“Trip of a lifetime, so close to home”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Baldwin
Batcke's Baldwin Creek Lodge
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Baldwin
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I recently took up salmon fishing again, a friend referred us to Baldwin Creek Lodge services. I wanted to have my son experience a different kind of fishing, he caught his first King. I was blown away, we learned so much from one day of fishing, words don't describe. We could have stayed in one location and catch fished, instead we were 'guided' how to cast, set and land fish. I see this as an investment I won't have to purchase cleo's when trying to fish. <big grin>. I live close enough to drive back and forth. I could do this for a week straight and not get bored. I'll be doing this again in the future. Couple of sayings that were useful on the trip: "You don't know what you don't know" (this was me before and after) and "I once was blind, now I can see". It opened my eyes to a different kind of fishing, it made so much sense.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Had another fun salmon trip with Mike today. He and his wife Catie always provide a great time on the river, lots of fish to fight, a nice shore lunch and a clean place to stay. I will be back again next year for my annual trip on the PM to make more memories! AG Tom

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank TCMeyer
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I love this place. I have been fishing with Mike more than one dozen times, with friends and my daughter. Mike is the best guide I have used, during my 20+ yrs. of flyfishing. He is also a very good casting coach, as my daughter Casey will agree. I leave the lodge a better fisherman than when I arrived. Catie provides really tasty lunches (ask for the strawberry, grilled chicken salad). We have always had a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pedaler
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Mike and Catie run a first class fishing lodge, greet you with open arms like they've known you all your lives, accommodations are excellent, stayed in one of the cabins this time, comfortable bed, pressurized hotwater showers and a great atmosphere to relax in when the day of fsihing is over. I have fished all over the United States and even in South America. I have yet to find a guide that could put me on fish like Capt Mike does. If he is not available one of his guides will also take care of you as well. They bend over backwords to make your trip a success, feed you a hot cooked meal during the lunch or dinner time; and stay on the water as long as needed to make your day a great success. I have been going to the Baldwin Creek Lodge for seven years now. This Spring Steelhead fishing trip was a huge success despite lots of rain and high water levels. 21 one Steelhead boated over 6 days and over 90 other hookups(the numbers are for me alone not even counting the others on the trip). The price for Batcke's service is world class, more than reasonable, far better than anything I have run into during my 45 plus years of fishing on this earth. Mike Batcke and his wife Catie are truely focused on customer service. Don't pass up a trip to the Batcke lodge whether your fishing, hunting or snowmobiling, they will provide you with a trip of a lifetime!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I've been fishing for 50 years, and have been fortunate to be able to afford exotic fishing destinations for the past 10 years. I have at least 200 days with guides, and have fished across the US and in several foreign countries. Why start with this? I want to establish my bona fides as someone who can rate and recommend a fishing destination.

That I have been blessed with the resources to allow me to fish all over the world (and have a fishing bucket list with a lot of unchecked destinations) and yet return to Baldwin creek lodge for a week of fishing at least annually for the past 8 years (since I first stumbled across it while fishing with other guide services) should tell you what a fantastic opportunity the lodge provides. Capt Mike is without a doubt the fishiest guide I've ever fished with -- he has a PhD in trout and steelhead. If you can't get time with Capt Mike no worries - the guides who work for him are all world class. 6 of us fished for 6 days this year under some of the worst conditions -- to include water levels at a 76 year high -- and we had more hookups than anyone else by an order of magnitude (verified at the ramp and during dinner conversation at local watering holes with other fishermen). From a fishing perspective, they provide a level of service that is far beyond the standard at any price.

Its a working lodge, not a flashy showplace. No chilled champagne or chocolate dipped strawberries waiting for you at the end of the day -- just world class, hardcore fishing, hunting snowmobiling and relaxing. The lodge is rustic -- well appointed, comfortable beds, hot showers with actual water pressure -- everything a sportsperson needs.The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, and Catie is constantly improving an already great operation. As I've already said, Capt Mike is unmatched as a guide anywhere, period. His team is similarly phenomenal -- they're more client focused and more dedicated to your success than any outfitter I've used. One last point -- have you looked at the prices? If there is a better value for a fishing experience, please please tell me about it!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tr0utBum
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Upon writing my review, “Don’t wear a black shirt to sleep,” based on what happened last year, the motel owner responded. He left reasons as to why the conditions were the way they were. I accept that. We have stayed at this place for years. They have always been accommodating to our large group. We decided to continue to reserve our following years trip with them thinking they would make Improvements to the problems from last season. One would think, this is an opportunity to shine and showoff the improvements they have made thus allowing me to do a follow up review on their improvements. Not so. Unfortunately, the owner decided to take a low route and cancelled our reservation based on the review. I don’t need to write anything else, this says it all.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank 03rcode
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I can't thank Mike and Catie enough for their warm hospitality! Our trappers cabin was awesome and my last stay in unit 9 was great as well. The room was clean the bed was huge and the pillows were great.

I have stayed in every unit on the property and each time there has been an upgrade or a new touch. They have worked very hard to make their Lodge our home away from home.

Mike can get you the local knowledge through guides for hunting and fishing or hook you up on local trails if you want to ride ORV's or snow machines.

Catie or Tiff can give advice for the non outdoors people with hot spots for entertainment in the surrounding towns.

Again to Mike, Catie, and the Crew Thanks for a great place to stay when I and the family are in Baldwin.

P.S. IF you need a driftboat Mike makes the best available using 21st Century tech. Stop by and look for yourself. StelthCraft one drift with these boats will make a difference.

Mike Mitchell
Owner, VP
Mitchell Funeral Homes

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baldwin
2 mi away
Red Moose Lodge
Red Moose Lodge
#1 of 4 in Baldwin
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 5 in Big Rapids
Best Bear Lodge & Campground

Been to Batcke's Baldwin Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!