“save yourself a headache! go elsewhere”
Review of Colonial House Inn

Ranked #17 of 24 Restaurants in Yarmouth Port
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Buffalo, New York
“save yourself a headache! go elsewhere”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

My fiance and I chose this location for our wedding ceremony, as the B& B had an outdoor grove where we could have the ceremony and was only a ~5min drive to the beach. We live 10hrs away so we had to rely on the site's pictures and reviews and we ended up with a nightmare! The entire Inn is beyond outdated. All of the rooms were musty and our guests did not even want to sleep there because of the filth. The pool and hottub were flooded with mud and had frogs swimming in them. The "social" rooms were so musty and dark that none of our guests wanted to be near them, and the outdoor deck was a joke with furntiure made out of plastic piping with cushions that are atleast 20+ years old. We were so embarassed as our guests were so unhappy here and it was supposed to be a happy and special memory for everyone. The outdoor grove was not at all like it is in the pictures. In a last minute scramble before the ceremony, my father and brother had to try and hunt down the manager (mac) to try and find a toolbox to fix the bridge we were supposed to stand on for the ceremony. He was nowhere in site, so they had to find a locla hardware store to get materials/tools to fix it, and we had other guests running off to nurseries and other stores to try and find flowers and decorations to make the grove look presentable. This was such a joke!! And then the manager had the audacity to ask for a picture because "we made the place look so nice." The onsite restaurant does not cover your room/food pricing that you see on their site. The gratuity they charge you is ridiculous!! Our guests could not wait to get out of this place. Save yourself the money and aggravation and stay elsewhere! If we would have known about all of the other B&B's in the area, we would have never stayed here and will never again!

• Visited July 2011

Mendon, Massachusetts
“Excellent, well prepared dinners”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We attempted to make reservations at the Colonial Inn on a Wednesday evening for 7 PM and met with some resistance from the man (Inn Keeper, I assume) answering the phone. He told us business was slow and they would be closing by that time.

Wow, did that give us cause to worry, especially with that early closing! Because we had a Restaurant.com certificate for $50.00, we made reservations for the following night and with a bit of sighing and hesitation on his part could only get reservations for 6:45 PM. That was fine we told him. We arrived promptly at 6:45 and were seated immediately in a small room in the Inn. It is a very old place and with some imagination you could vision it's former grandeur of days gone by. Our waitress, an older woman, was very gracious and attentive to our table. She seemed a bit hard of hearing or flustered at times and apologized for any delays. She was also waiting on other tables in a distant room. Our meal started with a bowl of onion soup ($6.00) which was very good and was followed by a refreshing salad of mixed greens topped with their creamy house dressing (included with your meal). I ordered the Scallops and, oh my! They were by far the BEST scallops I have had! So tender and fresh! They were served with a choice of side dishes. My husband ordered the grilled asparagus and I ordered the mashed potato and we shared those side dishes. Both were excellent. The other couple at our table choose a salmon dish and the steak au poivre. Both were very pleased with their choices. We love things old and enjoy dining in older restaurants so we did find this place appealing. For those who would like to linger over a delicious, well prepared dinner in a quiet atmosphere, I recommend this place for its superb menu! Too bad it is not open for lunch! It would make a delightful place for an afternoon Tea Room!

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank traintracks
Woodstock, New Hampshire
“Not in my top One Hundred”
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Always like to frequent the historical restaurants. This was a disappointment. The waitress was not trained to be a server. She was unable to open a screw top wine bottle, and hadn't a clue what decaf tea was, for expample. She knew very little about any of the food on the menu. When I asked about the lobster pie, she didn't know how it was prepared. I asked her to ask the chef and let me know about how many oz. of lobster was in the pie.(most places are at least 4 oz.) She came back and said, "a handful". I ordered scallops, not knowing whose handful it might be to measure!! The menu was uninspiring. There were McCormick salt and pepper grinders on the table (picnic anyone?) Enough said, the owner needs to take a walk around with fresh eyes. Needs updating and a new menu.

• Visited June 2011
3 Thank PemiNH
Mackinac Island, Michigan
“Decent Food, but Dining Room needs Sprucing Up”
Reviewed April 28, 2010

This is a review for the restaurant only. And it's really a 2.5 star review but the good food and welcoming attitude of the server and owner in a place that probably needs the business made me do it. First off, we were using a http://Restaurant.com gift certificate so that tells you something. And when we arrived at 6:30 on a Wednesday during school vacation week on the Cape, we were the first diners (tho. there were eventually 2 other couples by the time we left.) We ate out on an enclosed wrap-around porch so many tables had a view of pretty grounds and a charming main street. However, the decor is from the 60s & 70s, the furnishings are tired, the rug is indoor/outdoor carpet, and there is a distinct chlorine pool smell. Having said that, there were cloth tablecloths & napkins, fresh flowers and oil lamps on each table. We didn't have an appetizer, but the waiter (a winsome young Russian man) brought a small dish of celery sticks and dip. We both ordered fish. Our mixed drinks were generous. My scrod Meuniere was fresh and cooked perfectly and the rice included chopped zucchini and carrots and was delicious. My husband's Pan Seared Salmon was a little overcooked but flavorful & the baked potato was fine. We didn't get dessert. Would I go back again? No--too many other fine places to go. But if you are reading this because you are staying at the Inn (and dinner is included which is a good deal for the Cape) or you received a gift certificate, it's OK and you might even have a pleasant surprise or two.

3 Thank CCCHome
northern california
“EXCELLENT FOOD & SERVICE”
Reviewed July 1, 2009

Our evening @ The Colonial House was very enjoyable. Our server, a young Russian immigrant named Alexi was charming and attentive. We dined on the veranda overlooking the gardens. Our party of six all had excellent meals that included a side salad. The blackened Scrod was particularly delicious. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the Cape.