“Pretty nice for the money”

Bay Valley Hotel and Resort
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Bay City
Reviewed November 21, 2007

Our family booked a very large group stay here recently. Because we were a large group we received a fabulous rate. A family member handled the bookings for us so I did not book the room and did not have any business with the front desk.

The lobby is very beautiful, but the layout of the hotel is a bit confusing. Our room was small, but very clean looking. However, it did smell of smoke. To be honest, I don't think it was a non-smoking room but I don't know that for certain. The halls looked clean to me.

My children really enjoyed staying here and loved the indoor/outdoor pool. We did not use the other facilities, such as the workout room or the golf course.

The food in the restaurant was delicious. The service was very friendly, even if a bit slow. We also took advantage of the bar onsite. The drinks were good and so was the food. Again, the service was extremely friendly.

I would come back again.

Stayed: November 2007
3  Thank M0ther_of_5

Reviewed July 18, 2007

We stayed two nights with several of our golfing friends, and I will never return, I called ahead of time to see if they accepted pets, and was told no, so I had to leave my yorkie with a border. Well, just down the hall, this filthly little Shitzu was running up and down the hall barking all night. I was furious, so I went to the front desk and the guy working told me it was his managers dog. So I asked why his manager brought it to work and he said, oh he lives here. Besides the dog, as all other reviewers rate, it is old, moldy, dirty and generally unkept. Don't waste your money.

Stayed: July 2007
6  Thank Tollie4
Reviewed November 30, 2006

My family attended a wedding this fall at the hotel.
We were excited to see my niece get married and were looking forward to our stay. The hotel appears to need a lot of work. The room in which my niece's reception was held was leaking right in front of the head table! There are stains on the carpet throughout the hallways, rooms and stairs. Staff never came around with coffee after dinner or at all for that matter. After the wedding, we went up to our room, which was supposed to have two beds, according to my reservation but it only had one bed! When I went down to the front desk, they said they couldn't do anything about it and I told them my husband and I have two children, we can't all sleep in one bed! They gave us two cots, free of charge, but the springs were poking out through the blankets on the one, so my daughter ended up sleeping with us anyway. The blankets on these cots were filthy. The hotel in general appeared to be in need of many repairs. We were extremely unhappy with entire stay.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank catherinerus12
Reviewed August 19, 2006

This hotel is on the yucky side. As another reviewer said, the lobby is nice, but the hallways and rooms are not that great. The hallways are very dark and there isn't an elevator. The hotel has a weird split-level layout and low ceilings in the halls.

We started out in a large room overlooking the golf course, which was supposed to be the best type of room in the hotel. Our room needed a redo in a major way. It had peeling wallpaper, a bad smell, and paper-thin walls. When I sat on the bed, I could feel the springs through the bedspread! We could hear our neighbor's children through the wall so well that it was like they were screaming in our room. We asked to change rooms because of the noise, and management acted promptly to help us. Our next room was quiet though it also had a bad smell.

The hotel has a decent bar setup. The bartender did a great job making our drinks, which is the reason I gave this hotel 2 stars instead of 1. The bar also has live entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights. The band wasn't the greatest, but we still had a good time hanging out drinking and listening to them. If you decide to stay at this hotel, make sure to ask for a room away from the bar. Some people we were traveling with had rooms near the bar and they said the band kept them up.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank triAdvisor
Reviewed August 22, 2003

Upon arrival, your inital impression of the resort is marvelous. A beautiful lobby, glamorous restaurant, fine pubic facilities and manicured grounds. Then it all goes downhill.

Hallways are dark, have a wood-mold smell and noticed light fixtures filled with dust and cobwebs. Rooms are small, but nicely appointed, but bathrooms seem to have original fixtures in them...we're talking about 30 years old!

It is not handicapped-friendly with the exception of the ground level.
Lots of stairs and an inconveniently placed elevator, primarily for public areas. Doors to the outside showed wood rot and general disrepair.

Grounds abound with natural beauty, highlighted by streams and a beautiful golf course. Fixing up the rooms and hallways would bring this resort into 4 star status, but for now, it's holding at a low two star level.

• Stayed: August 2003, traveled on business