“Second Choice in Bad Axe but less Expensive and just as nice”

Ameriway Inn and Suites
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bad Axe
Anna, Ohio
“Second Choice in Bad Axe but less Expensive and just as nice”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Nov 7 2011, I had a business trip to The Thumb area of Michigan. Last time we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express which is also very nice but found it to be full 30 days in advance of our trip. So the choice we took was the Econo Lodge in Bad Axe.

The Room had two double beds in the room, a Desk, closet, bureau with TV and enough room for a couch or chair if arranged differently. The bathroom has just the toliet and shower with the sink ( somewhat small) in the hallway acrosss from the entrance to the bathroom. The room was very clean, neat and quiet. It is set-off a considerable distance from the drive to an area shopping center and the highway. Note: You may miss it if you rely just on your Garmin which may take you out of town. I just bought a new one so didn't have any problem.

There is an attached sports bars which I didn't use but some of my associates used after we went out to dinner.

For the cost is a very good choice and well worth the money.

Room Tip: Booking hotels in Bad Axe need to be made at least 30 days in advance, due to the Wind Farm construc...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Jo_and_Tom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Parry Sound, Canada
Reviewed August 31, 2011

It's funny seeing such mixed reviews about this hotel. I traveled over 12,000 miles on my motorcycle this summer and I can tell you some stories. This hotel was clean, the receptionist, Laura, was awesome and very friendly. The little bar next to the lobby had good prices and the bartender was a very nice girl who stayed open late for us. I don't think I can think of any real negative things to say about this place. It was all good as far as I'm concerned.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank HardRider59
Lansing, MI
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed here for an out of town wedding. We arrived very late, after the wedding. We were apprehensive as when we pulled into the parking lot, there was a fighting going on inside the bar area that spilled out into the parking lot and a police vehicle entered behind us. Being pregnant and tired, my first thought was that I hoped our room wasn't facing the parking lot noise. We checked in with no problem and the employees were extremely nice and helpful. We got the very first room next to th elobby, right beside the part of the parking lot of the fight. Suprisingly, the room was still very quiet all night long (even with 2 wedding parties staying there). We were hungry and happy to find a variety of food and drinks in the vending machines. The room was outdated, but sifficient. The drapes need to be replaced as they do not shut all the way and someone had used tape to shut them in the past. The room was very clean though. We also noticed that our room used to be a smoking room aat one time as there were burn marks in the carpet and the door was the only one we saw without a "no smoking" sign. It still smelled like smoke, even though people shouldn't be smoking in it anymore. It wasn't too strong, but being rpegnant, I could smell it a little and so could my husband. We did get the last room avaiable there and it was much cheaper than the Holiday Inn, so I didn't care too much about the smell. The bed was suprisingly comfortable, even though I have a very bad back. When I first looked at the bed, I was concerned that my back would hurt very badly in it. It was one of the first nights in a long time that my back didn't hurt though! In the morning, we tried to go for a swim, but the pool was too cold to even get into. My husband enjoyed the hot tub though. The pool area was very clean and there was a sun deck. The breakfast was sufficient with a large variety.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Clermont, Florida
Reviewed March 10, 2011

Not a bad hotel. Lobby was nice, indoor pool was there, though there were teenagers that flipped me off every time I walked by. Rooms were as basic as Motel 6. Just a bed, TV, and a table, nothing else. They didn't have a ton in terms of breakfast, but they have an onsite restaurant that is advertised as a steakhouse, but looks more like a bar.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Gwinn MI
Reviewed August 9, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this Econ Lodge for 2 nights. The room was thick with old cigarette smoke. The desk person made it a point to tell us that it was a smoke free hotel and there was a sign in our room that said there would be a $250 cleaning fee for smoking in the room. I found this ironic since everything in the room including bedding and all our clothes reeked of smoke. The "continental breakfast was an absolute joke. Very little food, watery coffee and a small cramped room to eat in. They did give us $10 off our hotel fee because of the smoke but only for the 2nd night, since we didn't say anything until morning. Also there were no towel racks to hang up used towels, like a hand towel. We ended up hanging them on the shower rod. Very inconvenient!!
And of course they had no other rooms to give us. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Woodsygirl32
Michigan
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Working in the hotel industry I may be a bit picky but this hotel was just awful. The service was at least bearable. However, I was traveling with a friend and upon checking in we wanted to split the cost of the hotel on 2 credit cards, the front desk agent said "I'd prefer not to"....thought the customer was always right or at least right when it's something manageable like that. We went to the room to find hairs all over the bathroom, blood and hairs on sheets....we called for a change of sheets and although they were prompt they didn't seem to thrilled about us complaining and making what seemed to them to be "extra" work. The front desk also did not have any extra toothbrushes or even tell us where we might find a closest store.
The worst, and most disappointing, part was that I emailed the General Manager not even fishing for a refund but just as someone who receives feedback giving it back. You can't be everywhere at once at a hotel and I thought she deserved to know what was going on at her hotel. It's been two and a half weeks and no response. Not even an apology, very disappointing.
Pay the extra and try the Holiday Inn if you find yourself in Bad Axe.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank cassarass77
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed June 20, 2010

My room was given away by the hotel down the street so I went to the Bad Axe Econo Lodge & Suites and am I ever glad I did. Not only the price was good the hotel appeared to be brand new. The front desk was very helpful after I told them what happened, infact they upgraded my room to a suite for only a few dollar's more. The room was very spacious and clean. The next morning as I was checking out the front desk asked me if I had a chance to have breakfast and showed where the free continental breakfast was. There was everything from fresh hot waffles to cereal to fresh fruit and even something for my sweet tooth. I'm so glad I stayed at the Econo Lodge and would recommend to everyone!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
#1 of 1 in Harbor Beach
Bad Axe Motel
Bad Axe Motel
#2 of 2 in Bad Axe

Been to Ameriway Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!