“Stayed 1 day”

McCamly Plaza Hotel
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Battle Creek
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Just returned home from Michigan. Stayed on the 6th floor near the stairwell. Rooms were ok. Restaurant in the hotel was average. Stairwell noise could be heard while you slept. Nice arena inside the plaza. Nothing really positive or negative to report.

• Stayed: December 2012
mccamly, Manager at McCamly Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear guest,

I apologize that we didn't not exceed your expectations. We will be further investigating your negative concerns in efforts to resolve the issues.

Jeremiah Rodriguez
Front Office Manager

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I certainly do not expect a Four Seasons to be in Battle Creek, MI but I also figured there would be a decent choice for a short business trip. I chose the McCamly based on a lack of other choices.

The hotel is old, dated, empty, and the service is extremely poor. They say the rooms were all renovated but there is a wall unit heating/cooling system from the 80s. They did put a flat screen TV in the room but mine did not work. The elevators had a smell of vomit in them. The internet is so slow that you would be better off with a dial up system. I went to the business center to print a boarding pass and it was so slow it just kept giving me an error message. When I asked the person at the front desk to print it for me - you would have thought I asked her for $1000 dollars. She didn't even say anything to me and just printed it and handed it to me.

I tried to use the valet but pulled up and nobody was there. I asked the front desk and she said "just leave the keys". My car sat in the same spot (in front of the hotel) until I had to use it for dinner. When I came back she said, "You shouldn't use the valet - just self park".

This hotel needs a lot of work.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I would like to apologize that you encountered some challenges during your stay with us. Here at McCamly Plaza Hotel we work hard to accommodate all of our guests and to provide an enjoyable and relaxing experience during their stay. It is always unfortunate that the front desk agent wasn't more helpful and by no means is this our normal standard. It creates a negative impression of our hotel.

I very much appreciate your feedback as this helps us be responsive to the total guest experience, and I hope that you will come and visit us again and give us an opportunity to provide you with a wonderful stay. Thank you for choosing McCamly Plaza Hotel.

Front Office Manager

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I used the valet service because there were no spaces available for self-park. My car's door was "dinged" by the valet and they did absolutely NOTHING to fix it. They made no effort to help getting it fixed at a later date or even apologize for it! I didn't expect them to take it somewhere to be fixed but an attempt to do the right thing would have been appreciated.
The train going by every night at 4 AM were also very difficult to bear. Made for a along weekend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I can not say enough about the valet service. For one week I am in and out of the hotel. The Valets are right there to help me. Helping me load and unload people and luggage. They always have a smile and a good word for everyone going in and out of the hotel. If I did not live in the area I would stay here every time I come to Battle Creek

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Four of us (2 rooms) recently stayed here for a long weekend, and were able to walk to almost everything we needed to do. Found staff to be very accommodating. Beds extremely comfy. Enjoyed the view from the 15th floor. No train noise. Breakfast buffet adequate but very convenient. Check out the "casino" package if it's offered - it's a deal (breakfast and parking included) and you do not have to go to the casino. Would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I did request rooms away from the train, and perhaps that's why we were not bothered by any tra...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
McCamlyGM, Manager at McCamly Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

We were very happy to read your positive experience with our staff and our renovated guest rooms during your recent visit to the McCamly Plaza Hotel. I wish to assure you that it is our intention to make your visit the best possible experience possible.
We look forward to welcoming you again on your future visits to Battle Creek at the McCamly Plaza Hotel and please feel free to contact me should you require any assistance as it relates to the hotel.
I would like to take this opportunity on behalf of the Management & Staff to thank you for staying with us and look forward to your next visit.
Michael Phillips
General Manager.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Eating accomodations not adequate.
Other hotel ammenities were good.
Rooms were good.
Gathering with others was a little
difficult but was able to be accomplished.
Was in attendance for a Barbershop singing
Convention and Contest. The contest venue
was in a separate building and required transportation
to the facility and back. Parking in a separate
parking ramp that charged each time the car
was moved did add additional cost to the adventure.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a conference, rooming with another attendee who uses a walker. We requested 2 beds and a handicap accessible room. The combination is not available, so they gave me a roll-away bed. No toilet in the hotel is high enough for comfortable handicap use. Our bathroom did have grab bars on one side and behind the toilet. Somehow my roommate managed.
I asked ahead about swimming laps in the hotel pool. The staff did not know the length of the pool. When I got there to swim, I discovered that pool had a rope across it dividing the shallow area from the deep area, making the pool only 2/3 as long unless I swam under the rope on each lap. That worked, but it was very annoying.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business