“Ski in ski out!”

Shanty Creek Resorts - Cedar River Village
Chicago
“Ski in ski out!”
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We stayed in a two story condo in Cedar River over the past weekend. We checked in on Thursday and left late on Sunday. We were able to check in early and check out late. That was great since it allowed us to ski all day Thursday and my older kids who didn't arrive until Friday night got most of the day on Sunday to ski.

The condo was impeccable. There were two master suites, each with a king size bed. There was another big bedroom with two queens and a loft with two pull out beds. There was also a little den downstairs with a pullout. There were flat screen TVs showing cable with all the movie channels. There was a fire place, three full baths and a half bath. It was great to have a garage to drive into to unload and to use as staging to go to and come from skiing.

The condo was very clean and the bed sheets were high quality. The furniture and beds were comfortable and the kitchen stocked with pots, pans, utensils etc. There could have been a few more towels but we made do.

The skiing was pretty good over the weekend and all the hills and trails were open. The staff on the hills was friendly and my snowboarders loved the terrain park. We have skied at Shanty probably more than 20 times but this was the first time staying in Cedar River. Given a chance we will definitely do it again. The outdoor pool and the two hot tubs were nice. I wish there was even a simple weight/exercise room there too.

Room Tip: My first time in Cedar River but we had a great condo. #506
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LoveSunBeachMountain

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed July 20, 2011

This was our second time staying here.I am glad that they are undergoing extensive remodeling--- it was time! This is a 3.5 star hotel. The restaurant in Cedar River was fast, but I unfortunately I caught a glimpse of the kitchen and it looked pretty dirty. I heard they are lacking chairs by the pool--- people were grumbling, and the front desk said there was nothing they could do. I like this hotel and location. I am happy they are undergoing changes. I will absolutely be staying here next year.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank lindz3
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We stayed at Cedar River Village for 3 nights. I attended a conference and my family skied and snowboarded. The room was nice. We had a 2 BR suite. It had 2 baths. If you're traveling with kids, the extra space in the 2 BR suite vs. the 1 BR suite is worth the extra cost. The room was clean. It lacked a DVD player, paper towels, and oven mitts. We had to call housekeeping for a toaster and a working coffeemaker. The water pressure in the shower was very weak because they must have had a flow restrictor in place to conserve water.

The breakfast buffet at the meeting was below expectations. The food didn't taste fresh. The bacon was exceptionally bad. We had a lunch at Ivan's at Schuss Village, and the service was a bit slow. Two of my teenage boys wouldn't eat the pepperoni pizza after waiting about an hour for it, because they said it was too greasy. (I've never seen them turn down pizza before!) I had a hamburger and fries and they were a bit overdone for my taste. One of my kids had chicken strips and fries and he thought they were okay.

Since I was unimpressed with the food, we drove to Elk Rapids one night for dinner at Siren Hall and had an outstanding dinner. Another night we drove to Moka's in Bellaire and had some delicious pizza. I highly recommend both places.

On checking out, I was unpleasantly surprised by the 9% resort fee. I guess the free shuttle, pool, and wi-fi weren't free after all. They should add the 9% to the room rate and eliminate the fee. They should also remind you of the fee at check-in, and make it more obvious on the web site. To find it on the web site you have to click on terms and conditions, then scroll down to the second page.

If I were attending a meeting at Shanty Creek, I would stay here again. I'm not sure I would choose to stay here if I were traveling with my family for leisure. The mandatory resort fee is lame, and the food service didn't meet expectations.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Eyed0c
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I wasn't really looking forward to staying here because we had stayed at Shanty Creek (hotel and condo on different trips) and we were unimpressed. Cedar River was very nice and we were so pleased. We stayed in a suite in the lower level (basement) that had a sliding door leading out to the pool. The two rooms were clean and bright and cheerful. The bathroom was large and had a stall shower and a whirlpool type tub. We paid $179.00 per night with the AAA rate. The negatives were...the grill for breakfast was not very good , the pillows and sheets and blankets were not the nicest and the air conditioner really blew a ton of cold air right at the bed. A nice amenity is the free shuttle that will drive one to the other villages or even into Bellaire. I will be staying here again.
Check out my other reviews on Trip Advisor and you will see that I am a harsh, but fair : ) critic!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed April 25, 2010

