Batcke's Baldwin Creek Lodge
Red Moose Lodge(Baldwin)(Great Value!)
$95
Hotels.com
Alpine Motel(Branch)(Great Value!)
$55
  • Beachfront
Best Bear Lodge & Campground(Irons)(Great Value!)
$87
  • Free Internet
Hampton Inn Big Rapids(Big Rapids)(Great Value!)
$104
$88
Hampton.com
$88
Country Inn
$103
$65
All reviewscomfortable bedsgive advicefishthe riverother placesgreat place to staymikehuntingfalltripsnowmobilingmichiganguidebirdaccommodationsspringlodge
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We had a girls weekend and I stayed at Baldwin Creek while I was visiting friends. The rooms are cute and cozy. There is a small refrigerator, microwave and a coffee pot. I only paid $54 dollars for a night and thought that was cheap for everything that was included. The rooms are neat and clean. The owners are very helpful on things to do in the area, and very nice people. I did get a chance to sit on the bridge over the river and it was nice and peaceful, but still a little chilly. I will definitely be back up again this summer when the weather is warmer and take advantage of the camp fire pits and grills that are also available. Thanks for a great time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here while we were passing through the area. The price was a good price as other places in the area we called were higher . We checked into our room, not knowing what to expect and were quite surprised how nice they were. There is log furniture in the rooms and we both slept great on the beds . The rooms were clean and we enjoyed our stay. We will stay there again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 2, 2013

While checking in, the manager, cell to one ear lan line to the other, said to the person on the phone, there must be a lot of religious people and they all took the day off because we're slammed. Nice first impression, but this was by far the cheapest room with the most beds and $54 for the night seemed like a great deal.That is until I got into the room. Being rustic was part of the charm. But there was so much dust. I figured no big deal I'll just start dusting. The more I cleaned the more upset I got. The sconces just above the head board were caked with dust. I was going to call the front office but the phone in the room didn't work. The front office was aware of the problem but was unsure which phones worked and did not. And said since most people have cells or Wi-Fi they just didn't bother fixing them. Just when I thought I could take a break and unwind I noticed the bath room where my child was playing bare foot. The floor was obviously not mopped and hadn't been in some time. I sprayed the floors myself and wiped them up with disinfectant wipes. I even brought the urine soaked cloths to the front office. This is now my third trip to the office with two sick children waiting. His response was to allow me to leave with my money back and did not even offer a discounted rate. After I wiped the black sticky table down fed the kids and tucked them into the now disinfected sheets, cuz who knows at this point. I took a walk to the pop machine. It was easy to find because of the giant sign that said POP AND ICE. But it too was not functioning. Oh well at least I've got my tablet and some peace and quiet. Now, what is the password for the Wi-Fi? Ugh! Early night. The next day at just after 11am, the "house keeper" came to inform me that check out was at 11. And why would he tell you 12, he knows I don't have a lot to do, um I think you do actually. She takes her finger and taps the inside of the door where the check out policy is neatly printed. Yup, I read that while I was cleaning my own, now over priced room thanks. Maybe you should talk to him about it was all I could actually say. She even brought up the dirty room complaint as if I has made it up. I thought I was doing the right thing by showing him. It got me nothing but harassed. All she has left to do is change the bedding and empty the trash. I even wiped down the furniture. I can rest easy knowing the next occupants of room 8 will not be getting my kiddos strep throat. I can't vouch for the other rooms though. If you are fisherman, it's a place to hang your waders and pass out and its cheaper than any where else. Be sure you like rock hard firm support. If you plan on occupying your room and using the facilities, this is not the place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Joy S
baldwincreeklodge, Owner at Batcke's Baldwin Creek Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Joy,
Sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay with us. To comment on a couple of the statements you made....we do not keep the ice and pop machines running in the winter nor do we plug them in until we have above 30 degree temps at night! Our housekeeper came to apologize in the morning for the dirty bathroom floor that your children were running around barefoot on, at that time she said it was fine that you had a late check out because she had a full change over to do and never once entered your room or tapped on the 11am check out sign. I have never in all the years she has worked here, had one customer comment that she was anything less than pleasant! Thank you for "sterilizing" the room but we have to do much more than change the sheets and linens after guests urinate the bed. As first mentioned I'm sorry you were not satisfied with your stay and its our policy to offer you your money back as the "manager" did but it seems you were looking for something for free?
I hope your children are feeling better after traveling with strep throat!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is the first time I have ever written a review. My trip was one of the best overall values I have experienced. Start with the fishing. I landed two salmon, a steel head, and a couple of browns as we fished a stretch of water on the PM that had a variety of great habitat, or at least Captain Mike knew where to find them. I got the trout as we were moving to different holes for the migratory fish. It was great staying on site at the lodge - I actually got to see how the drift boat we used was made. Accommodations were affordable, clean, and convenient. I am booked for another trip and a longer stay since I want to try fishing the PM again as well as the Little Manistee. I planned the trip for next fall so I can try my hand at grouse hunting again and make it an all-sports long weekend. Mike and Catie Batcke were great hosts.

Room Tip: If I get some others to join me for the all-sports weekend, I will get one of the private cottages on the grounds rather than just a room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My buddy and I stayed here two weekends ago and we went snowmobiling. Although Baldwin isn't the most exciting town, Batcke's Baldwin Creek was the perfect place for us to ride! There was ample parking for our trailer and we were able to ride right from the lodge! We also liked that it was close enough to town that we could get gas or grab a bite to eat when needed!

• Stayed: January 2013