“Great food in a decaying mansion”

Anthony's Cummaquid Inn
Ranked #15 of 23 Restaurants in Yarmouth Port
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Previous reviews talk of heartbreak and sadness. I concur. The food we get is always excellent. Starting with the mushrooms and popovers, the chowder, boullibase, stuffed sole and steaks. I have only been coming over the past few years, but I wish I was able to see this in its heyday, it must have spectacular. Now, its simply great food in a decaying mansion. You have to be a hard core nastoligc cape codder to see the beauty, but its there if you can look past the obvious surface issues.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

First, I realize the Anthony Athanas' restaurants are living on borrowed time. But this was really sad and embarrassing.....for his sons who don't seem to know any better. Do they go down there even? We have been loyal guests of Pier 4, sticking by them through several awkward phases. But we have memories there and the food has stayed the course. We love how the menu doesn't change. We have our favorites and it's nice to know we can count on them to stay on the menu. When we are on the cape, we go to Cummaquid. I whole heartedly agree with the reviewer who mentioned "haunted mansion". Oh yes, beginning with the parking lot full of broken asphalt with lines of weeds sprouting through (could be the only signs of life about the place). We too were ushered past the usual dining rooms which were hot and stuffy....and empty. And then into the same sun porch. Same leaves above our heads on the faded plexiglas roof. The furniture, rod iron, had rows of stacked chairs along the walls. There was also a small dance floor left assembled, I cannot imagine how even a wedding could bring promise back to this once great lady of an inn. I am sorry to see the place so ignored and left behind. We found one very bright spot, and that was our sweet waitress. I am so sorry to have forgotten her name. She was lovely and made the return visit a pleasure.....or might she have been an apparition. This place could do that to you.

2  Thank JuneKinishkelly1
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This was the worst and strangest dining experience I have ever had..
First, the building looking like an old rundown haunted mansion.

Second, Apparently the AC broke in the dining room so they stuck us on the sun porch and didn't bother to clean it or make it look presentable. Rust, dirt, cobwebs, a plastic roof (with leaves and dirt showing through) The place was thrown together as a dining room...

Third, The waitstaff were terrible, we waited an hour to place our order, another hour for the food and then another hour fo the waiter to return so we could ask for the check.

Fourth, They were out of both bottles of wine we asked for, they forgot to bring our salad, they didn't ask if we wanted another glass of wine (since we ended up not getting a bottle) nor did they refill our water.

It literally felt like the place froze in time for 50 years and then woke up and started again without cleaning. It was very odd experience a mixture of an upscale dining experience with terrible service and horrible atmosphere. I had high hopes hearing all good things about Pier 4 restaurants, but I can't believe they even own up to this one.

It's really sad because it could a beautiful place if they fixed it up, and it could be very successful....

5  Thank Laura P
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My wife and I recently visited Anthony's Cummaquid Inn. We eat here about one a year, so it wasn't our first time. For those of you who remember the glory days of Anthony Athanas and Pier 4, you can probably visualize how magnificent this Inn must have been in its heyday.

But now it's decrepit. The worn sign at the entrance is the first clue, followed by the buildings that should have been painted many years ago. Nothing has been replaced for many years, and the tables and chairs are from the 1950's (so am I, but I hope I look better than them).

Visiting Anthony's Cummaquid Inn is like visiting your Grandmother on life support in the hospital. It's past her time and you're best left with fond, pleasant memories of the way it was.

3  Thank Doug508
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Anthony's Cummaquid is CLOSED and they do not know it (I doubt that).

Saturday night my wife took me to the once great restaurant in Cummaquid.

We had a party of four.

We will never go there or any of the other restaurants again.

It was my birthday and we had made reservations and stated that it was my Birthday on the reservations and my wife told the Manager (cousin Michael), that it was my birthday.

The CHEF must have left a while a go.

1. The Popovers were way too heavy (like LEAD) and not popped enough (oven and/or pans not hot enough).
2. Chowder and Lobster Bisque were OK.
3. Bouillabaisse was fair … only one piece of Salmon and lots of overcooked Swordfish, and ONE UNOPENED CLAM.
4. Stuffed Sole was horrible … way too thin and the dressing was over seasoned with an unknown spice that overpowered everything on the plate
5. Caesar salad was excellent.
6. My wife ordered the Strawberry cheesecake that was excellent.
7. THERE WAS NO Acknowledgment of my Birthday…. My wife was very upset but paid the bill and we left.
8. The waitress was young and excellent BUT when we told her about the Popovers we got no response from Management or her, She never filled our ice waters and we were never given any ice in our ice waters.
9. There was No aknowledgement of my Birthday.

I and very disappointed. I was a casual friend of Anthony and feel that he must be turning over in his grave.

1  Thank Jim L