Holiday Inn Express Bad Axe
  • Breakfast included
$76
$71
$89
All reviewspancake machinethumb areatv channelsthe breakfast areahot tubport austini highly recommend this hotelworkout roomrooms are cleanfront desk staffyogurtdefinitely stay here againcontinental breakfastdirectvfuneralwalmarthousekeeper
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Awful service...dirty room and Gary is just what everyone else said. I have NEVER gone to a hotel and had to clean my own room!! Botjlh nights same issues. I complained abourlt the filth...i get told by Gary I am no longer welcome there!!! Fine by me!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
10  Thank vickie1027
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bad Axe, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Dear vickie1027,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept our sincerest apology for the room accommodations you had and the service you encountered affected your stay negatively. We have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M

Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you are hosting a wedding in the Thumb, do yourself and your guests a favor and avoid this hotel at all costs... Have them stay at the Franklin Inn. Without beleaguering you with our disappointingly poor experience, I will touch on the problems we had.

There is zero organization and accountability at this hotel - no coordination, email communication, customer service, etc. For example, without notice, 3 weeks prior to the date, all remaining open rooms on our wedding-block were released. Half our guests still had not made reservations and were fighting for space.

They were mainly fighting with the GM, Gary, who would not honor the block rate, was now charging double, and required a 2 night minimum. Gary openly argued at the front desk with several of our guests who, without warning, were charged 2 nights instead of 1. Because there is no accountability or communication, when you call (there is no other way to book) you rely on them for accuracy. Upon checkout, Gary disagreed with several of our guests who booked for 1 night at the block rate and charged them for 2. Gary felt entitled to do this because of the limited options in Bad Axe, the festival taking place the same weekend, and because it was his word against ours.

Before the ceremony and during the reception, I was on the phone with the hotel to try and fix the nearly dozen issues we were facing... 2 people actually had to stay in the conference room on cots (after pleading with the hotel).

The most disheartening part - when my bride checked into our room the morning of the wedding (which by the way was not comped) and kindly asked Gary to fix the issues, he threatened to kick her out of her room. "Maybe this isn't the hotel for you"... As if to say, too bad, it's last minute and take it or leave it.

Do yourself a favor... Stay somewhere else.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank Ryan C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bad Axe, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Ryan C,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Bad Axe.

Orlando A.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

If you don't come in contact with the owner, Gary, your stay will probably be okay. Not only was he rude to myself, but I observed him in arguments with other guests in the lobby during my stay. Its sad that he can get away with acting that way. I grew up in Bad Axe, and it makes me so sad to think that he is setting an example for the community. I don't think he cares if he is rude because there aren't many options and they book up fast. Its like he's running a monopoly and is holding all the cards... he is the owner in a small town that has a limited number of lodging options. He's not afraid to threaten you in terms of releasing your room if you aren't agreeable. It sounds like the area hotels are often full on weekends and he's not afraid to use that card against you if there is a disagreement. Such a crooked businessman. I scanned through the other reviews and was not surprised to see his name mentioned. It makes me so sick to think that he is acting so rude and still making a lot of money every weekend because of the demand for rooms. He basically says, if you don't like it leave. So ungrateful for anyones business.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Erica c

Dear Erica c,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel was a good value in comparison to some of the privately owned hotels in the area that charge the same price $95/night and don't offer the same amenities. The beds were very comfortable, working AC, complimentary breakfast included, and great pools.

Only negative was the customer service. Aside from the lovely woman who was working the breakfast buffet, the front desk staff seemed very stiff and borderline rude. I walked up to check in and the manager was working on something else and it took him about 2 minutes to even look up and acknowledge me at the counter (he was standing right in front of me).

I would recommend a refresher course in providing pleasant customer service.

Would definitely book this hotel again based on everything else.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I experienced the absolute worst customer service I ever have in my life during my recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Bad Axe, MI. A large group of my friends were in town for a friend’s wedding and a group of rooms had been blocked off at this hotel. I made a reservation for my room well in advance for Saturday night and was quoted a total of $84.50 for my one night stay. Upon arrival on Saturday, I was informed that I had booked a two-night reservation (Friday and Saturday) and that I was marked as a “no show” for Friday night. The manger of the hotel, Gary Malchow, told me that as a “compromise,” he would only charge me 50% of the cost for the room on Friday night. I was a little shocked to hear this, considering the fact that I never made the reservation in the first place!

After meeting up with our other friends at their rooms (also at the same hotel), we found out that we were not the only ones having problems with our reservation. One couple had the same problem that we had (booked for two nights when they had only reserved one night) and had their room given away; another couple was told they could only stay in the wedding block if they booked a two-night stay (completely ridiculous); and another friend was overcharged and was not given the wedding block discounted rate. We were appalled at the fact that not only had we all had issues with our rooms, but we had all experienced the same terrible guest service from Gary. We felt that he handled our individual situations poorly and was uncooperative and disrespectful. We later found out that the bride herself had confronted him about a pricing error for yet ANOTHER guest, and he had been so rude and unhelpful that when she tried to work out a solution, he told her “the conversation was over” and “maybe this was not the right hotel for her and her guests.”

The next day at checkout when my roommate and I talked to Gary about the mix-up, we explained that we did not think it was fair that we were going to be charged for a night that we did not reserve. Gary just stood there and repeatedly said “a two-night stay was booked and we no-showed on Friday.” He never once admitted that the mistake could have been his own fault and he never apologized or seemed to even care that we were upset. I am a manager myself at a large corporation and our number one goal is to make the customer happy, and we will do whatever it takes to achieve that. Gary seemed to care less about how we felt and when my roommate tried to get in touch with his superior, he told me that she needed to get off the phone and that he was “ending the situation” and was not taking the extra charge off our bill. In other words, he told us to leave.

I am still shocked about how this entire situation was handled and how Gary treated my friends, the bride and groom, and myself. He was rude to everyone, showed no sympathy, and I honestly got the impression that he was just trying to take our money. Unrelated to our reservation issues, the hallways in the hotel reeked of marijuana (which lingered into the lobby), and the man staying in the room across from us said that his room had a strong moldy odor to it. I think that this Holiday Inn Express should be shut down or new management should be hired immediately, because it is truly a disgrace to the Holiday Inn chain.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank Krista B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bad Axe, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Krista B,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Bad Axe, MI. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M