“Wedding Night Mess Up”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bay City
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Bay City
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed on my wedding night. The one thing that my husband wanted was a whirlpool hot tub in our room on our wedding night. We blocked this hotel for a discount on that room, knowing full well that their prices were too high. I was up front with them, and signed a contract, I would have the room for a specific price, and if I sold all my rooms, it would be comped. But, i called and reconfirmed two days before the wedding to make sure that we had our room, and as I thought, none of our families had picked up their expensive rooms, when the hotel down the road had much better prices.

At one in the morning, I am standing in my wedding dress, my husband in his suit, as we are handed a room without the whirlpool tub we requested. When I called down there, all I got was "we sold it," and "you're not going to like this, but we're sold out of the room you booked." THEY GAVE MY ROOM AWAY! The man at the desk was detached, even though they had just effectively ruined my wedding night. I could have gotten the same room FOR FREE at the hotel my family was staying at, and had breakfast with them in the morning. We went there for a specific purpose and they sold my room right form under me.

Sooo, because it was one in the morning, and there was really nothing we could do, we stayed. The room we did have wasn't bad by any means, it just wasn't what I went there for. I gave my phone number and information for the manager to call me on Monday.

She never called. I had to actually go to the hotel and complain, while she showed me my contract, and said that I was not entitled to the room because I didn't sell.... then I pointed out that in the same contract I agreed to pay for the whirlpool room if I did not sell the rooms. She failed to notice that little point, and told me that it was not really even supposed to be set up because I was working with another hotel. That sounds like their mistake, not mine. I told her that I even confirmed, and had she told me that, I would have just paid the extra money to keep the room. But they did not tell me, and on top of it, she had never called me back. Big lack of communication.

I am giving them a 3 because she did in the end rectify by giving me a coupon for a free stay in a whirlpool room at any of the properties that particular owner has in order to make up for their mistakes. I have yet to use it, but hopefully it goes smoother than my wedding night.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emily G

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Easy access to highway and has a huge Meijer Grocery Store just across from the hotel. Staff is friendly and the rooms are clean. Breakfast is adequate, location is ideal.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2012

My family and I chose this hotel sight-unseen. We were passing through on a driving trip to see family. We were looking for reasonable prices with good rooms. The staff were friendly when we arrived and for breakfast in the morning. The rooms were quite clean and updated. The only drawback is the quality of food for the continental breakfast, but the hotel does not advertise a gourmet banquet so that wasn't a huge problem for us.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I continue my reviews of the Saginaw - Bay area hotels! :)

This time, I tried out Priceline.com and ended up at the Holiday Inn Express in Bay City, MI for $50. Very nice place--not sure I'd spend the regular or AAA rate unless forced to (about $110 per night), but Priceline.com came through nicely. I'm giving 4 stars for the experience, but had I spent the regular rate, I'd probably give it 3 stars only because I don't think it's worth the $100+ per night rate. It's just not that special.

This place is in Bay City, a little north of Saginaw, not too far off I75. There is a large shopping area in the vicinity with the usual chain restaurants, gas stations and stores.

The room was very clean, nice king size bed. Decent TV, also a small microwave and fridge if you need it. The usual adequate coffee maker too. I didn't use it, but the pool & fitness room look pretty good.

The morning breakfast was decent--except for the biscuits and sausage. I'm not sure why these places insist on offering this if it doesn't taste like the real thing. I took a small taste, then got the egg & cheese omelet (not a make your own kind of thing) and a pretty good cinnamon roll instead.

This is probably the nicest affordable place I've stayed at in the thumb area, but again, I went through Priceline. The regular price is much higher than I am willing to pay for one night in Bay City.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Beth1961
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The hotel was OK, I guess, but not quite as good as I expected from reading other reviews. We got a whirlpool suite, which is like their most expensive room, and it was definitely NOT worth it. We thought a suite like this would be nice and quiet, but no. The suite was literally wrapped around the elevators, so you could hear the elevators all night. Who on Earth designs a hotel with the best rooms next to the elevators? Then whoever was renting the suite right above ours had kids that were *running* through the suite for a couple hours in the evening, and spend some time turning the whirlpool on-and-off-and-on-and-off-and-on-and-off. Sheesh.

I was a little disappointed in their staff. We asked ahead of time if we could check in early, and even offered to pay extra. They couldn't guarantee anything; that's fine, I understand we're asking for something out of the ordinary. But! If we called the day of, they could check to see the status of the room. So we call at 12:30, and are told we can check in at 2pm, an hour early. OK, that's better than nothing, Except we get there at 2pm and get turned away. Again, I understand we're asking for something out of the ordinary, but just tell us no instead of promising and not delivering.

Still, the bed was comfortable, the hotel was easy to find, the breakfast was good, and the room was large. So I'm not totally slagging the place, it's just that I've stayed in plenty of better places, and I'll probably try to find one next time I'm in Bay City.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Have stayed at this Holiday Inn Express three times over the past few years. Beds and pillows are comfortable. The breakfast is surprisingly good. There is a selection of teas.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank FamilyTraveler847
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Spend a Saturday night in a king standard room. The room itself was nicely updated and clean. Like the flat screen TV. The breakfast the next morning was very good! Especially liked the biscuits and gravy and assortment of other great breakfast items. Would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple