“Beautiful room”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Battle Creek
Walkerville, Michigan
“Beautiful room”
Reviewed October 19, 2010

My wife had a seminar scheduled at this hotel, so we elected to stay there using our AARP discount. We asked for an upper floor, and were given one. The room at $89, turned out to be on the twelth floor. The room was a large triangular corner room with a panoramic view of the city. The bed was large and comfortable with lots of pillows. The bath was large with a luxurious granite shower.

The one bad thing about the room was its proximity to a busy railroad track. The hotel is aware of this, and provides complimentary ear plugs.

We had breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant the next morning. The buffet was limited, but at only $6.00 the eggs, sausage, oatmeal, cold cereal and fruit was not a bad deal.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
McCamlyGM, Manager at McCamly Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2010
Thank you for your kind comments.

We greatly appreciate your choosing the McCamly Paza Hotel and look forward to the previledge of being your host again in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
naples, FL
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Our stay was OK, but I was disappointed that the general quality of the accommodation was less than advertised. The ‘finish’ for example in the tiny bathroom was not what I would have in my home. Wallpaper was peeling in a few places. The ‘guest guide’ instruction book is apparently out of date and has therefore incorrect information and instructions. I had a ‘message’ indication on the room phone and was unable to retrieve the message and none of your staff could tell me how to do it. I expected free or easy automobile parking. Charges for valet parking are excessive and (apparently) capacity is severely limited. I would have expected an arrangement with the attached parking garage for free parking.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing McCamly Plaza Hotel and for taking the time to write a review.

We are sorry to learn the room was not what you expected. We currently have two catagories of rooms our Deluxe which are the older decor that we are in the process of renovating and our Executive rooms which have been completely renovated.

Regretfully, as most downtown hotels we have a very limited number of complimentary parking places a the hotel whic are available on a first come basis. The parking garage although connected to the hotel and Kellogg Arena is not owned by the hotel. We do work very closely with them to try and keep rates as reasonable as possible at $6 a night and have over 40 valet parking spaces availalble for $8 per night. Additionally, we are always trying to offe specials and packages with parking included.

Thank you again for choosing our hotel and providing feedback that can assist us in improving the experience for all future stays.
Redford, Michigan
Reviewed August 16, 2010

This place is a dump. We arrived there on Friday afternoon, we checked in and went to our room. We discovered peeling wallpaper in the bathroom. YUCK!! There was also peeling wallpaper in the main room. We then discovered that the remote control for the huge outdated TV was not working so as we went to dinner I stopped by the front desk and informed them. They said it would be all set by the time we returned from dinner. We then went to their restaurant. They had several specials posted in the elevator, when we got there they informed us that they were out of beef. So why not take the signs down!!! Upon returning to our room we discover that the remote control still is not working, so we call down to the desk and ask them again to come and fix it. 45 minutes later a security guard knocks on our door to fix the remote control. Next day we go to the pool. The tiles surrounding the pool have fallen off so there is globs of cement all along the pools edge. The pool was heated to a very chilly 76. We go back to our room and my 5 and 3 year old discover trash under the bed from the last people who stayed in that room. We then left for the morning. We were gone from 8am until 2 pm and the room was still not clean. We will not be going back to this place. I would like to know where they spent the 3 million in updates.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
The entire staff is disapointed to learn that your stay was not what were expecting. Please accept our sincerest apologies!

The hotel does currently have floors 9 through 15 renovated as well as the conference rooms on the 16th floor. We are in the process of completing the update to all our guest rooms on floors 2 through 8 which do have an older decor.

Regretfully, the pool issues caused by a recent group are more difficult than expected to correct but are being addressed and a new heater has been installed for the pool.

The additional items you referenced have been reviewed and addressed. Your information is appreciated in assiting to the hotel to continually improve.

We greatly appreciate the honor of being host to all of our guest and hope that during your next visit to Battle Creek you will reconsider staying with us.

