“Hidden Gem in Bay City” 5 of 5 bubbles

38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem in Bay City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

This place is a state-of-the-aret planetarium, classrooms, owned by Delta College. THer eis a gift shop;, they show different shows for different audiences.. Children's shows a lot when school is on vacation, holidays,, but also regular scientific, but very easy to understand personally narrated shows for adults. There is an age limit to keep it quiet for paying audience. Price is under or about $5,, shows usually last about 45 minutes or so.. very well-worth the $$. Delta students get a discount by showing their student ID card!!

Visited February 2012
2 Thank lin c

Traverse City, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“We go every time we're in town.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

Can't get enough of the 360 degree roller coaster!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank K M
Midland, Michigan
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Very educational”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

Great place to learn more about our stars and solar system. Good for families.

Auburn, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great for field trips or rain day activities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

Fun place for the kids, I have been there on several fields trips and the staff is generally in a kid-friendly mood. I have also been then once on a more serious showing, they gave the show, and then we went on the roof to see an eclipse. It's a great resource if your in the area and a good rainy day alternative to the movie theater.

Visited July 2011
Bay City, Michigan
492 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,378 helpful votes
“There isn't much to it....I just don't know about the place...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

I have never attended a show at the planetarium before and can't really share an experience meant for kids or teens or astronomy buffs. However, they offered a show with their new system, debuting it on February 13 in the evening, for couples only. It was a nice thought-the dessert given at the end of the show was very nice, the people were friendly, the flowers they gave out to women, all very nice tidbits. However, the show was very boring, and not what I thought it would be. The person to whom I spoke on the phone with described the show as a documentary about an ocean reef. When I questioned her about the two animated characters (fish) whose picture showed with the advertisement on their website, she said they would be narrating...! OK! Well, the show was not a documentary at all; it was all animated; it is suited for a 6-9 yr old audience; and even then I'd be surprised if half the kids in that age bracket liked it. It lasted about 40 minutes. The first hour was 7 or 8 clips of older movies and love scenes (all rated P to PG) and then we'd have to guess the names of the movies, the movie actors in them and then were given "love" trivia. Very boring; silly; and the volunteers who did the speaking during this silly "game" were poor speakers. Too quiet, too soft, messed up their simple statements, it was just very odd. There was not much audience particpation, because I am assuming that most were as flabbergasted as we were with the "activities" of the evening. This cost a couple $35 and we were told to wear our Sunday "best" clothes.

The new system that is in place is referred to as "an almost IMAX" experience. Hmmm. Well, it is good system, but I certainly cannot begin to compare it to IMAX. I think that is misleading. As far as the rest of the planetarium, there are classrooms, meeting halls, a sun dial outside, and a viewing platform on top of the building. There are some cool pics in the entry hall. There is a gift shop, but I didn't see it. Coat room. Bathrooms and the rest of the place very clean. However, I expected to see some astronomy information. I couldn't find any but the constellations they have on the floor of the building.

They also spent a good part of our time in the video room giving us info about upcoming events, which is fine, but they kept repeating themselves...

I know the local community college has astronomy classes here. I know they offer community events. I am sure there is more to the place than I know. But for a Valentines Day event, I'd skip it for sure. BORING to the nth degree. Parking is fine.

2 Thank tymetraveler222