“I used to love this place, until last night.”

Kyoto Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #319 of 589 Restaurants in Worcester
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I were regulars at this place. Last night we decided that it has been a little while since we have been there so we decided. The waiters know us that's how often we went, the food was always great. I ordered the filet and lobster and when my meal came i was moving my rice around and found what looked like a PUBIC HAIR!!!! Luckily the waiter was standing right in front of me as I pulled it out and saw everything he quickly grabbed my plate and said he would go yell at the cook in the back and they would make me a new plate. I received a new plate of food but was no longer hungry so I didnt eat the plate. I figured I would take the plate home because I knew my boyfriend would eat it at some point. When the check came they charged me the full $30 for my meal and when we asked for it to be taken off the waiteer said he could not do that because he had already replaced the plate. UMMMM I have been to restaurants before where I have ordered something and simply didnt like the food, they would take the plate back give me something else and take it off the bill. I was highly upset about this because I had never experienced such poor service from a place, especially one the I had been to so many times before. I refuse to go back there and spend any more money. So if you would like to go eat a meal at this place and eat PUBIC HAIR for $30, THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU!!!!

Reviewed January 20, 2012

This place is great. They have several tables, where they cook in front of you. Sitting at those tables are very entertaining. They also have other regular tables and a nice bar area to sit and eat at. The sushi has always been fresh and tasty. This is my favorite place to get sushi in the area. The people that work at Kyoto have always been really friendly and fun to chat with.

Tip, get some of the fried rice and ask for the sauce, it is delicious!!!!

Reviewed November 12, 2011

I've eaten here probably 30ish times since it opened and the quality of the food was not what it used to be. Two out of the past three times we've eaten there the quality of the sushi was very poor, and this was one of the better sushi joints around Worcester. I don't think I'll be ordering take out from here anymore but it's still a decent place to dine in, especially with the entertainment at the teppanyaki grills. For sushi you're better off with Baba Sushi on Park Ave or taking a drive out to Yama Zakura in Northboro.

Reviewed October 1, 2011

While out on a Saturday afternoon errand outing, my wife and I decided to try Kyoto. The place was not crowded; there was a hibachi table going and a family of 3 at the bar. We sat at the bar to have some sushi. There was a delay before someone took our order and then there was a strangely long delay before we received our food. That wasn't too surprising, however, when we observed the server (or manager, or whoever he was) chatting away with the other people there. Caddyshack happened to be playing on the large screen TV, and I had just commented to my wife how I can enjoy an afternoon eating sushi and watching Caddyshack. Then the server asked me what we were watching (we didn't set the channel -- it just happened to be on). I smiled and said "Caddyshack" and he immediately changed the channel. If we didn't already have a bad vibe about the place and the person, we certainly did at that point. The server even seemed to realize that the sushi order was taking an inordinate amount of time and he said something to the sushi chef. We ordered a variety of maki rolls, which unfortunately were very bland (e.g., spicy tuna was in no way spicy) and did not look appetizing. My wife had a shrimp tempura roll which had an excess of mayonnaise in it, and not even spicy mayo. I had to ask twice for the check. The server was right in front of the register the first time I asked, yet he walked away without printing it. We're not big complainers, but the food, service (/attitude) sucked. We're pretty new to town, but fortunately we've already had good sushi elsewhere in Worcester. I'm sure there are much better options than this place.

3  Thank OccamsShaver
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I love this place, I have been many times and have never had a bad experience- unless I got to another restaraunt because every other place is judged against this one.

We prefer to go week days for late lunches, my spouse will not eat the soup or mushrooms (the accompany the dinner meu and more $$$) its generally pretty quiet and you get fed quicker in the afternoon after the lunch rush. We both do the Filet Mignon and Chicken and he then gets a side of scallops or shrimp, depending on what he is in the mood for, Presentation (chef performance) isnt a big deal to me, cuz I have seen it so many times, but the chefs are efficent and entertaining, service is on point and the food is always cooked per specifications. I love the side sauces they have, one is a ginger based and perfect on the meat and veggies and the other sauce, I couldn’t begin to tell you whats in it, but it is so flipping tasty esp on the filet or the seafood.

They actually put this sauce in the fried rice which def makes it stand out amongst other Hibachi places AND they aren’t following the current trend of charging extra for friend rice and it does not contain the typical frozen peas and carrots. The portions and quality as well as the prices make this a home run to me. They also have superior ginger dressing!!!!! I am not a sushi person, but everyone seems to rave about it. If your looking for the hibachi, its the best I have had around these parts, give it a try, I doubt you will leave disappointed.

Dang, now I want Kyoto for dinner