“Not recommended”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Battle Creek
Oak Park, Michigan
“Not recommended”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have traveled all over the world and have never experienced anything this gross. There was a used razor on the floor of my hotel room. When I was switched to another, that room had what looked to be pubic hair smeared on the bathroom door. I have never seen anything like this and care not to ever see it again. I was afraid to get into the bed. Just disgusting.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank RFlowers007
Dennis T, Manager at McCamly Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Hello,
Thank you your valuable feedback, as we continuously strive to heighten our service performance. As the Rooms Division Manager of the McCamly Plaza Hotel , I sincerely appreciate the feedback provided in this Trip Advisor posting.

I deeply regret the unfortunate challenges that you incurred during your recent stay at the hotel. We take the cleanliness of our guest rooms very seriously and apologize that such attention fell short when it came to your overnight experience with us.

I understand your level of disappointment from your recent experience, and I would also like to make you aware, to ensure that appropriate attention to detail is given to each room at the hotel, I have recently taken the time to meet with the housekeeping department concerning your experience and the hotel staff’s responsibility to ensure that proper care and attention are given to avoid future guests being placed into a similar situation as yours.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you at the McCamly Plaza Hotel. Please contact me directly if I could be of personal assistance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Did not deliver on its promise of feather pillows, upgraded linens, restaurant vouchers and free vallet. Most uncomfortable pillow ever! And the sheets were scratchy. We had to ask for our vouchers after checking in and vallet was added to our room charge and had to be removed: two addional trips to he front desk. The restaurant was good wiyh great service. The hotel would benefit from new PTACs and thermostats to better control room temps.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dennis T, Manager at McCamly Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
It is with great disappointment that I read through the feedback you have kindly taken the time to post here. I would like to extend my apologies that your experience at the hotel has fallen short of your expectations and our goals. We value you as a guest, and I am troubled to know that your recent visit did not deliver a positive experience for you , as we intend to provide for each of our guests.

At the McCamly Plaza Hotel, we aim to instill the highest levels of service and professionalism in each of our employees, as we continuously strive to exceed guests’ expectations. When we regretfully miss the target, I understand that we can only improve with thoughtful input from our guests, and I want to thank you for providing your comments. I assure you I have taken the time to discuss your feedback with our management team, so we may improve our overall guest experience.

Once again, I apologize that your experience was less than perfect, and hope that we will have the opportunity to regain your trust and confidence. Thank you again for taking the time to share your candid feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Battle Creek hotels

Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Nice view. Room wasn't in great shape with some of the wall paper peeling or bubbling. The bed was comfortable but on the hotels own homepage they boast about feather pillows, not true. The pillows are big and made out of foam. The city is really quite, the restraraunt was okay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChaChi121
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review our hotel. At the McCamly Plaza Hotel, our goal is to always provide the most accommodating service possible, and I regret that we failed to do so in your case. The items that you mentioned above will be discussed with the hotel management staff, and we will use this review to continue to improve the stays of future guests. Again, I hope you'll come back and give our hotel a second chance if your travels bring you back to our area, and thank you for your review of the hotel.
Taylor, Michigan
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Didnt know the hotel has a policy to hold $50 off your card and wil release it days after you left depending on your bank as they claim. No one made me to understand this. I only got to see the charges after i checked with my bank the following day and to my utmost dismay instead of the $132 that they were charging me, i saw $182 and when i called to ask why, they said it was hotel policy bla bla and that i should call my bank and ask them to release the funds that was withheld. Like seriously? why wasn't i told something like this before i checked in or after i checked out? The room smelled bad and the toilet was partially dirty. The bed has bed marks and underneath the bed were some stuffs. Wuite pathetic for a hotel that charges $132 tax inclusive per night. They need to do better than this. I WILL NEVER EVER GET TO GO THERE AGAIN. I made the mistake onces and now i wouldn't make it again. Travel from February 14th to February 15th.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Trinidad, Texas
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This was a combined work & family visit to the Cereal City. We endured bitter cold temps & I believe it snowed every day, which is a very pretty site from the 15th floor. Again, the hotel is clean, rooms are very comfy, staff is always helpful & the location is perfect for us. We can walk to restaurants, and downtown stops, which there aren't many of. In the afternoons we walked to Brownstone Coffee shop and enjoyed a warm & inviting atmosphere while having a good cup of coffee.

Room Tip: We have stayed at this hotel several times and advise staying on the city view side instead of the t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This is a nice place and very convenient to the offerings of central Battle Creek.

The room was modern, stylish, and in good shape. It was very large with a computer desk, chair, king size bed with decent linens, large HDTV, closet with sliding mirrored doors, and granite covered bathroom with a really nice glassed in granite shower. The free Wi-Fi has excellent speed.

The hotel is located in a complex that sort of looks like a mall with an interior corridor, so everything is connected without having to go outside. On the day I checked in, Kellogg's was operating an outlet store, but I noticed the next day it wasn't open. So, it must only be open certain days.

Within the complex, there is a full-scale Starbucks and an independent restaurant on-site with very reasonable food prices. Food prices for room service are the same as in the restaurant, but they do charge a 20% service charge. There is also an ATM. A few other restaurants and banks were located within walking distance.

The staff were EXTREMELY nice. They consistently followed up to make sure my stay was great.

There is very limited free self-parking at the hotel to the left as you drive past the front door, probably about ten spots. Otherwise, valet parking is offered for $8, and there is a garage connected through the mall's building where you can self park for $6/night with no in or out privileges.

Based on the infrastructure and services offered, this should be a 3.5-star hotel at least. These items could be what's limiting it:

1. TV channels - Despite having HDTVs, all the channels were in analog. Also, the reception was fuzzy.

2. Room A/C & heater - No wall control. It was a window unit that had seen its days. Hard to control and maintain a consistent temperature. In fact, the temperature knob was stripped when I first got in the room, but they replaced it immediately when I informed the front desk about it (they asked too, I didn't have to offer to tell them first).

2. Restaurant - The prices were reasonable, and the staff were exceptionally nice. However, I though the quality and offerings were rather average, mostly burgers.

3. Lobby - Has sort of a worn, dated look and feel. Not very luxurious. New furniture, tile, and a change of wood paneling would be beneficial.

Room Tip: King rooms at the end of the hallway seem a bit larger. Also, make sure you try to snag one of th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank NoCleverCreation
Michigan
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The overall hotel was nice. Ourroom was on the 10th floor and had a great view of town. There was no spare toilet paper in the room when the original roll ran out. I did call the front desk and they were prompt to deliver one. The shower was very hard to turn on (I'm guessing this is a room problem and not necessarily an issue with the entire hotel). I had to pull the knob pretty hard. Otherwise, the room was clean and very spacious. We had a end of the hall room which is probably why it was a decent size, but it was right by the stairwell and you could hear the door slamming as people came through it. I would recommend to stay away from the stairwell and the elevator (middle of the hall). The locations is great as you can walk to several downtown restaurants and shops as well as Kellogg Arena and the water park (summer only). There is a Starbucks (not open Sunday when we left) and a small restaurant in the hotel. You can valet park for $8/night with in/out privileges or in the parking deck for $6/night without in/out priviliges. I was at McCamly for an event as well. The banquet room was nice and the staff was very friendly (they even got on the dance floor which was fun to see)! The dance floor itself had some nails sticking out which I got caught on. They should be inspected before use again. The food was good with the exception of the main beef entree which was tough. The sides were also very delicious. Overall, this was a decent experience and probably the most upscale hotel in Battle Creek (certainly the ONLY hotel downtown that I would stay in).

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor away from the stairwells and the elevators.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple