“Never again!”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Belleville
Crete, Illinois, United States
“Never again!”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I wasn't expecting Buckingham Palace for the price. But I did expect cleanliness and common courtesy. The lobby and front outdoor area of the hotel are nice and clean. The sad thing is you can tell someone exists who are trying to make this a nicer place. I checked in late and the girl was pleasant. I got upstairs (3rd floor) and got into my room. The carpets were stained with many black marks, plus I got a 2 double bed room when I reserved a King. The same guests were constantly parked on the hotel computer in the lobby on Facebook. One attendant constantly had his friends stopping back to loiter and make noise outside of the lobby. I found a bug on my pillow when I pulled my sheets back. The guy next door to me came in drunk and he and his girlfriend got into a fight about it. She couldn't care less that other guests were on the floor...screamed constantly for a half hour in the hall and in their room. Slammed each other and other things against the walls and were punching the walls and doors. Figuring this dispute needed police attention, I called the front desk to report it. Problem is I hit "0" and the front desk guy answered and the phone in my room was so old, he couldn't even hear me. Obviously not wanting to get caught in the crossfire of the fight, I did not leave my room to take the elevator down stairs. Like another guest who posted in these forums, I went to check out and the guy who happened to be my next door guest apologized to me. I have a feeling he knew the employees there and they asked him to do it. I was not offered compensation for any of it. DO NOT BE FOOLED. STAY FAR FAR AWAY!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Super8GeneralManager, General Manager at Super 8 Belleville, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Steve,
I apologize that it has taken some time for me to respond to your review. Please know first and foremost, this is not norm for my hotel. I do sincerely aplogize you encountered this horrible situation during your stay. Unfortunetly my front desk staff cannot control what happens in each guest room, we are only able to handle situations as their are brought to our attention. I apologize that this was not handled in a better manner. I do assure you, however, that my front desk attendant at the time did not have any affiliation with this situation. It is against employee policy to establish any type of friendship or relationship with any guest.
After investigation of your stay, I noticed we had an overbooking issue on your day of check in, therefore, you were given a free upgrade. Lastly, Steve, please know, again, this is not norm for my hotel as stated earlier. It is my goal to provide each and every guest with a welcoming, relaxing, and enjoyable stay each time they choose Super 8 of Belleville. I can only hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with the wonderful stay you deserve. Please accept a $39.95 managerial coupon, good for a king or double queen room, any day you choose as my personal apology. If you would like to discuss anything further or have any questions, please feel free to contact me at any time. Thank you again and we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Kettering, Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is my second stay here. It was OK for the price, but it was not as good as it was the first time. My room was not made up on my second day. The reason given was because I had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door prior to 9:45 a.m. (They never came back to check after 10 a.m.)

The day before, the room was OK, but there was no coffee for the coffee maker - told they had run out and that they would give me packets they have had "lying around for a real long time".

Both days there were a group of young adults (very early 20's) who seemed to know the employees. I think they may have been the cleaning crew. Anyway, they were loud both afternoons, and it seemed like all the employees liked to skip out for a smoke.

Breakfast was OK, but not as good as last year.

I'd stay here again when in the area. The lake is nice and there is a good restaurant on the corner across from the Shell station. But, I think this place is on the edge of either going onwards or downwards. They need to raise the price a little and get rid of the long-stay residents in order to keep my business. The trend doesn't look good.

Room Tip: South side rooms are away from the freeway, but get hit with bright sunshine.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Michigan
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel three times. Last year it was not too bad. Somewhat clean and daily cleaning service (clean towels, empty trash) was good. This year I have stayed in March for 6 days....the room was pretty bad. The room was on the first floor and not clean. The room did have clean towels each day and the trash emptied. My last stay was recent, June 2012. I request a room on the third floor since that was where my first stay was. The room was not real clean either. The mirrors had been cleaned with a greasy rag it looked like. Very cloudy and streaked. On three of the days I returned to the room after a long day to find that the towels had not been replaced and the trash not emptied. The cleaning cart was down the hall so I assumed the staff was on their way. After 30 minutes I walked to the cart, several rooms had the door propped open with no staff in sight. I took the towels I needed and a trash can liner. I called the front desk to notify them of this and they apologized and said they would come up to get the trash that I put outside my door. The next morning the trash was still there! I took that down to the cleaning cart and deposited it there. The next day the room had been cleaned (except for the mirrors and the tub and sink were bad before I got there) except the washclothes were missing. The next day the trash had been emptied and the soiled towels picked up but no towels replaced. Sigh...... I also notied that the fire extinguisher in the hallway had not been inspected since 2010. I will not return to this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Belleville hotels

Garrett
Reviewed April 19, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for one night recently and believe me that was plenty. When we first arrived in our room there was a dirty towel on the floor by the window. The room had an odd oder to it. The coffee pot was coated in dust. The bedspread looked like it hadn't been washed for a long time and was very outdated. We returned to the hotel later that evening (midnight) one room on our floor had their window open and music was blasting from it. This continued for at least another hour. At 3 am in the morning we were awakened by two people screaming at each other in the hallway, this lasted for at least 10 minutes if not longer. Upon check out in the morning all we received was an apology for the noise, no offer of compensation. While this was a cheap hotel we did expect a little more than what we got.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2012

we recently stayed at the Super 8 motel in belleville michigan to take advantage of the stay, park and fly. they offer terrific rates for this service. the motel is aging but is under new management now and you can see that they are perking it up. the room was fine and the bed was one of the nicest that we have ever slept on. very clean and well kept. there was a continental breakfast in the am and the shuttle was right on time. we left our car at the side of the hotel where it was in view of the staff daily. great 'bang for your buck'. we will be staying there again for the same deal in a few weeks and i look forward to it. i have recommended this place to a few friends and they are taking advantage of the great deal as well. the staff really makes it better too! thanks Anna and the Super 8 staff!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeannecp55
Super8GeneralManager, General Manager at Super 8 Belleville, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! Im so glad we were able to make your stay the best it could be. My staff and I strive to make each and every guest feel welcome when they stay here at the Super 8. It would be our pleasure to have you back any time! Thank you again for taking the time out of your day to review our hotel.
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We just spent a night here before an early morning flight out of DTW. We were pleasantly surprised by how clean the rooms were. Conveniently located near a Walmart and Meijers, it was great for picking up last minute supplier before our trip. Free Wifi didn't work at first, but managed to connect in the morning. The staff was friendly and helpful - both at night and in the early morning hours before our pick up. Thanks to a Swarmjam, it was only $40 for a night and 6 nights parking. Shuttle service was also prompt, quick and courteous. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank wheresheroams
London
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We stayed here for one night - the reception staff in the evening was polite and courteous but the morning lady could not be bothered. The room was spacious and clean, the shower brilliant but we later discovered that some of the room lamps and the hair drier were not working.
The hot water in the machine for tea at breakfast was luke warm so we had to make hot tea back in the room with the coffee machine.
The situation of this motel is handy as there is a Burger King walking distance.

Room Tip: Check the room lamps and hair dryer are working before accepting the room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belleville
Red Roof Inn Detroit Metro Airport Belleville
Holiday Inn Express Belleville
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 5 in Belleville
Hampton Inn Detroit Belleville
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ann Arbor
Comfort Inn Metro Airport

Been to Super 8 Belleville? Share your experiences!