“YUCK!”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Bay City
muddinangel
“YUCK!”
Reviewed January 12, 2011

HORRIBLE stay. In the first room the bed would knock up against the wall if you bumped it, we asked for another room and the front desk staff had no problem finding us another room. No frig, no microwave, and only a 19 inch TV. The room was either too cold or too hot and the lack of humidity left both my husband and I feeling sick the next morning. The bar staff was sub-par with the exception of our waitress. The staff seemed more interested in partying themselves than waiting on anyone. The bartender was a blonde bimbo that was more interested in flirting with the guys, then getting me my beer, then was rude enough to mumble something when I didn't tip her. TIP stands for To Insure Promptness - Get a clue, sweetie! There were people at 3 am outside our door having a great time, too bad we were still trying to sleep. The breakfast was ok, but you had to pay $5 for an omelet. I honestly think they are using the word "Resort" in the wrong context here. The whole place is a maze, going up and down stairs to get to your room, I was waiting for Jack Nicholson to come around one of the corners and scream, "Here's Johnny!"

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank muddinangel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed November 26, 2010

I definitly will check Trip Advisor before I stay in a hotel like the Bay City Resort. If you are use to stayin in chain hotel, this hotel is not the one for you. The place is in need of a revonation, the roooms are very old.
I was there to attend a conference in Bay City, MI they play music in the Bar on Friday and Saturday nights. Kids ran up and down the halls late into the night (pass 1:00 am). The staff couldn't seem to control them. If I ever have to go back to Bay City, I will stay at the Doubletree

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Phyllica

Travelers are raving about these Bay City hotels

Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed October 5, 2010

We stayed here during the Bay City Tall Ship Festival and it was full. When we arrived a 4pm our room was not yet ready and there were dozens of people sitting around the lobby with the same problem. There were a lot of workers at the check-in desk but only one seemed to know what was going on and they looked overwhelmed. An hour later we were given the key to our room but it didn't work and we had to go back to the front desk for another. The room itself was ok. The air conditioner couldn't keep up but it was the hottest day of the summer so I could understand that. The hotel is a bit dated even though you can tell that it was once a showplace when it was first built and the lobby still is very nice.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Beverly Hills, Michigan
Reviewed June 17, 2010

I have been reading reviews from Tripadvisor for years. Every time I book a hotel or trying to decide between several hotels, I usually check the reviews on this site first. I have never written my own review though because usually I find the existing reviews give a good overall picture of each property. I feel compelled to write one for Bay Valley because I feel that the reviews here don't do it justice. It is one of the best value hotels I've ever stayed in. We paid $69 per night and includes a continental breakfast in the morning. The breakfast is not bad at all, including 4 types of cereal to choose from, bagels, danishes, fresh fruits, yogurt, boiled eggs, orange and cranberry juice, coffee, etc. We have a toddler so the breakfast was more than adequate for us. You can also pay an extra $5 for made to order omelet.

There's an indoor/ outdoor pool. And we liked that they opened the indoor pool part even when it was rainy outside. That gave us something to do on a rainy day. They also have Bath and Body Works toiletries. The staff and housekeeping crew were very friendly and helpful.

The location is a bit far from the center of town but if you have a car, it doesn't really matter anyways. It's right off of Interstate 75. The golf course is beautiful and we will definitely stay there again for the same price.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Harrisville, Michigan
Reviewed March 27, 2010

We enjoyed the elegance of Bay Valley; the rooms were very clean and the pool and hot tub were terrific. There is more to this resort than modern plastic chains. The included continental breakfast could have been expanded some, since this is a resort, but other than that, it was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
South Dakota
Reviewed September 13, 2009

To begin with, I reserved a standard double and was put in a room with a king. The hootin, hollerin, and cussing from a bar full of men was so bad that I felt like I was back in a college dormitory. On a Friday night, it was so bad that I requested another room but the front desk never called back to address my request.
It's an older hotel so I feel they should be cut some slack as to the condition of the room but there was enough evidence to honestly say it was dirty and in disrepair.
The ad says they provide complimentary contintental breakfast but they ended up charging for an absolutely minimal buffet that served cold eggs, sausages, and hash browns. If that wasn't bad enough, they ran out of eggs and it was a long wait for the resupply.
If you want to party all night and have a convenient place to crash, this is your hotel otherwise I highly recommend staying ANYWHERE else!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MeanderingMax
MI
Reviewed September 13, 2009

The "balcony" was a sliding glass door that opened about 4 inches. The hotel has blocked the balcony windows from opening more then a few inches. Maybe because the "balcony" floor was rotting? It looked like it. The live band in the bar was so loud, it seemed like they were in the room. They play till midnight. When the front desk was called to request a different room, they said they would call back...they never did. The walls were dirty and the drapes were stained. There was no valet service available. When asked the front desk person provided some type of cart....problem since the place does not have an elevator and you cannot get the cart up and down the stairs.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends