“New Hotel, weird rules, credit card issues with "oh well" sentiment from hotel”

Firekeepers Casino Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Battle Creek
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We traveled to Battle Creek with 3 other couples specifically to stay here... I had stopped by the casino on my way to Indianapolis last year, and talked our friends into making it a weekend getaway once the hotel was built.
The hotel is still obviously new, complete with 'new carpet smell' and everything. Rooms are on the small side, but large bathroom and very modern features (flat screens, XL glassed-in shower stall, etc...) make up for it a bit.
1st weird rule: no outside alcohol allowed. I don't know if it is because the hotel is on an indian reservation or not (we never received an explanation), but why have a refrigerator in the room if I can't bring my own beer or mixed drinks??
2nd weird rule: smoking in the non-smoking area of the casino isn't enforced? Had a security guard tell me it isn't worth their time enforcing. Then why advertise a non-smoking area???
Anyway, we all had fun, and went home happy... that's when 3 of the 4 couples received a phone call from our credit card companies; you guessed it: fraudulent charges. Luckily all 3 companies were on the ball and caught some weird charges (online gambling websites in Jamaica, Facebook purchases, telephone card purchases for Mexico, etc...) but what are the odds 3 of 4 couples' credit cards were affected? gotta be an inside job, right? We called the hotel security, guest relations manager, and hotel manager, and got nowhere... ALL gave us the "oh well, it happens" attitude.
My advice, reserve the room with your card, but pay cash for the room when you get there...

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevators were still pretty quiet. Pay cash when you get there, we had fraudulent ac...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris E
There are newer reviews for Firekeepers Casino Hotel

Reviewed February 5, 2013

When we'd go to gamble at the Casino, before there was a hotel, we would often stay a mile or so down the freeway at one of the other hotels. Nice accommodations but no comparison to Firekeepers Hotel. We are heading back tomorrow for our second stay this year. This is a lovely, "big city" hotel. Yes, the Lobby is the only one we've ever seen with no furniture and yes, we will bring our own pillows this time, but the interior designer did one fabulous job in the rooms of this hotel; they are comfortable, lovely and modern. The Staff is learning but they are great. When we stayed in early January, our Chicago friends also stayed at the hotel - no complaints and they are critical travelers always looking for a "freebie". We are looking forward to eating at the Mijem Buffet for dinner when we get in tomorrow night and will return to do the breakfast buffet there again in the morning - the food is very good; the only casino buffet on par in Michigan is probably the buffet at the MGM Grand. For breakfast on our January 4th stay at Firekeepers we had breakfast at 24/7 and my wife and I enjoyed it immensely. For a "fast food" fix when we just drive to gamble for a few hours, Chi Mon-ee's is where we eat in the Casino; it has a "fast food" atmosphere but their food is wonderful - we especially LOVE their pizzas; we often take one home with us. Don't hesitate to stay at this hotel; it is easily the best hotel in the Battle Creek area.

Room Tip: Enjoy the view, what little there is, from the top, 8th floor.
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Let me start by saying that I may be a bit biased, as the night I stayed at the hotel, was free. However, during my stay, I repeatedly asked myself if I would pay for this. The answer is overwhelmingly, yes! The room was beautiful. We reserved a 2 queen bed room. The room was spacious and I love the attention to detail. (But, for me, it's the little things!) In the bathroom, there was a very generous display of toiletries, including shampoo, conditioner, body gel and cream, even a mini sewing kit (needles were pre-threaded!). There were plenty of cups/glasses. The TV was a very large flat screen. The beds were very comfortable and the sheets were clean. There were robes, with slippers in the closet. The pool looked AWESOME! but we did not go in. The staff was very nice.

My ONLY complaint would be that if you are a guest of the hotel, you must park outside, as the casino will not allow you to cross the floor with your bags to park in the parking garage. Luckily, there were three of us, so two of us went to get the car while one waited with our bags. (Sorry, I don't dig valet, just a personal thing). I think that if they offer garage parking to the casino players, there should be something comparable to those staying in the hotel. Just my thought, though.

I think that I would probably pay for a night at Firekeepers in the future... If I do, I will check back in.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed the evening of Feb 3, Super Bowl Sunday in Room 821. First, the good...We sat in the lobby bar/hotel bar & picked our time to check-in. We checked in an hour early with no issues.

The rooms were nice & similar to Greektown Casino Hotel. We had King, room was spacious & clean other than 3 candy wrappers next to tv & bench. I seen that others posted about finding candy wrappers & walla! Me too. The bathroom is one of the nicer ones I have seen & think tiles are heated. IHome is nice touch & tv nice.

