“Location, Location, Location”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Bay City
Michigan
“Location, Location, Location”
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We visited over Labor Day weekend and found a great package that included golf/breakfast/room. We had a great time.

First the Pros: Location, I loved how easy it was to hop on the highway or freeway to get where you needed to be. I loved also the full service resort amenities. We could walk down to the lounge, eat dinner at the restaurant, swim, or golf so we had much to choose from. Value- LIke stated, we found a great package so the value was PERFECT. Check in/Check out was very quick. Making a tee time was a breeze.

Cons: The resort is an older hotel, it was evident in various parts of the resort but again, these are simply aesthetic preferences. Our bed was VERY comfortable. We didn't have the best service in the lounge or restaurant. Both servers were slow and we waited a while for our drinks and food. The fitness room was under construction. You might want to request a room also not too close to the lounge. Our room was very close and we could hear the music but it didn't bother us because we went out for both evenings but if we stayed in, the noise would've been a problem if we were trying to sleep.

All in all, I rated it average. I've been in worse hotels and I've been in better. I certainly wouldn't avoid the resort because my husband and I had a fantastic weekend getaway. The golf course was beautiful and the pool and hot tub were great to relax in. The location is great and I would recommend this to a friend. We had a great time.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
kpatton
Reviewed May 19, 2009

I stayed at Bay Valley Hotel and Resort the night before my wedding and the night of my wedding. The entertainment in the lounge was great. We enjoyed our stay at Bay Valley so much. I would recommend it to anyone who is staying in the area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, MD
Reviewed May 12, 2009

I had the pleasure of being in Saginaw/Bay City last week and my company put me up at the Bay Valley Hotel and Resort. While the hotel was a tad bit dated, the rooms were clean and the service was friendly. What I really loved was the 18 hole golf course. For only 20 dollars and change, I played the course from the back tees and was delighted with the challenge. For those of you that associate Michigan with bad weather and snow, this golf course could not have been in better shape. The fairways were lush and the greens rolled very nice. Had drinks and dinner in the bar overlooking the golf course. Any where else this course would have cost $100.00 plus. What a wonderful treat. And this hotel fit into my travel per diem despite having "resort" in the name.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Taylor
Reviewed May 8, 2009

We stayed on a Friday-Sunday for our state bowling tournament. We did not book these rooms ourselves, but the group we bowled with did. To begin with, the best looking part of this "resort" (I guess because they have golf, they can be a resort?) was the lobby & restaurant area. The rate we paid was more than we could've booked online ourselves (we paid 79, they had rooms online for 64, and they booked months in advance!) The room was small, and had the same mystery stain on the wall mentioned in another review. The screen door to patio would not lock, and had rips in it, so couldn't leave open much for the breeze. We were on the golf side, so at least the view was okay. What was not okay was the numerous posts and other things sticking up out of said patio, looks from when they took down walls between the rooms/patios. You guessed it, I tripped on one on Friday afternoon, injuring myself. When I called to ask the desk if they had any first aid supplies, like Neosporin, was told to "come to the desk to get some bandaids". That totally upset me, and I said you bring them to me. Finally someone did bring them, but no kind of antiseptic or anything. Went to Meijer in town to buy my own. They said they would "cone off" the area where I fell, and get back to me before I checked out on Sunday. They did neither. The front desk staff couldn't even find a copy of my injury report when I checked out, so I'm left to try to contact them to get one. I did file a 2nd copy since by then I was brusing up & had some swelling going on rather nicely, lol. Needless to say, I did not enjoy myself, and being stiff & in pain didn't bowl the greatest either. So that just added insult to injury, so to speak. But the only good thing was the $5 omelet at breakfast, it was very good. OH, and don't get hungry late, because the fast food places closed at 10 pm.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Bay City hotels

GRAND RAPIDS
Reviewed November 2, 2008

We travel a lot and have started asking to see a room before we check-in at most hotels. Sometimes we are handed keys, sometimes we are escorted and shown a room, sometimes we are asked for ID or credit card before being shown a room. At this establishment the young man at the counter chose to ignore our request to see a room before we paid, asked for a credit card and charged it. He handed us a receipt and keys and we angrily asked why our card had been charged when we just asked to see a room. The guy was rude and we were treated very unprofessionally. The room was small but nicely decorated. The pool area was in dire need of a renovation. The lobby, bar, and dining area all exceeded the types of places we usually stay. The following morning we complained about the previous nights encounter at the front desk and were given a number to call. They two women apologized but both seemed very under-dressed for a hotel as nice as this one. If the service at check in had been better I would definately recommend. For $5 you get a great hot breakfast or a cold one for free.

• Liked — Visually, very nice, from teh lobby to the bar, dining room and the hotel room, very nice.
  • Disliked — Rude customer service at check-in, the rest of the staff seemed pleasant, breakfast cook was very nice.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank digitalmonkeys
Detroit
Reviewed October 27, 2008

I booked for 2 nights in Oct 2008 and specified that I want a non-smoking room with a view of the golf course, and that was agreed, and they even said the room has free wi-fi.
Upon arrival, I was given a room that overlooked the parking, not the golf course. The room was stinking of smoke, the showers were rusted, the air conditioning/heating was ancient and twice I saw spiders crawling across the floor.
I pointed this out to the front desk and was told that all the non-smoking and golf view rooms have been booked out.
A circuit breaker kept tripping and the bathrooms were out of electricity for most of the night.
The next morning I tried the wi-fi - it did not work.

I went and complained again and asked to check out, and now there was a non-smoking room available with golf view. They said they would help me move, but there was nobody to do it.

This room was much cleaner than the first, but wi-fi still didnt work and they had no clue why.
I wanted to order for room service, and was asked to come out and grab the menu myself.
The menu card didnt have any prices printed on it, and when I called them, they had no idea how to find out the prices.

I wonder how this place is still in business. I will never go back again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Room and Staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Toronto
Reviewed September 4, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights. The resort is old, 60-70ish style of hotel. They serve a continental breakfast that is so-so but for $3-4 more you can get some cooked to order eggs which was convenient. The resort is close to the highway making it accessable but there is absolutely nothing in the immediate area other than a couple fastfood places. Golf is right at the resort. Our room was situated far enough from the bar so we were not disturbed by the very loud live band. The room was in great need of a makeover (stains on the wall that we chose not to examine too closely). We had a king size bed that was so soft and lumpy I felt like I was about to fall out when I rolled over. Possibly the worst thing I have ever attempted to sleep on. I can forgive a lot in a hotel but the bed must be comfortable. I would have told the hotel staff all this had anyone asked how my stay was. Stay at the Doubletree or the Quality Inn instead. You'll enjoy that a lot more.

• Liked — easy access to highway
  • Disliked — room and bed were unacceptable
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple