“Don't waste your money at Niko's Family Diner in Bay City, MI”
Review of Bay City - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bay City
Cuisines: Fast Food
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We purchased discount tickets online to Niko's Family Diner in Bay City. Previously the restaurant had been Rudy Js and was very good, so we thought we'd check out the new owners. We should have known when we pulled in the lot on a Saturday at 1:30, and there were two cars there. The diner was nearly empty. We ordered a Chef Salad ($6.99) to start, and while they were nice enough to split it for us, my husband could not eat his because the Italian dressing was SUPER salty. Again,they were nice enough to bring a new salad for him with a different dressing. But the salad was still disappointing in that it only used iceberg lettuce, and no better greens.

We were also very disappointed with our entrees...my husband got the wet burrito, which appeared to be a very large flour tortilla rolled up over a small amount of beef, that was very dry. The burrito was mostly dough. He ate less than half because it was so unappetizing. My entree was the Steak Sandwich. The bread had a good taste because I think it was homemade, but there was almost no sauce at all, very little cheese, and I paid extra for mushrooms which could barely be found. There was absolutely no Italian/sauce taste, and the meat patty tasted like it was old, frozen and reheated...it was dry and tough and had bad taste. The french fries were also nearly raw.

We ate so little that we had to stop somewhere else later to get food.

Perhaps their Greek dishes are better, since the owners are Greek, but my Greek grandparents could both cook American food that would run circles around Nikos.

We will not be back.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

wish they had more activities to do in great lakes bay region. May be casinos ? Not many things other than frankenmuth and shopping.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Take a drive down Center Avenue and get a sense of splendor of Victorian homes. The City Hall is a highlight of the city, however closed due to a terrible accident.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We were looking for a place to eat memorial day, much of Bay City was closed for the day, because of the Memorial Day Holiday.
I was pleased to see that the Atrium was open. The new side of the restaurant was open it has a nice atmosphere. It was quiet and no other people were eating at the time of our visit. The Items that we ordered were not their most extravagant, but more Lunch venue, I had the Tuna tomato Salad, the Tuna was fresh tasting and not just the run of the mill tuna and mayo piled on top of a decoratively sliced tomato it came with i nice variety of crackers and ranch dressing and dipping veggi's. The Water that they put on the table came with lemon automatically without asking the Ice was fresh and the water tasted like it had been filtered. all under 7$. The four of us in our party shared a fruit and cheese plate we ordered extra for 6.99 it had several nicely arranged cheeses with crackers and and fruits, we nibble on that and talked while we waited for our food to arrive. My husband got a burger, as we all teased him that, that was what he always gets to eat. He enjoyed it, he's a fussy eater. The fancy fries that came with it were not to his liking, spiced, as I said he is fussy. But, my daughter liked them dipped into my ranch dressing.
My daughter loves the Tomato bisque Soup, she commented that she hoped that they didn't quit making it, as it was one of her favorites with the large chunks of tomato. All in all it was very enjoyable.