We did not notice noise in hallway or smoke in elevator shaft as previous post mentioned.

Pool Hours are now 9:00 am - 11:00 pm. Pool seemed a little cold but hot tub nice other than stuff floating in water, don't know what & don't want to know. The sauna was nice & fit 5 okay, could have squeezed one more in. The steam room took my breath away! Holy cow, I was not able to go in there.

All of the staff whether hotel, casino, bars or restaurants were great.

I liked how lobby is connected to casino & no outside venture in the winter.

The bad...One complaint is there was 2 guys, early 20's jumping off top pool to bottom & back flips, yelling & causing a ruckus for about 30 min. Security did eventually show up after they left. Really, no big deal, just annoying while they were there.

We traveled with 2 other couples & both had rooms on 6 th floor. One couple's shower door did not work & was stuck shut. No shower? Come on & no discount??? Really Firekeepers? The only offer was one of consolation that others have had the same problem..laugh, laugh..& that's why the maintenance men are up there. Ya, thanks, that helps.

The other couple did not have slippers with their robes, not a big deal but when they mentioned it to front desk they told them that some rooms don't have them. Hmmm? No shower, no slippers...no big deal...get over it??? I would expect more from a place that cost $175 per night with Tribal add ons give or take a buck or two.

We liked our room & did not have those issues but would have a different review if so.

Would I stay again? Yes, probably because it is a half way point to meet my bro in-law & sister in-law. It's a lot of money to not have what is stated in the amenities.

So, after reviewing my review I am torn between 3-4.5 ratings based on our travel companions. I guess it is up to you to make that call.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Have to say it is fun to stay and gamble we live fairly close. Bath is lovely, room is comfortable. We had a room with 2 DBL beds when it came time for sleep we pulled back covers on one bed to find linen had not been changed and former occupants left a soiled bottom sheet. ( thank goodness I always ck linen first). It was late 1am and called front desk the manager came up took photos and asked if we wanted another room as there was no housekeeping staff in. We said no so he put some free play on a cards and we went to bed about 2am but didn't sleep. Other casino hotels we stay all over the US gives food or free play comps with room. Come on Firekeepers get with it.

Room Tip: Request pillow top mattress.
1  Thank Rosie049
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We love Firekeepers for their food operation - their buffet is wonderful and very affordable. Has everything you want and the service is great. We stayed at the hotel and the rooms are comfortable, VERY clean, and of course under one roof with the LARGE casino. The drink prices are average, but their food operation, especiallt the Buffet is fantastic. We sometimes go there just for the food.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor overlooking the parking lot. It was fine.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We live only 20 minutes away and come weekly to gamble at Firekeepers so actually spending the night for us was kind of odd but fun. We're used to "going away" and spending the night but that's OK. What was kind of neat was a bunch of our friends joined us for the buffet, gambling and a few beers at Dacey's and as they left to drive home, we went up to our room.

Our room was on 2nd floor. The view was alright but don't ever plan on staying in a room for the view. It's pretty much I-94 going this way or that! LOL.

We had 2 double beds. The room was very clean and inviting. And very new as we stayed the end of Dec and it had only been open a couple of weeks. Bathrooms were large but I wasn't a fan of the sliding doors to get in and out but that's just me. My mom liked the comfy computer chair at the desk. Beds were alright but I will remember next time to bring my own pillow. Their's weren't real great. I agree with someone else, you can easily hear sounds coming from the hallway, too.

Check-in, well it could have gone smoother. They were still very new at it so I will give them a little time to work some kinks out. As cosy and full of lights the casino part is, the lobby is almost the opposite........huge, barren and dark. Where's a real fireplace and nice spots to sit as someone in your party waits to check in???

Staff is very very friendly but they always are when we go over to gamble so to stay, the experience with them, is the same.

We didn't use the pool but it looks very nice. We didn't use the exercise room. At our ages walking to and from the casino was all we needed.

I just got an e-mail today for a free room and though most of the nights I chose were already booked, I managed to get one near the end of the month. Am looking forward to staying again!!

Room Tip: The rooms are all in one long hallway but I would suggest getting a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MichiganKitty
FireKeepersCasino, Guest Relations Manager at Firekeepers Casino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Hello MichiganKitty,
Thank you for staying with us at FireKeepers Casino Hotel. I can relate that since your initial December stay right after we opened our new hotel (the casino opened in August 2009), there were a few wrinkles that have since been smoothed over. Check-in is now a breeze and we are continually evolving.Listening to our guests has always been a top priority here!