Travelers are raving about these Battle Creek hotels

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We held our Family Reunion at McCamly Plaza Hotel from July 1 - 4, 2010 and it was absolutely wonderful! The service was the best, the food was award winning, the rooms were great! The whole experience was so much more than I expected. I would highly recommend to any and all who ask and those who don't ask I'll tell...they made our reunion an event to remember and I wouldn't hesitate to call upon them again to do it all over again! Our experience was 5 star all the way!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank jamal0303
Plainwell
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Sunshine-Plainwell

We would like to express our thanks for the wonderful stay we had on July 3,2010. When we arrived we were able to park right up front and allowed to check in a few hours early. This was wonderful as we had planned a busy day.The front desk ladies were very helpful and friendly.
We were somewhat apprehensive of our stay as we had read online some reports that disturbed us. We knew we would be on the train side of the building, but on the 15th floor which is newly renovated. Reports said that this side had train whistles blowing every 30 minutes. Well, I took along 2 fans to block this noise. We had the most relaxing sleep we have had in a long time due to this and the new mattresses.
Next was the complaint of the rooms being just filthy. Well, we had the cleanest room we have had in a long time. It was spotless!
The only problem we encounterd was the confusion of our pre arranged shuttle to take us to the airshow. Apparently the 2 people who took down our needs to arrive there and return did not record them or forgot to let someone know where they had recorded the information. The drivers made that problem go away pronto. Our first driver got us there on time and our next driver was right on time to pick us up at a prearranged time. When we got back, he helped us plan our itenerary for the evening and he even checked in with us to make sure all was going well for us.
We went first to Barlecorns and met a very personable young bartender .. He spent some time telling us about the area and himself. Very nice young man.
After our night out on the town, we got the wonderful surprize of watching 7 different locations of fireworks right out our window!!
What a wonderful evening we had!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
battle creek
Reviewed June 8, 2010

I took my wife to Mccamly for our third anniversary the weekend of the June 4th. I have never in my life been treated so well. The staff was amazing and I felt that they were glad that we were there staying with them. I rented out one of their conference rooms on the 16th floor and had a private candlelight dinner overlooking the city at night. WOW, what a view, but more importantly they went above and beyond our expectation. They had candles, chocolate covered strawberries, and roses as a centerpiece for us. None of that was even anything that I talked about when I rented the room. Like I said they went above and beyond my expectation. The room was amazing. Loved the big screen tv in the room and the beds were like sleeping on a cloud. I encourage anyone reading this to choose McCamly when you stay in battle creek. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Detroit
Reviewed March 6, 2010

We were impressed by this hotel, largely because the bad reviews set our expectations low. It definitely wasn’t the nicest hotel we’ve ever stayed in, but considering the lack of other options in Battle Creek, MI it was very nice, especially if you are attending an event at the Kellogg Arena.

The room we were given was called an “Executive King Newly Renovated Room”. I think that the “Executive” part of that only indicates that it was renovated and that they put a refrigerator and coffee maker in the room. There was no microwave, though they may have been available upon request. The Executive rooms might be higher in the hotel, as we were on the 10th floor out of 16.

Some of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor talk about the noise from the train tracks. I don’t think that is an issue anymore. We didn’t hear a single train, and the one that we saw going by was going so slowly that it was silent. I think that there new restriction in place limiting their speed. Though the train noise isn’t an issue, the walls and doors seem to let a lot of noise through. We had an end of the hall room away from the elevator and it sounded like there was a party going on outside our door last night. We could also hear the wake-up calls from at least three other rooms and the people in the next room talking softly.

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. I would not use the word professional, only because compared to the staff at nicer hotels, they seemed a little amateurish or new to the industry. The guy who brought a cot to the room seemed confused by the fact that we gave him a tip. Similarly, when I called the front desk to request that cot, I was told that “it was going to be an hour because they were overwhelmed by all the check-ins”. It isn’t that I think an hour is too long, especially since it ended up being only about 20 minutes, it just wasn’t the sort of answer you’d get at a Hilton or Hyatt.

The room was comfortable and clean, though only adequate in size. The bathroom is nice, with a good shower head and pressure.

Valet parking was $8 during our trip, or you can pay $4 to stay in the Kellogg Arena garage. Both are very convenient. We did the garage which worked out well, because it is free for the first hour, and our only out was to go for dinner, less than an hour after arriving.

The restaurant in the hotel looks nice, but kind of pricey. We used the GPS to find a great Mexican restaurant which was less than a mile away.

We didn't use it, but there is a water park across the street from this hotel, that you may want to look into.

The hotel has free internet which was very fast. The only problem is that it is wired only. No WiFi in our room.

The location is good for most of Battle Creek and perfect if you are here for the Kellogg Arena.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family