“Good food, creative approach, terrible service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #55 of 566 Restaurants in Worcester
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Holden, MA
“Good food, creative approach, terrible service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

This is a very unique place where you cook your food hot pot style. The server had absolutely no clue how to explain anything to us, leaving us to figure it out by ourselves. The majority of the broths contain cilantro which I don't like so I had to figure out which ones didn't have cilantro. The actual food/ broth was very delicious. As time goes on, the food takes on the flavor of the broth and vice versa. I loved sipping the broth as a type of soup towards the end of the meal. The restaurant was freezing but when we mentioned this, they quickly turned down the vents. Very modern atmosphere. Even after requesting no cilantro, the server brought us the wrong broth which had cilantro so it had to be sent back. When our meats arrived, he couldn't tell us which meat was which. The appetizer portions (which we got for the kids) were good but very small in size. I would try this again now that I have a better understanding of how to do it and wouldn't need to spend most of the meal figuring it out on our own. They had been open for several weeks when we tried it, so I would have thought the wait staff would have been a bit more knowledgeable.

Visited May 2014

Worcester, Massachusetts
“Awesome fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

The service was great. Thank you Mimi. It was our first time and she was great explaining the food and process. My husband has food allergies and they were great with helping with that. The food was delicious. Vegetables fresh. We got the combination with chicken and two different broths. Can't wait to go again.

Visited June 2014
Shenzhen, China
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

I had been wanting to go here for a while and finally made it tonight. I really enjoyed the meal and the fondue style cooking. Enjoying spicy food, I was pleased with the tomyum broth. The whole experience was fun and the ambiance enjoyable. The only complaint I would have is the amount of meat that you receive. It is frozen, shaved and arranged in large rolls to make it look like you are getting more than you actually are as well as for a different presentation. Seeing "chicken breast" on the menu, I thought I would get an actual breast cut up into pieces. Instead I got maybe a quarter of a breast for $6. I don't feel like I got a good value by way of meats but overall was satisfied with the experience. Next time I will order seafood in the hopes that I will get a little bit more meat. Glad to see some of the same staff had stayed from the previous restaurant by the same owner at this location.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
“A fantastic dining experience with quality food to match!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

I have eaten hot pot at a few restaurants in NYC and Boston and love the experience. I knew the quality of food would be excellent since their sister restaurant next door has amazing food and this certainly doesn't disappoint. There is a full Szechuan menu as well with some very unique dishes if you want to stray from traditional Chinese and I've tried some things on this menu which were all great. I would encourage you to try the hot pot experience if you never have because you will definitely be back! Don't be intimidated. They will walk you through how and what to order and the nice part is you can add more food along the way if you haven't ordered enough. The broths are so delicious and the freshness of the food can't be beat. Love this place!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank AllieMAB
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Great Hot Pot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

Having never been to a hot pot restaurant before I wasn't sure what it would be like, but Chuan Shabu is really, really good! I was with a big group taking up two tables on a Thursday evening and we were never rushed at all. You're given a menu and a marker and you check which broth you want and what items you want to add in and they bring everything to your table, turn on the burner and let you have at it. The kimchi broth was very flavorful, not too spicy. The meat was fresh, everything was delicious. I'll definitely be making a return visit!

• Visited April 2014