“Amazing Italian Food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Piccolo's Italian Restaurant

Piccolo's Italian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Piccolo's Italian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #100 of 566 Restaurants in Worcester
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Plum Street
Massachusetts
“Amazing Italian Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Went here for the first time during Restaurent Week 2013 on a Tuesday night. It was one of the best meals that I have had in a very long time. The food was extremely flavorful and fresh. The service was great and I had a really good experience. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2013

Sequim, Washington
“Nice waitress, but horrible food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

My mother and I were staying in Auburn so we decided to try out this place. Parking seemed to only be on the street, people were sitting right outside the door smoking and drinking, so it wasn't all that quiet to start with. the hotel we were staying at said we could leave our dogs in the room, but before getting our food, she called us and said that someone had knocked on the door and now they wouldn't stop barking. just a precursor to the rest of the story. anyways. we sat down, ordered a chocolate martini to split, my mom ordered a salad, some fried/breaded eggplant, and i ordered the caprese salad; we both ordered fettuccine for dinner. I got the normal fettuccine with spinach and egg noodles without the ham, and it was supposed to come with peas which never came, mom got just the egg noodles with just bream and butter, no cheese or anything else. when the apps came, moms salad never came, so she canceled it because she didnt want to wait, and the eggplant was just sauteed, no breading, and just very oily so she sent it back and told them to not bother making it again, but they still brought it back, looking almost as bad as the first plate. my caprese salad had great tomatoes, but the mozzarella (which was buffalo, so i knew there would be a different flavor anyways - i typically like it), it tasted rancid. i finished the tomatoes, but left most of the cheese on the plate. before the main dinner came, we got the call from the hotel, so we told the waitress we would take the dinner to go. once we got back to the hotel, we ate only a few bites of the fettuccine each, it tasted odd, and looked very curdled. i ended up getting extreme stomach pains and was vomiting all night, and my mother, who ate less than i did, still got sick. we both spent the next day in the bed. when i called them the day after and told the woman who answered the phone what happened, she took my name and number and said someone would call me back. no one did and my mother called, got the same treatment. called again a few more times, only to have the phone hung up. i waited about a week to write this because i was hoping it would be taken care of. the bill was $66 and we gave the waitress a $10 tip, even though we weren't there long. this is a pitiful excuse for fine dining.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank CLBowden
otgwk
“Happy to get a last minute reservation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

The restaurant was pretty crowded on Saturday night, but I was able to secure a last minute reservation for 10. The table was ready when we arrived. Service was decent, especially considering how crowded it was. The only issue we had was the two orders of garlic bread did not come out as an appetizer, they came with the food. Not really what we were looking for. The food was pretty good, portion sizes were generous. I ordered the chicken and broccoli rabe. It was well prepared, tender chicken and al dente broccoli rabe. The whole dish was a bit bland and could have used some salt (I added from the shaker). My friend seemed to enjoy her seafood dish, as she licked the plate clean. My daughter's dish came piled high with mushrooms, even though she requested no mushrooms. The restaurant was very noisy. Overall we were happy to get in last minute with 10 people, the food was ok, the prices were a little high($20 for two garlic bread appetizers) and the atmosphere was very noisy.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank otgwk
Sutton, Massachusetts
“A refreshing return.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I've known chef John Piccolo for many years but had fallen out of the habit of his fine restaurant due to sampling so many new ones in the Worcester area. My return was spur of the moment -didn't feel like cooking - first seating. Nice to be greeted by the chef and 3 lovely ladies at the door. We were shown to our table in a smallish dining room after sharing pleasantries with the staff. Service was quick and efficient with John's delicious fresh bread and dipping sauce. Both the veal parm and the veal chop were outstanding dishes, piping hot and abundant in size. We'll be back soon!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank ogogolby
Miami, Florida
“Dances on the tongue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Over the past dozen years, Shrewsbury Street has evolved into the epicenter of good flavors for central Massachusetts and is now home to dozens of interesting restaurants, of which five or six are truly noteworthy. Prominent on that list are Via, the newest and glitziest of the Ahlquist group of restaurants and its sibling next door, the 111 Chop House. But if the flavors are what you are looking for--- and eventually we all learn that they are at the apex of the hierarchy which includes service, ambience and location--- venture further down Shrewsbury to 157, where John Piccolo's namesake restaurant serves Italian fare like no other west of the North End. It occupies a corner building which formerly housed an Italian bank and which still features the original stamped tin ceiling and tile floor which have the effect of taking one back in time. One enters the restaurant through the bar, where Dawn and Lauren demonstrate mastery of the cocktail. Their Manhattans are the gold standard. We usually eat at the bar, but there are small tables in front and a larger dining area in the back. The menu consists of standards offered daily, among which the Raviolo 157 redolent with mozzarella, ricotta and smoked chicken, the Spaghetti alla Bechera with tangy sausage, roasted garlic and mushrooms served on freshly made red wine pasta, and the Vitello Mariano, an interesting version of veal Marsala, are my favorites. Preceding these, I invariably order the dish that gets my vote as the best salad in New England: the Bel Mondo, a tantalizing mix of fresh romaine, Granny Smith apples, slivered smoked almonds and dried cranberries bathed in a white balsamic vinaigrette and served on an icy plate. In addition to the regular items, there are nearly a dozen specials that change with market availability, and thus change with the season. At a recent visit, I had an appetizer of fried smelts with a garlic aioli and an entree of crabmeat-crusted fresh fillet of salmon served over linguine with a spinach and sherry shallot cream sauce that made me think I had died and gone to heaven. Piccolo's offers an interesting selection of beers and mid range wines, most from the western hemisphere, some from Italy, but only a few of them on a level that would deserve to be paired with this inspired and inspiring food--- and that is really my only criticism of this remarkable restaurant.

• Visited December 2012