“A pleasant surprise.”

McCamly Plaza Hotel
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Battle Creek
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Due to inclement weather, my husband and I needed to find a hotel in Battle Creek on Christmas Day in order to catch an early train on the 26th. I read reviews of hotels in Battle Creek and decided on the McCamly because of its location to Amtrak station. This hotel met our needs in every way. The room was quiet and very clean with an extremely comfortable bed and new furnishings which included a small refrigerator. Because it was Christmas Day the adjoining restaurant was not open; however, the desk staff called a restaurant and gave us places which were open that evening. Parking was in front of the hotel and even if it has been full, there is an enclosed parking garage within a block. This hotel more than met our expectations

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 9, 2009

I dont think I need to be overly wordy, so I shall stick to the facts of my two days of business in dealings with the hotel staff and facilities. In addition pack a lunch, food is scarce in this place. All of these reviews refeer to Banquet staff where staff is mentioned.
1. I was there to work a conference the room was booked with in hours of our event, not allowing us much access to set up. The staff told us they should have the previous set up cleaned and changed over by 9;30, we start at 9 with hours of set up do.
2. No communication happens between sales and banquet staff. I was onsite from all day the first day and NO ONE stopped in to see if we were ok upon arrival.
3. After they finally gave us the room and set it up, no one vacummed the floors from the previous conference's mess. Especially near the large 'load in' doors where the leaves blew inside.
4. One staff member repeated swore while he was one the phone talking video games with his friends when he was supposed to be cleaning our room, which include no less than 6 [--]. All this and he was standing right in front of me and two children. I dont know who let there employees talk on the phone when they should be working, much less swear in front of customers.
5. We had the use of the ball room for two days, table cloths were not changed once and the head table even had cupcake frosting from friday night ground into the cloths still at our black tie event on sat night...CLASSY WORK!
6. If you were part of the groups board or appointed people as contacts for the hotel you were on occasion treated nicely. If you were a regular attendee, you were treat with absolute disrespect and on some occasions were argued with by banquet staff.
7. The ran out of dessert for our lunch, they forgot to serve it with our dinner.
8. I was adjusting lighting and was yelled at by a staff manager that I couldn't touch the lights untill 11, it was 11:10. So the manager is not only rude and inconsiderte of the people spending money in his hotel he can't tell time.
9. Staff was lazy, slow, and rude to almost anyone if they chose to even acknowledge them.
10. My dinner plate was variety of surprises, chicken was overcooked and horribly dry, white sauce was so old it formed the skin, veggies were undercooked but were warm, and the redskin potatos were almost edible. I didnt eat but the potatos. Other sent chicken back because it was raw, some kids meals of pizza I am told actually was so dry the crust had a snap to it. I know of a few who got sick and the common thread seemed to be salad lettuce. Should lettuce smell?

11. Limited food available on site.
12. Elevators are slow and old and rattle rather concerningly.
13. Elevators inspections are expired.. ATTN HOTEL MANAGER- this is a major safety issue and fine.
14. NO PARKING- unless your one of about 12 people who get the front spots its pay to park.
15. Hot water is sometimes available, but when it is it only comes out of the faucet with the help of gravity, pressure is something of a concern.
16. All these Millions spent on renovations must only be in a few rooms and the meeting space on 16. My room was a nothing special. I guess you choose to actually stay here ask for one of the new rooms.
17. Bell staff and front desk was good to us and I have no complaints about them. However bring you own bell cart if you dont want to carry your own luggage, I had to wait close to an hour to get a cart.

To sum it all up.
I wouldn't book this hotel for a function ever again. The food was terrible, the service made the food look great. The banquet staff was rude from the top down. The ball room is dated and is in need of serious repair, the gap under the service door into the ballroom that even open about three inches to the outside it troubling. While i didn't see any fuzzy critters, if i would have I bet I could guess where they would have gotten in.
It seems sales does not communicate with catering, maybe thats why prices came back so good.... anything for the sale.

I you are really serious about booking something in Battle Creek, please explore your options. In the end if you do come here, you will most likely regret it. I know I would never recommend this location for business or pleasure and if I ran this place most of the people working here would be looking for something new.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Saldridge, Manager at McCamly Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2009

We apologize that your experience at the McCamly Plaza Hotel was not up to your standards. We have discussed the issues with the management team to ensure that we improve the overall service and atmosphere of the hotel.

