“Delicious New Orleans cuisine in Worcester's Canal District”

Smokestack Urban Barbecue
Ranked #16 of 574 Restaurants in Worcester
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
worcester, MA
“Delicious New Orleans cuisine in Worcester's Canal District”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have visited Smokestack BBQ four or five times; once in its original location and several times in its current location. The move was a good one for the restaurant: Smokestack is now the anchor restaurant on Green St., which is one of Worcester's hippest quarters, potentially. It has plenty of parking and, now, outdoor seating. The food is consistently very good. My favorite dish is the shrimp and grits, which used to be an entree, but is now an appetizer. Be warned that that the appetizer size is plenty for dinner (for one person). I recently ate a similar dish in North Carolina, and I can say that Smokestack's version is superior. My son loves the corn dog. We have also tried the gumbo (good) and the chicken wings with honey-habanero sauce (excellent!). Every time we go to Smokestack, I am confident that the food will be well prepared. The only down side is that it sometimes takes a long time to get the food, which make sense given how good it is, but it can be tricky with kids. During our last visit, the waitress suggested that she bring the kids' food out with the appetizers, and that worked out just fine.

• Visited October 2013

Milford, Massachusetts
“good bbq in central MA”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

new England is not known for bbq, so this restaurant is the place to go. food is good, last time I was here I got a rack of ribs and used all 3 sauces to eat them.

• Visited April 2013
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Save your money”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was a very poor experience. The help was friendly but really had no clue about service. For instance the utensils are on the table in a box but the server neglected to see that there were no forks. The food was worse than the service, the half a rack was not smoked but burnt. In addition, I had to rip apart the ribs one by one with my hands since the knives were not sharp enough. What made things worse is that the ribs were attached by a vein of some type, I forget the proper term for this. Try cutting the ribs first. On the good side, I thought the cucumber salad was good and there were many TV's to see the RedSox while I ate. This really is a bar trying to be a restaurant for people who do not know any better. I went here because of a Worcester Mag review last time I'm doing that on both accounts.

• Visited July 2013
“Smokestack is really smoking!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I visited Smokestack Urban BBQ in Worcester, MA, with friends last night. Wow! The restaurant exceeded our expectations and certainly lived up to its name and reputation. The atmosphere is casual, the staff is friendly and attentive and the food is amazing. We enjoyed the sampler appetizer: fried pickles, barbecue chips, smoked pork quesadillas and wings - followed by ribs and sides. Couldn't get enough of their great food. We are definitely returning. Try it, you'll love it!

• Visited August 2013
“Great food”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Went here for the first time on a dinner date with my husband. The atmosphere and staff was pleasant. The food was delicious! I had the marinated steak tips. Soooo good!

Would go back again for sure!

• Visited July 2013