“Insulted by the manager about my ordering a med. rare steak”
Review of Barts

Barts
Ranked #122 of 182 Restaurants in Bay City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We were a party of four adults. Two of us ordered beef dishes; sirloin steak and Korean beef medallions. We both ordered them med. rare according to the photos on their menu. We were expecting the steak to look like the photos in terms of being red-pink inside. The sirloin arrived medium well, a little pink in some of the inside while well done on the outside. It was tough and not what I ordered. The individual who ordered the Korean beef medallions received burnt-black to well done strips of beef that were like leather. We told the server, who was very nice, then the manager came with our plate of food and shoved it in my husband's face and said to me, "You ordered wrong, if you had wanted med rare you should've ordered rare and then we cook it more if needed." He proceeded to insult me while holding the plate of food in front of my husband. I told him that I had looked at the photos on their menu and ordered accordingly.
I've never had a manager of a restaurant tell me that I ordered wrong and that it was my fault for over-cooked steak. I was very embarrassed in front of our other guests and other diners. I wanted to leave the place, but didn't as I didn't want to ruin our family's evening. He never apologized or said anything about the leathery Korean beef. He did come back a few mins later and said he'd looked at the photo and I was right, that the med. rare is redder than they cook it. They did cook us another steak and order of the Korean medallions...which weren't medallions but strips of meat. He did say the Korean beef was overdone due to it being different cuts of beef and it's hard to get them all done at the same time. (Get a better cook?) The next steak was satisfactory in terms of rareness (it was pink and not bloody) although it was grisly. I didn't complain. We paid the $70.00 bill for the four of us. All of us at the table were very shocked that the manager would berate a diner for how they ordered their steak! Unbelievable! I will never frequent Bart's again. P.S. Don't order the beer battered perch, it's mainly greasy batter and very little perch. The person who ordered it said it was the worse fish he's ever eaten. The pineapple/ham pizza was very good and I recommend it. I'd love to recommend a locally owned establishment but I cannot when the manager insults a customer who only wanted edible steak. By the way, there was no apology or discount for poor food as many places usually do; there was very little attempt to please the customer by the manager.
I agree with the other reviewer who said the place has potential and the previous owners made the establishment a place you wanted to frequent for dinner with friends and family. We will not be returning.

1  Thank msavalon

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The food at BARTs was very good. I had the brisket and it was tender and very juicy. My fiance had the stuffed chicken and it was amazing. We visited BARTs to start a weekend long brewery tour and unfortunately, there beer is just ok. There was nothing particularly wrong with it but it was nothing special. The worst thing was the service.

We had reservations for a Friday night not knowing what to expect and we walk and it was seat yourself. Since we already made reservations we went up to the bar to let them know we arrived as a courtesy. We stood there for 10 minutes while the bartender completely ignored us. While at the bar waiting, she seemed to intentionally avoid eye contact and when 2 others came up to the bar she instantly served them. There were only 4 people at the bar at the time. We tried to get her attention a few times and she turned her back to us and started talking to another waitress. We couldn't have done anything to upset her since we never even got to speak to her. We ended up finding another waitress to help us. Once we were seated, the service was slow but our waitress was very good.

I am not sure I will visit BARTs again. The food was wonderful and the beer ok but after the actions of the bartender, I don't think it would be worth going back. It is sad because this place has potential.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

Great food. Great service. Nice salads and steaks.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

Our dinners were fine but nothing you would write about. It was pretty empty for how nice the place is. Meal service was slow but we wanted to enjoy the beer anyways. Now the beer is as good as you can get. Each style (and we tried most of them) was a perfect example of what it should be like. Waitstaff was friendly.

Reviewed June 16, 2011

although it is June and they havent thought about getting the air conditioner working before summer apporached our visit was still enjoyable. thanks to the fast and friendly service we recieved and the 11 ice cold micro brews available on draft we will be back.

Been to Barts? Share your experiences!