Reviewed August 31, 2009

We stayed at the McCamly Plaza for a week. We found the newly remodeled floors very comfortable. Everyone in McCamly Plaza went out of their way to meet our every need. It was clean, the beds were great and their recommendations for restaurants were great! There are some floors that are in the process of remodeling so ask for the newly refurbished rooms and you won't be disappointed. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Thought the hotel was very nice. Had no problems! It has a very nice indoor pool! and truthfully loved the valet parking(since it was pouring down rain!) the staff was VERY helpful and VERY nice. LOVED the idea of having a shuttle,they even shuttled us to the restaurant.
We hit a good weekend--they had the car show and festival, it was the BEST! so the town was hoping on Saturday (but we were concerned on Firday -it ws dead) It is very nice to be able to walk to any restaurants there in town if you want, which the hotel provided a list of all the restaurants as well as directions to get to them (VERY NICE)
ENJOYED OUR STAY!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Hotel is very, very nice - rooms are updated and trendy. Bed is very comfortable. Bathrooms are chic. Staff is friendly. We stayed on the 14th floor.
We saw a panoramic view of fireworks from our room.
We attended the Air show festival & balloon launch that was about a 3 mile drive from hotel. Awesome festival.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Definitely the worst hotel I've ever been in!!!!!!
This place is a dump!!!! (especially for $145 a night!)

PLEASE READ...

1) No parking spaces. You either pay $8.00 a day for valet or $5.00 a day for the parking garage.

2) Lobby was nice. But, that was the ONLY thing nice about this hotel.

3) Went to the 3rd floor to locate my room. It might of helped to have the room number on my door!!!!!! It was missing. Not there at all.

4) The first thing I noticed when I got in my room was the 2-inch strings of dust hanging from the ceiling throughout the room. Yuck! Not to mention the1/4-inch thick dust piled up on the wall behind the armoire.

5) Scuff marks and holes all over the walls and nasty carpet.

6) Started to hang up some clothes, put the bathroom stuff on the bathroom counter, and put socks and whatnots in the drawers of the armoire. Hmmm. Might of helped to open the drawers if the handles were not broken off of the drawers!!!!!!!!!

5) Decided I was hungry after the drive to the hotel. Good luck finding something to eat! EVERYTHING is closed in this hotel at 3pm (and most of the time for that matter)!!! Check-in isn't until 3 so why would they have everything closed, knowing people may be hungry after their drive???? Joe's (a sandwich shop) is only open Monday - Friday from X:XX until 3pm. J.W. Barleycorn's has strange hours (I'll discuss them in more detail later). So, the only place to "eat" is Starbuck's. Ugh. (Nothing against Starbuck's. Just not where I would go to eat an actual sit-down meal.)

6) There was one other place to eat. Porter's Steakhouse on the top floor which overlooks the city. That sound good, right? Okay, so we get in the elevator and press floor 16. Nothing. Nada. We press it again. Still no movement. So, we must have an elevator with a broken button. We press floor 15. Bingo! We are moving. We get off on the 15th flloor and take the stairs up one flight. The door is locked. We walk back down the stairs to the 15th floor and go to the other end of the hall and try THOSE stairs. Again, the door is locked. Still starving. Come to find out, Porter's Steakhouse is closed down. Nice for the hotel to let you know.

7) We look in the Hotel Guide located in our room. It has several advertisements, showing several local restaurants. Only 3 were still in business and did not sound promising as far as "being close". Battle Creek has 4 exits. It's a big town.

8) No phone book in room, which makes it very inconvenient when trying to call local restaurants for directions since there was no place else to eat.

9) In my quest for food, I tried to connect to the internet. Well, apparently, it wasn't wireless (which was fine....I just assumed it was). So, I called the main desk. They had to bring me an ethernet cord (which was supposed to be in my room, according to them). However, there was apparently supposed to be a modem, as well (which there wasn't). So, they had to bring me one of those, too. Doesn't housekeeping have a checklist to make sure the room is in order while making their rounds???????

10) We ended up getting online, looked at some reviews of local restaurants, and walked to Clara's on the River. It had all positive comments except for one very negative comment. But, considering almost every review was good, we decided to give it a ty. This place was awesome! It's kind of a mom and pop place, which used to be an old train depot. The servers were young but professional, personable, and knowledgable. The menu was like a huge book. It had something for everyone (pizza, sandwiches, burgers, salads, soup, steak, pasta, seafood). The food was outstanding and the price was reasonable. The only thing great about the trip. Great job Clara's!!!!!!

11) Decided to go to the pool after we ate. No, I didn't get a cramp. Haha. The temperature of the pool and hot tub were as expected. However, definitely not enough seats or a big enough pool for a hotel of this size (fits a maximum of 41 people). The majority of people were standing. The most disgusting part was MOLD on the towels. Yes, mold.

12) Decided to watch some TV. The television guide, which shows the channels and channel numbers, was incorrect. Not anything TOO devistating. I could deal with that. But, it makes it really hard to watch TV when it's fuzzy with a terrible reception and armoire doors that won't stay open. I tried twisting the cable into the wall to get a reception that was tolerable, but to no avail. I couldn't reach the connection to the actual television. So, I had to deal with it. And, I had to put a chair up in front of the armoire doors because if I didn't they would shut, secluding the television from view. Apparently, this problem was either discovered by a hotel employee or another patron because there were visible signs of tape, looking as if someone had tried to tape the doors to keep them open. My guess... it was an employee. What guest carries around tape????

13) Tried the so-called arcade. Everything in there is $1.00 to play. I understand that this is a hotel and prices are more expensive, but this place was a dump! They had an air hockey table, a pool table, and maybe 4 or 5 arcade games. They were all in bad shape and the floor was carpeted with "patches". It looked like someone used to own a jewlery shop or something there and ripped out the counters. Then, the hotel decided to put an arcade in there without fixing it up???? No dollar bill changer. So, if you didn't bring a ton of quarters with you, you might as well forget it.

14) Time for breakfast the next morning. Decided to go to the J.W. Barleycorn's that was located in the hotel. They had a breakfast buffet and it opened at 6:30. I had to be at Kellogg Arena by 8:00 (so it was convenient). Well, a continental breakfast (which is usually FREE would have been 10 times better than this overly-priced so-called buffet). I paid $15.99 for me and my son. Ouch! Again, it's a hotel. The price is somewhat understandable......until you actually look at the "buffet". This huge buffet (that was sarcastic) consists of eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and cereal for near $16.00!!!!!!! (And, the bacon was soooo greasy and the hashbrowns tasted like when you try to warm up day-old french fries in the microwave....gross.) I could of had a continental breakfast (like one of my traveling companions) for FREE with a bigger selection like bagels, muffins, toast, cereal, donuts, french toast, eggs, bacon, and sausage if I had stayed at the Comfort Inn for only $79 a night (as opposed to my $145 a night)!!!!! Not to mention, they had people waiting in the lobby for them to open. They were 15 minutes late opening because someone wasn't there (or ready) with the cash box. Then, their employees were definitely lacking professionalism. About 4 of the employees (which seemed to be pretty much all the floor staff) were at the front talking about beer bongs and tattoos, while my 8-year old was fortunate enough to hear this great conversation.

FINAL NOTES:

This hotel mentions they have done $3 million worth of renovations. It was either in the lobby or in the new mattresses because it sure as heck wasn't anywhere else. I figured if the mattresses are $3,000 to $4,000 a piece (give or take) that the majority of this $3 million went to mattresses.

I've stayed in a number of hotels throughout the United States, Italy, France, England, and the Dominican Republic. Every single one of them offered medicine (either at guest services or in a vending machine). However, this hotel does not offer that. They said they were "a hotel, not a motel." Whatever. I needed some Rolaids.

This has to be the WORST hotel I've EVER stayed in. I will definitey never stay there again. I would rather stay somewhere else in Battle Creek and have to DRIVE to Kellogg Arena.

I have asthma. So, the dust in my room and mold on the towels were not good.

Another patron who posted a review said that "this hotel is fine. People are just spoiled." I beg to differ. This hotel was NASTY and definitely not worth the money! It had NOTHING to do with being "spoiled". I wouldn't have minded staying at Motel 6 for $45 a night or at Comfort Inn for $79 a night. However, I stayed at McCamly Plaza because of the convenience of the restaurant and pool and Kellogg Arena (AND because I thought it was going to be nice for $145 a night!) I just wanted what I paid for and I surely didn't get it.

STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank HonestIndiana
Reviewed April 2, 2009

We gave McCamly Plaza one more chance after our last visit (see review 11/12/08). This time we were given a room on the 14th floor which had been renovated.

Finally, a nice room! The bed and bedding was great as well as all the furniture. The entertainment center sported a 42” flat panel LCD and the room was clean. The walls had architectural photos featuring buildings located around the hotel that were really attractive. Battle Creek has some impressive architecture for a city of its size.

The hotel is located downtown near the river walk and parks. The downtown area is beautiful and seemed to be safe.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple