“Nightmare!”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Bay City
Caledon, Canada
“Nightmare!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed at this location back 5 or 6 years ago when I could have written a favourable review however this property has slipped downhill in a terrible way. The building is showing wear as well as the rooms with beat up furniture, worn carpet, dirty halls, just an over all disappointment.
The staff are also very poorly trained, when spoken to about an issue they refer you to a comment card rather than taking responsibility for an issue.
The pool on Sunday is not only for quests but for Staff & Family so our experience to sit and relax in a quiet area was more than disappointing with children running, screaming and just being inconsiderate to other paying guests.
Without being informed the dinning room closes on Sunday nights at 8:00 PM so we again were disappointed and had to find alternative source for supper since we showed up at 8:10 PM to find the kitchen was closed.
We had reserved a King Bed Suite but when we arrived the room as my wife and another couple traveling with us all agreed was "Very Creepy" so we changed to a regular room with a King bed. The staff told me they could not change the rate that day, and that it could be done the next day on Monday when management were available. I spoke with the GM and she assured me she would look after the charges for our room. So far it has not been done. Now we know why the staff are so poorly trained when a GM cannot live up to her own word!! - should we fill out a comment card???
Find alternative accommodations in near by Saginaw so you are not disappointed

Room Tip: Choose Alternative Accommodations!
2 Thank dave h

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Alger, Michigan
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have been going to Bay Valley for years and have watched it change hands many times. The golf course is challenging, and after a change in ownership again, seems to be going in the right direction. Yes, the hotel is older but they are updating the rooms as well as remodeling the entire complex, which is why we decided on having the wedding/reception there. We were not disappointed! The staff was great, the food excellent, and the wedding and reception was one to remember. All 250 guests were comfortable in the newly remodeled reception area, there was plenty of room, and we didn't want for anything. Here's a BIG shout out to Bay Valley, and I highly recommend it to anyone thinking of having a wedding there...........

1 Thank Gene6685
Rachel K, Manager at Bay Valley Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for your response!

We are glad you included us in your son's big day!!

Bay Valley Staffing!
Reviewed July 12, 2013

For a busy holiday weekend I paid a reasonable price and received an OK experience. This hotel does not have a resort feel at all. It needs some serious updates in order to keep up. Even if I was not given the room I booked, my room was clean, but it had a strong odor of harsh chemicals. Other than that, the bed linen were clean, the wifi was at a good speed, and the staff was friendly. If you are going to stay here, do not go with high expectations.

Guelph, Canada
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Friends have been coming here for several years. This experience was less than anticipated. Friday night supper took 1 1/2 hours and when I received my "medium cooked" steak, the cow mooed back at me. After sending it back for more cooking it came out rare at best but then they forgot to warm up the rice so it was cold. Our group cancelled the Saturday supper and went elsewhere. Saturday morning shower was a real treat with cool to cold water. It seems the whole hotel was out of warm water. My wife complained of a "lumpy" bed while mine was OK. Most hotels provide daily shampoo, conditioner and soap. This one provided one "sample" container / package for the 3 day stay. Luckily, we brought our own. The golf experience suffered because of the rains they had so it was less than par but I'll blame the weather on soaked fairways; squishy tee decks; and mud bunkers. The beverage cart girl was great except for the fact that she had to cover the whole golf course so it took her way over an hour between visits. On the hot and humid Sunday, we didn't see her from hole number 7 thru hole number 15 which was far too long to be without any beverage (not talking beer either). Understaffed was the problem not the girl herself. Finally, this is NOT a resort but merely an old hotel in need of upgrading. My rating above terrible is only because of the friendly staff who tried to do their best. The owners need to pour some money into this place to bring it up to snuff and provide resort style customer service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank tryin4birdies

Travelers are raving about these Bay City hotels

Guelph, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This marks our 8th consecutive year for our couples Golf Weekend at Bay Valley and plans are already in the works for number 9 next year. We recognized on our first visit 8 years ago thay Bay Valley is an older Hotel, very much in need of modernization. We have noticed changes and improvements over the year and while I doubt that it will ever return to 4/5 star accommodation, we celebrate it for what it offers. They have a first class golf course attached to the hotel. The rooms are clean and quiet and you get a great Continental Breakfast in the morning before starting your day. It is close to great dining in both Saginaw and Bay City. The staff are very friendly and helpful and that goes a long way toward making us repeat customers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vicboy2
Michigan
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I would give this hotel a poor rating, but because the staff were so great I will say it's an average hotel. Definitely NOT a resort. The hotel is in major need of a remodel. The room we stayed in had 3 lamps, so it was very dark. Carpet and bedding showed it's battle wounds from it's years of use. There was a bunch of spider webs with dead spiders hanging out in the corner of the room by an electrical outlet. A plus was the many outlets in the room, 4 girls in a room, and we all had some sort of electronic device & lots of hair appliances, but had no problem because of the availability of outlets. I wore shoes the entire trip, and almost wished I had brought flip flops for the shower. In case you are wondering, there was no microwave or refrigerator in our standard room. There was a very cool inside pool that connects to the outside pool through a channel. They turned the heaters on in the pool around 9:30 pm the night we stayed. There is also a hot tub and a work out room. For the work out room, you need to go to the front desk for a key to get in, they will hold your license until you bring the key back. The equipment in the work out room was in working order, but probably on it's last hinges. The lobby looked very nice and well decorated. Continental breakfast was apples, oranges, mini muffins, danishes, and mini bagels. For hot breakfast you had to pay $5 extra each day. I did not pay for it, so I can not comment on how it was. Parking was free and the lot was spacious, so we did not have trouble finding a spot. There were a couple side entrances to the hotel, but you will need your room key to get in. Our floor also had a Women's and Men's Locker Room, that had changing stalls, showers, and toilets, so if you have a room full of people it's a nice extra commodity that you can use as a guest. Close to the highway, so easy on and off, but it's tucked in a spot where you did not hear any traffic or noise at night. Overall, you get what you pay for. If I have to, I will stay again but I will probably check out other hotels in the area first.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Watchb4go.com

1 Thank BeksTravel
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was recently at Bay Valley for a class reunion and could not have been more pleased. They cleared the furniture out of a suite for us so we could have a hospitality room, the individual rooms were comfortable and clean, and the meal and service was very good. There is easy access to the highway and a very nice golf course on site. Highly recommended

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends