“This is a Chicago restaurant in downtown Battle Creek”

Malia Mediterranean Bistro
Ranked #1 of 164 Restaurants in Battle Creek
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Two years in a row we have taken Chicago visitors to Malia's and it held it's own with diners who are under the impression that there is no good food to be found between Madison Street and Madison avenue.
There's not much else in downtown Battle Creek other than a pretty good brewery (Arcadia's. - but that's another story).
Kellogg Foundation is just down the street so I figure there are s group of travellers there who appreciate Malia's for lunch or dinner.
They have an exceptional wine list, feature some good beers - particularly
Michigan micro brews.
A nice daily selection of pasta and fish specials. You don't have to go beyond that to find your en tree. All at Battle Creek prices.
Service has been pleasant and professional. Both years we went the wait staff took photos for us. The room is long and narrow so it doesn't provide for much flexibility for a group exceeding 4 but they make it work.
Being from the Central time zone we can make 8 pm reservations but our stomachs think it's 7 pm and we find that the Michigan people are finishing dinner as we arrive leaving the place pretty much to us.
In our snobby Chicago way our entire group agreed that Malia's would be a great find and hold its own in Lincoln Park.

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Ate dinner solo at Malia, arriving at 5:30 on a Wednesday. Restaurant was empty, and I was seated immediately, given a choice of tables. Service was friendly and prompt. I enjoyed a three-course meal. Was brought the wrong salad, and the server was quite apologetic and later subtracted the charge from my bill. The salad I did receive actually was quite delicious with very fresh greens and vegetables , as well as excellent Green Goddess dressing. I ordered a filet with wild mushrooms and gnocchi. The meat was cooked a perfect medium rare, as I had requested. I liked the wild mushrooms, though I found the sauce too salty.
A lemon and berry tart provided a satisfying end to the meal.

Prices seemed reasonable considering the menu and style of restaurant. Similar restaurants in the SW US city where I live would cost at least 30% more. I would eat here again.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were visiting friends in Battle Creek and they suggested we meet at Malia. They said it was one of their new favorites. We got there early, a little before 5:00 and the staff greeted us and thank us for coming in. The place was empty and I was worried. By the time we left they were full and we were impressed. Great flavors. Interesting choices. Some unique food and everyone was very happy.

One thing to know, there is lot's of parking in the back, but the lot is busy so it could be a long walk for people that are handicapped or elderly. There is a front and rear entrance. If you can finding parking in front it will usually be closer. It's downtown and parking is sometimes tough, but it is well worth a stop.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

You don't necessarily expect high-quality Mediterranean food in downtown Battle Creek, but here it is. We really liked the menu, and the service was outstanding.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Uniquely fantastic restaurant. The service was perfect and the food delightful. The Italian chopped salad may be the best bit of food that I have ever tasted. Perfection.

Portions are large and varied. My only complaint would be the red sauce. It was bitter and not equal to other dishes our table tried.

Will be returning for sure.