All reviews satellite tv ceiling fan coffee maker and microwave no air conditioning ferry lighthouse
Reviewed November 1, 2016

I stayed at this motel last summer. The hosts were friendly and helpful. The view was gorgeous. The room was great, very clean, with satellite TV and a refrigerator and microwave and full bath. I only stayed one night, but will certainly stay longer next chance I get!

Date of stay: July 2016
3  Thank 700bubbles
erinmotel, Owner at Erin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2017

Thank you and we're looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed January 9, 2016

I have traveled weekly for over 20 years. At 50 weeks x 20 years, Conservatively, I have stayed in at least 1000 hotel rooms. And, this hotel was, hands-down, the most disgusting hotel room I have ever stayed in. The most egregious offense were the bed bugs. My wife was literally covered in bed bug bites, we lost count at 150. And, one even traveled home with us.

When I called the owner to complain, he said he never had bed bugs at the hotel yet the Trip Advisor reviews tell a different story. The owner was supposed to refund my money but has thus far failed to do so. Thus, not only did I have to pay for a foul hotel room but I also had to pay for a doctor visit, dry cleaning, and new luggage.

In addition to the bed bugs, the sheets, pillows and mattress were stained. And, the toilet and toilet seat were stained, to the point that we almost didn't want to use it. The bathroom was moldy and there was a hole in the floor covered by a towel. We stayed in room 10. Yes, it's a great location but that is the ONLY positive thing I have to say about the hotel. We would have left after the first night but there was, quite literally, no where else to stay on the island.

The owner, Roy Elsworth, is a dishonest businessman. He said that he would refund my money. However, he has yet to do so and is no longer answering my calls or emails. For your own health and safety, do not stay at this hotel.

Room tip: Do NOT stay in Room #10 on the corner unless you want bed bugs
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
11  Thank motw415
erinmotel, Owner at Erin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2017

For any travelers that read this unfortunate review, please be assured that these claims are false. My Father, Roy, is deceased and was the epitome of honesty and integrity. As We strive to live up to his fine example. We have full documentation that The Erin is pest free. Updates and repairs have and continue to be made to our simple facility. Thank you.

Reviewed December 17, 2015

The folks at the Erin are always friendly, kind and helpful. The owner has loaned me his vehicle, after mine went on the ferry; he has made laundry services available to me. He started a bonfire on the well-groomed beach, for my friends and I to enjoy after dark. Always pleasant and clean, pet-friendly and close to everything!

Room tip: ask for water view
Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
4  Thank Cindy R
Reviewed August 17, 2015 via mobile

I am on the ferry heading back from the island. Had a terrific stay at the Erin. The people there are terrific and were very accommodating to special requests. The up north, laid back atmosphere was terrific but the view of the lake was down right Spectacular!

The bed was comfy and flat screen tv was not used but available. They have beach front fire pits, again not used but available.

The room was dated but very comfy. Both a mini fridge and microwave were also included.

We were looking for dog friendly accommodations and they were very welcoming to our well traveled dogs.

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Traveled on business
5  Thank Rhonda W
Reviewed June 23, 2015

Great location, great views on Lake Michigan side, accepts pets (wonderful!), but in need of many updates and could be cleaner. The bedding, furniture, bathroom - all need to be modernized. We stayed in June 2015 and they have upgraded to flat panel TVs and have wifi. I was pleased to have a small refrigerator and microwave, but you just didn't want to spend a lot of time in the room, which means you are enjoying the charms of Beaver Island more, I suppose. I would seek out alternative lodging or even try airbnb for places to rent that allow pets. I suppose if we'd only paid $50 or less for the room, I couldn't complain, but it was three times that when we went, per night. I give it two stars b/c of the view, proximity to town, and that it allows pets. Nice guy runs it, but it seems like it's being run into the ground :(

Room tip: Choose Lake Michigan side for nice view
Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jennifer T
erinmotel, Owner at Erin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2017

We regret your visit with us was not what you expected. Our Father was ill and did the best he could and has since passed away. We hope you are able to stay with us again sometime. Thank you for your feedback.