My company this past year had an extended business convention at the resort. We stayed at the Cedar River Resort. The rooms had been remodeled and were 5 stars. The grounds were kept well and made for a nice setting viewing from our balconies. Our meeting room was well laid out and the staff did a great job servicing our needs. We had dinner at the summit village and the food was top notch, along with the service. Our large group golfed one afternoon. The course was challenging and fun. The staff again was very accommodating allowing us to do a shotgun start.

My company has plans again in the near future for another business meeting at Shanty Creek. We recommend the facility to any business for this type of need.

Kevin Kobbins
Energy Division Manger
Hamilton Farm Bureau

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
lake villa, illinois
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Cedar Village was very nice. Loved our clean, modern room (except for being over the loud air conditioners) and loved the outdoor pool which we had to ourselves almost every afternoon. The front desk staff was neutral - not extremeley friendly or helpful but answered direct questions sufficiently. Housekeeping was very good, daily service was unexpected but appreciated. Loved the full kitchen (we had a 1BR suite with full kitchen). The indoor pool at Lakeview hotel was disgusting. Obviously the "$10 million renovation" did not include the pool area. Cracked tile, moldy grout, and brown scum did not compliment the very 70's dark cave-like decor! The fitness center also looked very outdated and basic. My impression of the Lakeview hotel was overall not that good. It was just okay, I wouldn't recommend it. The village at Schuss we saw when we visited Ivan's. The food there was not very good, and the service not very good. The outer appearance of Schuss village is very outdated, in drastic need of renovation and updating. Landscaping and grounds were very pretty everywhere. The kids eat and play free was really a rip off. The kids menu is the same lousy 5 options everywhere. How many times can my kids eat mac n' cheese or a frozen pizza? One night we ordered an appetizer for my son (quesadilla) that was less $ than a kids menu item and the waitress said it didn't qualify since it wasn't from the kids' menu. Service at the pro shop was inconsistent. It was sometimes very good, and sometimes very bad. One day we had the definite feeling we were being turned away (sorry no golf carts available) because we had kids with us. All of the shops at Summit were closed the entire time. The one restaurant (Arnie's) at Cedar River was not open for dinner and both restaurants are closed on Mondays, and Cedar River has no room service, which was inconvenient for us one day. Downtown Bellaire is cute but suffering from the economy. The spa doesn't do nails (?) and that was a bummer but my husband said the massage he got was good. The wireless internet was awesome. Overall I would consider staying at Cedar Village again but definitely not at either of the other 2 villages. I probably wouldn't recommend this resort to someone else since the quality was so inconsistent from village to village and with the staff service.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank momof2illinois
Rochester, Mi
Reviewed September 24, 2008

Stayed here for the weekend with another couple in the 2-bedroom corner suite---WOW! Very spacious, clean and more than enough room to relax. Both bedrooms were large with plenty of storage space. And the bathrooms were enormous! Each bedroom had a balcony overlooking the golf course. Linens were fluffy and very clean. Had breakfast at the Grille downstairs and it was adequate but overpriced. Staff was very accommodating. Common space decor was a little stark--non existent would be more like it. But the suite was so nice and very relaxing that this could be overlooked. We'd stay here again.

• Liked — Beautiful spacious suite
  • Disliked — A little remote
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellaire
Schuss Village-Shanty Creek Resorts
#3 of 4 in Bellaire
All Seasons Resort
All Seasons Resort
#1 of 4 in Kalkaska

Been to Shanty Creek Resorts - Cedar River Village? Share your experiences!