“Great for families & kids”

Shanty Creek Resorts
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Bellaire
More attraction details
Owner description: An iconic ski and golf resort in northern Michigan, Shanty Creek Resorts is a three-resort experiences in one. Its three villages of SCR (Summit, Cedar River and Schuss) span 4,500 acres across hardwood forests, rolling meadows and atop mountain bluffs with miles of scenic vistas. With nearly 500 lodging options, multiple dining venues, four award-winning golf courses, two ski mountains, an 8-lane tubing park, six terrain parks, and a fitness center and wellness spa, plus over 35,000 sq ft of conference and special event space, Shanty Creek Resorts has been an Up North destination for generations.
Wyandotte, Michigan
“Great for families & kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

This was our second stay at Schuss Mountain and it's been wonderful both times. My kids and I are fairly new skiers and Schuss is the perfect place to learn and we had SO much fun!
The bunny hill with the "Magic Carpet" lift was a perfect place for my kids to learn our first time out, and this time we were able to go on the Green & even some Blue slopes! There are clearly slopes for more advanced skiers, but the fact that as novice skiers we were able to ski so many of the trails makes this a fantastic resort for families. And one of the slopes was even a mile long! Also, the ski-lift operators really help out when they see novices and young kids, which is certainly not true of all ski resorts. In fact everyone is incredibly nice, friendly, and helpful in a charming small-town way.
Foodwise, Ivan's is a terrific restaurant (I recommend the pizza for the best value), and though the menu isn't very extensive, the food was delicious and service was excellent, and we loved that we could just ski right up to it.
I wouldn't recommend Summit Mountain, though. The trails are far fewer and shorter, the lifts are much older, and it just seems less friendly... Although Summit does have a fancy restaurant with a nice view, it's not the kind of place you could just ski into, grab a bite, and ski out.
But I cannot recommend Schuss Mountain enough. I've priced out some other ski resorts, and this one is clearly the best value i've seen around... But best of all, my kids talked and reminisced about this trip for months after we got back -- and that, as they say, is priceless :-)

Visited February 2014

Grand Rapids, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Recent conference”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

I will not lie, some of the employees were nice. And the rooms and view were nice. Those however are the only positives I can pull from my recent trip here. Management certainly treated us with no sincerity or understanding of our situation. The hotel management consistently flipped on MANY MANY MANY things that we had previously agreed to and by the end of our trip it felt like we had spent more time adjusting our plans to their liking instead of actually doing the things we had planned. The meal came in at much more than had previously been expected.We also came here on an off season for them and filled 1 and a half floors of the hotel so you'd think they might show some appreciation, however at the end of our stay our group had over $1300, yes $1300 dollars in fines of the most absurd and in my opinion potentially illegal fines. Safe to say they have lost our continued business and anyone within my circle of family friends associates or social media will know my disdain for this company.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank TripStar810
Troy Michigan
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Stay at this Lodge!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stayed right at the Schuss Mountain Lodge this time because this was a quick weekend ski trip, and we wanted to get as much skiing in as possible in the two and a half days we had. The rooms at the Schuss mountain lodge were much better than expected. I was expecting a little run down hotel room, but these rooms were fairly modern looking and were very well kept. Even though they did not mention it, my room had a small fridge and microwave. We had a package deal with breakfast at the on-site restaurant, Ivan's, which was very welcome as well. Another surprise as the breakfast was a buffet style (good for families) with a gentleman that makes wonderful & huge omelette's to order! One omelette and juice and your good until dinner. It was a great stay. Just one word of warning is that Ivan's is expensive for what you get for lunch and dinner, but this breakfast buffet was fine.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank ATravel0r
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Great Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

We had a great time at Shanty Creek. Our condo was spacious and comfortable with a great view. There was a nice fireplace in the unit for evening fires - there was plenty of wood available to burn. We skied both Schuss and Summit mountains and the kids had a great ski instructor. The kids had a blast at the hotel pool. The shuttle bus took us everywhere we needed to go. Overall is was much nicer than we expected. We'll be coming back.

Visited December 2013

Manistee, Michigan, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Shanty Creek Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had a great time at Shanty Creek. The room was beyond our expectations, very nice and very comfortable. The skiing was awesome and the staff was great. We enjoyed the outside pool and the breakfast bar. All in all it was a great weekend.

Visited January 2014