“Incredible Fishing Destination, Fantastic Lodge!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Baldwin
Batcke's Baldwin Creek Lodge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Baldwin
New Market, VA
“Incredible Fishing Destination, Fantastic Lodge!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I've been fishing for 50 years, and have been fortunate to be able to afford exotic fishing destinations for the past 10 years. I have at least 200 days with guides, and have fished across the US and in several foreign countries. Why start with this? I want to establish my bona fides as someone who can rate and recommend a fishing destination.

That I have been blessed with the resources to allow me to fish all over the world (and have a fishing bucket list with a lot of unchecked destinations) and yet return to Baldwin creek lodge for a week of fishing at least annually for the past 8 years (since I first stumbled across it while fishing with other guide services) should tell you what a fantastic opportunity the lodge provides. Capt Mike is without a doubt the fishiest guide I've ever fished with -- he has a PhD in trout and steelhead. If you can't get time with Capt Mike no worries - the guides who work for him are all world class. 6 of us fished for 6 days this year under some of the worst conditions -- to include water levels at a 76 year high -- and we had more hookups than anyone else by an order of magnitude (verified at the ramp and during dinner conversation at local watering holes with other fishermen). From a fishing perspective, they provide a level of service that is far beyond the standard at any price.

Its a working lodge, not a flashy showplace. No chilled champagne or chocolate dipped strawberries waiting for you at the end of the day -- just world class, hardcore fishing, hunting snowmobiling and relaxing. The lodge is rustic -- well appointed, comfortable beds, hot showers with actual water pressure -- everything a sportsperson needs.The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, and Catie is constantly improving an already great operation. As I've already said, Capt Mike is unmatched as a guide anywhere, period. His team is similarly phenomenal -- they're more client focused and more dedicated to your success than any outfitter I've used. One last point -- have you looked at the prices? If there is a better value for a fishing experience, please please tell me about it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tr0utBum

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Motown
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Upon writing my review, “Don’t wear a black shirt to sleep,” based on what happened last year, the motel owner responded. He left reasons as to why the conditions were the way they were. I accept that. We have stayed at this place for years. They have always been accommodating to our large group. We decided to continue to reserve our following years trip with them thinking they would make Improvements to the problems from last season. One would think, this is an opportunity to shine and showoff the improvements they have made thus allowing me to do a follow up review on their improvements. Not so. Unfortunately, the owner decided to take a low route and cancelled our reservation based on the review. I don’t need to write anything else, this says it all.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank 03rcode
Chelsea, Michigan, United States
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I can't thank Mike and Catie enough for their warm hospitality! Our trappers cabin was awesome and my last stay in unit 9 was great as well. The room was clean the bed was huge and the pillows were great.

I have stayed in every unit on the property and each time there has been an upgrade or a new touch. They have worked very hard to make their Lodge our home away from home.

Mike can get you the local knowledge through guides for hunting and fishing or hook you up on local trails if you want to ride ORV's or snow machines.

Catie or Tiff can give advice for the non outdoors people with hot spots for entertainment in the surrounding towns.

Again to Mike, Catie, and the Crew Thanks for a great place to stay when I and the family are in Baldwin.

P.S. IF you need a driftboat Mike makes the best available using 21st Century tech. Stop by and look for yourself. StelthCraft one drift with these boats will make a difference.

Mike Mitchell
Owner, VP
Mitchell Funeral Homes

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike M
Davison, Michigan, United States
Reviewed April 27, 2013

After purchasing a donated trip last year at a TU banquet I emailed the lodge twice. No response.
I contacted them again in Feb. this year. Was ask buy the lodge to adjust dates and agreed. Upon arriving in a snow storm and a 250 mi drive they ask to cancel. I ask about contact and was told to email them. After sending them two emails to two different email addresses with our availability for the next month. NO RESPONSE AGAIN. While talking to the owner he stated that " I guess I will have to do this free trip myself ". This was not a free trip as I paid full price at the auction. There was no consideration that we had to drive in a snow storm almost 500 mi. The weather was not checked until we were standing waiting for a room. This seems very unprofessional .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Donald C
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Had a great stay at Batcki's Baldwin Creek Lodge for a fishing weekend. Service and staff were more than helpful and bent over backwards to offer us all that we needed. The rooms were comfortable and very clean which is saying a lot when they have to follow a bunch if dirty fisherman every couple of days. Will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed April 2013
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I've been staying here for the past few years during fishing season. You can expect clean, comfortable, affordable rooms but best of all are the hosts Mike and Catie. They will make you feel at home! If you love this area for the ourtdoors, this is the place to stay. Always up to date information on current conditions and if you take a trip with Mike he will definately put you on the fish. Add a couple of nice, friendly bird dogs running around the property and you have my idea of the perfect place to pursue outdoor adventures!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I booked a guide trip with Captain Mike and had an awesome time fishing the Pere Marquette River. His knowledge, patience and passion for the river and fishing is remarkable! I must also say that our accomodations were very clean and cozy as well! Overall a very enjoyable experience and we are looking forward to coming back in the fall!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baldwin
Red Moose Lodge
Red Moose Lodge
#2 of 4 in Baldwin
Best Bear Lodge & Campground
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Rapids
Pere Marquette River Lodge
The Rockwell Lake Lodge

Been to Batcke's Baldwin Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!