“Cheap, yes. Clean and comfy, no.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Baldwin
Batcke's Baldwin Creek Lodge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Baldwin
Hamilton, Michigan, United States
“Cheap, yes. Clean and comfy, no.”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

While checking in, the manager, cell to one ear lan line to the other, said to the person on the phone, there must be a lot of religious people and they all took the day off because we're slammed. Nice first impression, but this was by far the cheapest room with the most beds and $54 for the night seemed like a great deal.That is until I got into the room. Being rustic was part of the charm. But there was so much dust. I figured no big deal I'll just start dusting. The more I cleaned the more upset I got. The sconces just above the head board were caked with dust. I was going to call the front office but the phone in the room didn't work. The front office was aware of the problem but was unsure which phones worked and did not. And said since most people have cells or Wi-Fi they just didn't bother fixing them. Just when I thought I could take a break and unwind I noticed the bath room where my child was playing bare foot. The floor was obviously not mopped and hadn't been in some time. I sprayed the floors myself and wiped them up with disinfectant wipes. I even brought the urine soaked cloths to the front office. This is now my third trip to the office with two sick children waiting. His response was to allow me to leave with my money back and did not even offer a discounted rate. After I wiped the black sticky table down fed the kids and tucked them into the now disinfected sheets, cuz who knows at this point. I took a walk to the pop machine. It was easy to find because of the giant sign that said POP AND ICE. But it too was not functioning. Oh well at least I've got my tablet and some peace and quiet. Now, what is the password for the Wi-Fi? Ugh! Early night. The next day at just after 11am, the "house keeper" came to inform me that check out was at 11. And why would he tell you 12, he knows I don't have a lot to do, um I think you do actually. She takes her finger and taps the inside of the door where the check out policy is neatly printed. Yup, I read that while I was cleaning my own, now over priced room thanks. Maybe you should talk to him about it was all I could actually say. She even brought up the dirty room complaint as if I has made it up. I thought I was doing the right thing by showing him. It got me nothing but harassed. All she has left to do is change the bedding and empty the trash. I even wiped down the furniture. I can rest easy knowing the next occupants of room 8 will not be getting my kiddos strep throat. I can't vouch for the other rooms though. If you are fisherman, it's a place to hang your waders and pass out and its cheaper than any where else. Be sure you like rock hard firm support. If you plan on occupying your room and using the facilities, this is not the place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Joy S
baldwincreeklodge, Owner at Batcke's Baldwin Creek Lodge, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Joy,
Sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay with us. To comment on a couple of the statements you made....we do not keep the ice and pop machines running in the winter nor do we plug them in until we have above 30 degree temps at night! Our housekeeper came to apologize in the morning for the dirty bathroom floor that your children were running around barefoot on, at that time she said it was fine that you had a late check out because she had a full change over to do and never once entered your room or tapped on the 11am check out sign. I have never in all the years she has worked here, had one customer comment that she was anything less than pleasant! Thank you for "sterilizing" the room but we have to do much more than change the sheets and linens after guests urinate the bed. As first mentioned I'm sorry you were not satisfied with your stay and its our policy to offer you your money back as the "manager" did but it seems you were looking for something for free?
I hope your children are feeling better after traveling with strep throat!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is the first time I have ever written a review. My trip was one of the best overall values I have experienced. Start with the fishing. I landed two salmon, a steel head, and a couple of browns as we fished a stretch of water on the PM that had a variety of great habitat, or at least Captain Mike knew where to find them. I got the trout as we were moving to different holes for the migratory fish. It was great staying on site at the lodge - I actually got to see how the drift boat we used was made. Accommodations were affordable, clean, and convenient. I am booked for another trip and a longer stay since I want to try fishing the PM again as well as the Little Manistee. I planned the trip for next fall so I can try my hand at grouse hunting again and make it an all-sports long weekend. Mike and Catie Batcke were great hosts.

Room Tip: If I get some others to join me for the all-sports weekend, I will get one of the private cottages o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My buddy and I stayed here two weekends ago and we went snowmobiling. Although Baldwin isn't the most exciting town, Batcke's Baldwin Creek was the perfect place for us to ride! There was ample parking for our trailer and we were able to ride right from the lodge! We also liked that it was close enough to town that we could get gas or grab a bite to eat when needed!

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank willisjd
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed two nights at the lodge this past Fall. It was very clean, comfortable and very reasonably priced. The rooms were spacious and the linens were clean. The people that own/work at the lodge are very nice and were always quick to answer any questions or requests I made. The lodge is located close to local restaurants and pubs. Overall, super pleased with our stay and will come back again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Megan L
Motown
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed in the 'trailer' in the back for the convenience of a kitchen and two bedrooms. The floor near the bathroom is rotting away. They have some makeshift plastic tiles on top so their customers don't fall through. This isn't my complaint at all. It's a trailer in Baldwin. What can you expect, right? What I find disgusting and just wrong is that when I woke up, i had hair all over my black shirt. I sat on their vinyl recliner in the trailer and no where else so it came from the bed. If one changes the sheets out between customers, you shouldn't be covered in someones hair! It makes you think how often do they change out the sheets. This is wrong and disrespectful. We didn't get these rooms for free nor did we expect anything more than 2 stars, but please clean the place! The other occupants on the other beds had hair on them too. If you have to stay here, bring a sleeping bag to sleep in.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank 03rcode
baldwincreeklodge, Owner at Batcke's Baldwin Creek Lodge, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
03rcode,
First off, I would like to apologize for the hair on your sheets, we do not find this to be acceptable standards and strive to have the cleanest rooms and cabins possible. We had a girl filling in in housekeeping prior to your stay in the trout house, who no longer works for us. As far as the "rotting floor and makeshift plastic tiles" we had a leak above the door and used the tiles until the cabin was not rented and we could get in there and fix the flooring and leak, which has been completed.
03rcode, I wish you would have brought "the hair on your black shirt" to our attention immediately so we could address the issue right then and there not almost a week later when you or someone in your party called and notified us of this issue and stated they were letting us know "before someone posts something online" which we now know to be true. You/your party has stayed with us on many occasions and we have extended many courtesies to you/your party and would have hoped for the same in return.
Indiana
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Great place! Stayed for one night here because all of Ludington was booked up for the summer weekend. Cozy little "one of a kind" place with super nice people, comfortable beds, reasonable price, and rustic atmosphere. Also, stop in a get a bite to eat at Barski's, great food. Would write a review for them as well, but they aren't listed here on Tripadvisor. I didn't get a chance to thank the friendly girl in the office for her great hospitality, so "Thank you, you have a great little place there."

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BusterB8
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Having reservations for our group for one night was a good thing, being in this limited area of places to stay for a group. A mom and pop atmosphere for a good price. Alittle rustic for the ladies, but adequate. A much welcoming place to stay after a long day of traveling. The beds were very comfortable for a good night's sleep for all.

Room Tip: I thought alittle more 'rustic' than the previous reviews (which I booked strictly from), bu...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ddwess
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baldwin
Red Moose Lodge
Red Moose Lodge
#2 of 4 in Baldwin
Best Bear Lodge & Campground
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Rapids
Pere Marquette River Lodge
The Rockwell Lake Lodge

Been to Batcke's Baldwin Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!