“Renovations in progress”

Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Battle Creek
Charlotte,NC
“Renovations in progress”
Reviewed June 21, 2010

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Battle Creek for one night. The staff seemed friendly. Our room was on the side away from the highway and therefore was quiet. It looked like the bathroom had recently been renovated. There was a raised marble vanity in the bathroom, and the tile & grout on the floor looked new. There were some nice shelves over the toilet where the shampoo and some towels were stored.
We had requested a room with one King bed, but the room we were given had 2 queen size beds. Perhaps they were out of the other room type? It was not a big deal for us however, and I did like the renovated bath.
The location is good - close to shopping and the highway.
It looked like the main floor was in the process of being renovated and there was some road work going on outside the hotel. Our room was not impacted by the renovations or the road work.
I would probably stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
GENEVA
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Stayed two nights at Hampton inn in Battle Creek Mi with soccer team Hotel staff was very nice Breakfast was very good and rooms were very comfortable. Never heard the road traffic. this hotel is close to everything, restaurants movies and a new casino 6 miles away Would recommend this property to everyone Thank you Hampton for making our stay enjoyable

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2010

We stayed one night during a recent road trip. Check in was a bit of a downer as the staff member quoted us a high walk up rate, but we had done our research and were ready with the lowest discount rate available online. She was open to matching it, but said she would have to give us a noisy room near the highway to get that rate.

The room was not noisy at all, even though we were right next to the highway. In fact, it was more quiet than most hotels I stay at. We didn't have the window open, though.

Our room came complete with a previous guest's dirty shirt hanging in the closet, which we left there for the next guest to see. The room was a bit worn, but most highway hotels tend to be less up to date than urban ones.

The breakfast was better than some Hampton Inns, but the staff member stopped stocking food during the time we were there. So no eggs, yogurt, or fruit. Plenty of meat and cereals.

Having said all that, the staff did an excellent job helping us out when our car failed to start. They went beyond the call of duty to make sure we were taken care of and that we were able to get on our way.

While the rate we paid did reflect rates of similar hotels in the area, we did feel it was only a decent value and we would not have stayed there unless we were able to get the discounted rate advertised on the Hampton Inn website.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed December 8, 2009

Room was clean and fairly crisp. Furniture was a little dated. Breakfast was solid. Hotel is located right, I mean, right next to highway. Its not a problem if facing away from highway...but the noise is major on the side facing the highway. Near mall and dining choices. Would stay again but not at the rate I just paid ($109).

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank gopoets
Ohio
Reviewed August 18, 2009

As a Silver VIP Hilton Honors member, we've stayed at many Hampton Inns. This was the worst. Only one person at the front desk on a busy Saturday night and she had to do all jobs. We had reserved 2 rooms and asked for adjoining but they were not available at early afternoon check-in so we had to take 2 separate rooms across the hall from each other. One was to be 2 queen beds and turned out to be a King. The other (for our daughter with 2 small children) was a handicapped room with no bathtub and a tiny sink. Not at all suitable for bathing children. Both rooms had an odd odor which the front desk blamed on nearby road construction (did not smell like construction odors). A cleaning rag had been left in our daughter's room. My husband gouged his foot on a hot tub drain and reported it and asked for a first aid kit which they could not find. The nearest pharmacy was going to close before he could get there for antibiotic cream. They announced cookies available at 7 pm but the front desk girl was alone and so busy checking people in, the cookies weren't done until 7:45 and my husband had to go back and get them off the tray for the kids who were waiting for their promised snack. The breakfast area is tiny with inadequate seating and we had to wait for a seat. Also, it was very noisy as it is right next to a major highway and you can hear traffic all night.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the past month. The first two times I had a great room, the breakfast was OK, the pool and hot tub were fine and the staff attentive. This past visit, the room rates had gone up $10, which I figured was fine since the summer travel season is getting underway here in Michigan. What I did not anticipate was how fast a hotel could go downhill in a couple of weeks time. The problems began at check-in; I know Hampton Inns are a relatively casual place, but the person on-duty was wearing a very low-cut blowse that left absolutely nothing to the imagination when she handed you your paperwork to fill out. According to her name badge, she was also supposed to be the assistant manager. When I walked in my room, I smelled the faint but unmistakable odor to stale cigarette smoke (this is a non-smoking room). I also had a very hard time sleeping due to the incessant traffic noise (the hotel is just off I-94); in the morning, a look at my window in this room told me why - the sill was bent into a curve and it wouldn't even close completely. Coming down to breakfast the next morning, I heard one staff member at the desk remark to another "This is going to be a terrible day, it's starting already" or words to that effect. Whatever happened to Hampton's breakfast? This one had no eggs, not sausage, no protein sources at all. Since my diet precludes a lot of carbs, I had to go elsewhere. Also, the pool water was very cloudy when I went down for a swim the night before, in spite of the fact that I didn't see anyone else using the pool but myself. Lastly, someone had broken the side entrance door since I was last here 2 weeks before, not good for hotel security at all. In my opinion, the management of this hotel needs to pay a lot more attention to the buildings physical condition, guest amenties and staff training. Next time I am in town, I will be trying a different hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
El Segundo, California
Reviewed June 3, 2009

I'm a big fan of the Hampton Inn chain. I've never had any problems in any of their hotels and this one was no exception.

The room was large and clean. The desk help was friendly. The bed was very comfy and had a nice thick bed spread. The bathroom was large for hotel standards. The bath/shower was large enough that the shower curtain didn't cling to you as you showered. I love that their shower curtains have a clear space running through them so you can see out while you are showering. The shower water got hot very quickly and there was decent water pressure. A small amount of toiletries were proviced. Internet was provided free.

The only small draw back was the proximity to the highway. There was quite a bit of highway noise if you had your room window open.

I totally enjoyed my stay at the Hampton Inn Battle Creek and would most definatley stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo