McCamly Plaza Hotel
Good 3.5/5
Quality Inn(Battle Creek)
$70
Very Good 4/5
Fairfield Inn Battle Creek(Battle Creek)
$99
$89
Travelocity
$116
$101
TownePlace Suites
Excellent 5/5
    Courtyard Battle Creek(Battle Creek)
    $116
    Very Good 4/5
    All reviewskellogg arenavalet serviceamtrak stationheart of downtowndowntown battle creekfrench toastlate checkstaff was very friendlyroom was clean and comfortableconferenceprivilegeschampionshipwrestlingvendingmi
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed March 6, 2010

We were impressed by this hotel, largely because the bad reviews set our expectations low. It definitely wasn’t the nicest hotel we’ve ever stayed in, but considering the lack of other options in Battle Creek, MI it was very nice, especially if you are attending an event at the Kellogg Arena.

The room we were given was called an “Executive King Newly Renovated Room”. I think that the “Executive” part of that only indicates that it was renovated and that they put a refrigerator and coffee maker in the room. There was no microwave, though they may have been available upon request. The Executive rooms might be higher in the hotel, as we were on the 10th floor out of 16.

Some of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor talk about the noise from the train tracks. I don’t think that is an issue anymore. We didn’t hear a single train, and the one that we saw going by was going so slowly that it was silent. I think that there new restriction in place limiting their speed. Though the train noise isn’t an issue, the walls and doors seem to let a lot of noise through. We had an end of the hall room away from the elevator and it sounded like there was a party going on outside our door last night. We could also hear the wake-up calls from at least three other rooms and the people in the next room talking softly.

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. I would not use the word professional, only because compared to the staff at nicer hotels, they seemed a little amateurish or new to the industry. The guy who brought a cot to the room seemed confused by the fact that we gave him a tip. Similarly, when I called the front desk to request that cot, I was told that “it was going to be an hour because they were overwhelmed by all the check-ins”. It isn’t that I think an hour is too long, especially since it ended up being only about 20 minutes, it just wasn’t the sort of answer you’d get at a Hilton or Hyatt.

The room was comfortable and clean, though only adequate in size. The bathroom is nice, with a good shower head and pressure.

Valet parking was $8 during our trip, or you can pay $4 to stay in the Kellogg Arena garage. Both are very convenient. We did the garage which worked out well, because it is free for the first hour, and our only out was to go for dinner, less than an hour after arriving.

The restaurant in the hotel looks nice, but kind of pricey. We used the GPS to find a great Mexican restaurant which was less than a mile away.

We didn't use it, but there is a water park across the street from this hotel, that you may want to look into.

The hotel has free internet which was very fast. The only problem is that it is wired only. No WiFi in our room.

The location is good for most of Battle Creek and perfect if you are here for the Kellogg Arena.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
    Reviewed January 21, 2010

I was pretty happy with my week-long stay at this hotel. The rate was right for what I got - a nice roomy rennovated room to sleep in, clean bathroom, easy access to my meetings every morning, and a Starbucks downstairs was just an added bonus (even though it closes at 6 PM, which was a bummer but hey, so does most of Battle Creek). There's no wireless internet in the room - you need to use their provided LAN connection. My room had a big closet and a mini fridge too. The TV went a little schizo (I clicked some button that made it stick on Channel 25 and blink a lot) but the hotel staff fixed it immediately. The staff here is great - I was very impressed!

Based on the previous reviews, I guess the way to best enjoy your stay at this hotel is to request a rennovated room on the side of the hotel that doesn't face the train tracks. They were nice enough to provide me with ear plugs the last few nights of my stay, but holy cow the train is loud. I grew up in a metro area so I'm used to a lot of noise at night, but the train was a bit of a surprise.

My only other qualm with the hotel was the hotel resturant. The food was just okay, the service was a little scatterbrained. It's hard to get service when you first walk in - there were times I couldn't find a host(ess) and saw others wandering trying to find someone to seat them or feed them. My clients also told us to try to avoid eating at the hotel resturant - I only did it one night for dinner and got cold soup and a weird burger. Edible yes, but I kind of accept that a lot of times, hotel food isn't the best. I'd suggest eating at Starbucks for breakfast - the resturant does a weird buffet thing some days where you can either get the $9 buffet or something on the limited menu which essentially is either pancakes, eggs or french toast. If you're a light morning eater like me, that buffet plan was a little obnoxious (I couldn't bring myself to pay $9 for a bowl of cereal). Maybe that's a really picky review, but just note that if you are planning on eating in the hotel for all your meals, you might want to look around a bit. Or just drive to Kalamazoo - there was a ton of great food on the way there and in the heart of town.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
    Reviewed January 7, 2010

Due to inclement weather, my husband and I needed to find a hotel in Battle Creek on Christmas Day in order to catch an early train on the 26th. I read reviews of hotels in Battle Creek and decided on the McCamly because of its location to Amtrak station. This hotel met our needs in every way. The room was quiet and very clean with an extremely comfortable bed and new furnishings which included a small refrigerator. Because it was Christmas Day the adjoining restaurant was not open; however, the desk staff called a restaurant and gave us places which were open that evening. Parking was in front of the hotel and even if it has been full, there is an enclosed parking garage within a block. This hotel more than met our expectations

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed November 9, 2009

I dont think I need to be overly wordy, so I shall stick to the facts of my two days of business in dealings with the hotel staff and facilities. In addition pack a lunch, food is scarce in this place. All of these reviews refeer to Banquet staff where staff is mentioned.
    1. I was there to work a conference the room was booked with in hours of our event, not allowing us much access to set up. The staff told us they should have the previous set up cleaned and changed over by 9;30, we start at 9 with hours of set up do.
    2. No communication happens between sales and banquet staff. I was onsite from all day the first day and NO ONE stopped in to see if we were ok upon arrival.
    3. After they finally gave us the room and set it up, no one vacummed the floors from the previous conference's mess. Especially near the large 'load in' doors where the leaves blew inside.
    4. One staff member repeated swore while he was one the phone talking video games with his friends when he was supposed to be cleaning our room, which include no less than 6 [--]. All this and he was standing right in front of me and two children. I dont know who let there employees talk on the phone when they should be working, much less swear in front of customers.
    5. We had the use of the ball room for two days, table cloths were not changed once and the head table even had cupcake frosting from friday night ground into the cloths still at our black tie event on sat night...CLASSY WORK!
    6. If you were part of the groups board or appointed people as contacts for the hotel you were on occasion treated nicely. If you were a regular attendee, you were treat with absolute disrespect and on some occasions were argued with by banquet staff.
    7. The ran out of dessert for our lunch, they forgot to serve it with our dinner.
    8. I was adjusting lighting and was yelled at by a staff manager that I couldn't touch the lights untill 11, it was 11:10. So the manager is not only rude and inconsiderte of the people spending money in his hotel he can't tell time.
    9. Staff was lazy, slow, and rude to almost anyone if they chose to even acknowledge them.
    10. My dinner plate was variety of surprises, chicken was overcooked and horribly dry, white sauce was so old it formed the skin, veggies were undercooked but were warm, and the redskin potatos were almost edible. I didnt eat but the potatos. Other sent chicken back because it was raw, some kids meals of pizza I am told actually was so dry the crust had a snap to it. I know of a few who got sick and the common thread seemed to be salad lettuce. Should lettuce smell?

11. Limited food available on site.
    12. Elevators are slow and old and rattle rather concerningly.
    13. Elevators inspections are expired.. ATTN HOTEL MANAGER- this is a major safety issue and fine.
    14. NO PARKING- unless your one of about 12 people who get the front spots its pay to park.
    15. Hot water is sometimes available, but when it is it only comes out of the faucet with the help of gravity, pressure is something of a concern.
    16. All these Millions spent on renovations must only be in a few rooms and the meeting space on 16. My room was a nothing special. I guess you choose to actually stay here ask for one of the new rooms.
    17. Bell staff and front desk was good to us and I have no complaints about them. However bring you own bell cart if you dont want to carry your own luggage, I had to wait close to an hour to get a cart.

To sum it all up.
    I wouldn't book this hotel for a function ever again. The food was terrible, the service made the food look great. The banquet staff was rude from the top down. The ball room is dated and is in need of serious repair, the gap under the service door into the ballroom that even open about three inches to the outside it troubling. While i didn't see any fuzzy critters, if i would have I bet I could guess where they would have gotten in.
    It seems sales does not communicate with catering, maybe thats why prices came back so good.... anything for the sale.

I you are really serious about booking something in Battle Creek, please explore your options. In the end if you do come here, you will most likely regret it. I know I would never recommend this location for business or pleasure and if I ran this place most of the people working here would be looking for something new.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
    Saldridge, Manager at McCamly Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2009

We apologize that your experience at the McCamly Plaza Hotel was not up to your standards. We have discussed the issues with the management team to ensure that we improve the overall service and atmosphere of the hotel.

Reviewed August 31, 2009

We stayed at the McCamly Plaza for a week. We found the newly remodeled floors very comfortable. Everyone in McCamly Plaza went out of their way to meet our every need. It was clean, the beds were great and their recommendations for restaurants were great! There are some floors that are in the process of remodeling so ask for the newly refurbished rooms and you won't be disappointed. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2009