“Inconsistent: You MIGHT have a good stay here”

Hampton Inn Battle Creek
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Battle Creek
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
“Inconsistent: You MIGHT have a good stay here”
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the past month. The first two times I had a great room, the breakfast was OK, the pool and hot tub were fine and the staff attentive. This past visit, the room rates had gone up $10, which I figured was fine since the summer travel season is getting underway here in Michigan. What I did not anticipate was how fast a hotel could go downhill in a couple of weeks time. The problems began at check-in; I know Hampton Inns are a relatively casual place, but the person on-duty was wearing a very low-cut blowse that left absolutely nothing to the imagination when she handed you your paperwork to fill out. According to her name badge, she was also supposed to be the assistant manager. When I walked in my room, I smelled the faint but unmistakable odor to stale cigarette smoke (this is a non-smoking room). I also had a very hard time sleeping due to the incessant traffic noise (the hotel is just off I-94); in the morning, a look at my window in this room told me why - the sill was bent into a curve and it wouldn't even close completely. Coming down to breakfast the next morning, I heard one staff member at the desk remark to another "This is going to be a terrible day, it's starting already" or words to that effect. Whatever happened to Hampton's breakfast? This one had no eggs, not sausage, no protein sources at all. Since my diet precludes a lot of carbs, I had to go elsewhere. Also, the pool water was very cloudy when I went down for a swim the night before, in spite of the fact that I didn't see anyone else using the pool but myself. Lastly, someone had broken the side entrance door since I was last here 2 weeks before, not good for hotel security at all. In my opinion, the management of this hotel needs to pay a lot more attention to the buildings physical condition, guest amenties and staff training. Next time I am in town, I will be trying a different hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
El Segundo, California
Reviewed June 3, 2009

I'm a big fan of the Hampton Inn chain. I've never had any problems in any of their hotels and this one was no exception.

The room was large and clean. The desk help was friendly. The bed was very comfy and had a nice thick bed spread. The bathroom was large for hotel standards. The bath/shower was large enough that the shower curtain didn't cling to you as you showered. I love that their shower curtains have a clear space running through them so you can see out while you are showering. The shower water got hot very quickly and there was decent water pressure. A small amount of toiletries were proviced. Internet was provided free.

The only small draw back was the proximity to the highway. There was quite a bit of highway noise if you had your room window open.

I totally enjoyed my stay at the Hampton Inn Battle Creek and would most definatley stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Northville
Reviewed May 1, 2009

I was told the room I originally book (2 queen, non-smoking) was unavailable due to plumbing problems. The only room left was a king room, but a roll-away bed would be provided. The accomodations worked out fine for myself and my two daughter, especially since the front desk staff deep discounted my room rate due to the inconvenience. All of the staff from front desk to maids were very pleasant and helpful. The hotel was clean, room was nice, and the hot and cold breakfast bar was a definite plus. My daughters really enjoyed the pool and hot tub. I agree with the some of the other reviews that the highway noise can be annoying, but I just ran the fan in the room for white noise. I would stay at the Battle Creek Hampton again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
chicago
Reviewed November 21, 2008

Had to contact hotel directly to get a reservation as it's only 64rms. The other hotel would've cost more and didn't have a free breakfast; fHampton had friendly staff, very clean rms, comfortable beds, nice touches like candy in the rm, cookies in the lobby and a great free breakfast.

• Liked — clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank cdwreviewer
adidas311
Reviewed September 9, 2008

We were told there were no smoking rooms like we reserved. After going to front desk about movie rental system not working we were told our box was missing from room and we would have to move. It was 10:30 and she said they had a king smoking. we told her that we were told earlier there were none available. She said it wasn't true and we moved a few doors down. First room had 2 spiders in shower and a dead bug in dresser. Husband had to hook up cable to t.v. but now we know it was because cable box was missing. I think we were put in a room no one uses. Second room was fine. Hotel itself was clean and nice. Left comment card for manager and online and never heard anything back.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank adidas311
Bay City, Mi
Reviewed September 27, 2007

Stayed there one night in spring 06..just fantastic! People were great..even the room maids were smiley..breakfast is terrific..room outstanding. Too bad I can't afford it this time (9/29/07). Around 165 bucks! The clerk told me it's because HOLIDAY INN moved to town..and they're RAISING their rates to match the HOLIDAY INN'S. Hello? Someone please instruct them on what to do when competition moves it. (Hint: Yah don't RAISE yer prices!)

Stayed April 2006
1 Thank goodgravy
Toronto
Reviewed January 3, 2007

We found this location through Traveladvisor, and it lived up to it's reviews. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We took issue with the jacuzzi being less than clean, and too cold to relax in, but the management said they'd take care of it. We did not have time to check back later. The breakfast buffet is plentiful but full of artificial foods - and genetically modified looking products. Hopefully more healthy choices will be made available.

Surrounded by chain stores and chain restaurants, you'd be better off going down town to one of the two choices there, if you are a foodie.

• Liked — Friendly, clean and affordable
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple