“What a wonderful restaurant!”
Review of Webster House Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Webster House Restaurant
Spencer, Massachusetts
“What a wonderful restaurant!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Recently we had the pleasure of attending one of the Webster House's "Wine Dinners". Not only was the wine delicious but the food that they paired with each wine was outstanding. We had a table of 8 people and every person commented on how delicious each course was. We all said that we would be visiting again! Another delight was the service! The staff was friendly and attentive and had a sense of humor! Very refreshing! We would recommend this restaurant to family and friends. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited December 2012

Worcester, Massachusetts
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We visited on a Saturday night . There was no host/hostess at the desk and a waitress ran by us at least three times, looked directly at us but never said a word. Finally the same waitress stopped, said OMG and seated us. She apologized for the wait saying it was very busy yet there were several empty tables. She returned to the table and hurriedly offered to take our meal order. She brought us rolls then returned to ask if we wanted more but tried to talk us out of getting more because our meal was coming. We got the rolls and the meals. My husband mentioned that he had never received his chowder. She again apologized and since his meal was in front of him he said he would take his chowder to go. She said she could certainly do that. My husband's prime rib and roasted potatatoes were not bad. I got the fisherman's stew. If you have a can of Campbell's tomato soup, a piece of white fish, a few shrimp. a few mussels, some diced tomatoes and some frozen diced carrots I'm sure you could duplicate this meal at home. It was the most tasteless seafood dish I have ever been served. When we were done eating the waitress took the discount voucher we had for the meal, hurried back to belatedly ask if we wanted any dessert, brought the check back stating "I hope you don't think I'm rude but I've been called to an emergency. She left us sitting with the check. I put the amount that we owed plus the few one dollar bills that I had with the check that still included the missing clam chowder and we left. While we were there we heard two diners complain about their meals and everyone was asked if they wanted their change back when they paid their check. One lady's change was over $20. What a disappontment. This was a good restaurant under the previous owners.

• Visited November 2012
Taylor, PA
“French Canadian buffet”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I've just had an upsetting and frustrating experience with Jo-Ann Atkins Woupio Gaboury, the current owner and long time employee of the Webster House. My sister, who lives, in New Jersey, recently had a very nice meal at the Webster House. I decided to look at the website and saw that they advertised a number of ethnic buffets. I am planning a large get together in the late spring in the Worcester area. I looked at the website and saw that listed a French Canadian ethnic buffet. I did not think that they would list such a buffet if they did not offer such a buffet but I was sadly mistaken. I called shortly after 11:00 A.M. on Thursday, 11 October and asked to talk to Mrs. Gaboury. I just wanted to know what foods were on the French Canadian buffet and what the cost of the buffet was. Jo-Ann said that she was too busy to look it up for me. She told me to call back in a few hours and that she would leave the information with the person who answered the telephone. I called back shortly after 3:00 and was told that Jo-Ann had left the restaurant for a while and had not left anything about the French Canadian buffet. I called back again around 6:30 and this time I was told that she had just had a death in the family. Again, she had not left anything for me. I then decided to write her a letter on 12 October and enclosed a stamped-self-addressed envelope so that she could mail me the information at my expense. I waited until 18 October and called her again. She told me that she would send me the information very soon. I then decided to do some research to determine how close the death in her family had been. I discovered that her three sons by her first husband had not died, that her sister had not died, that her brother had not died, that her current husband had not died, that his daughter by his first wife had not died. I also discovered that her former husband died a few years ago and that her current husband's former wife is also still living. I am wondering why the person who answered the telephone that evening told me about this death in her family. I waited patiently for Mrs. Gaboury to get back to me and she never did. Yesterday was three weeks to the day since my first call so I called her again. She told me that they have not done the French Canadian buffet in a while and nobody remembers what was included in it. Yet, she has no qualms about advertising such a buffet which led me to think that they could actually do it. She never gave me a thought from one telephone call to the next telephone call. I am glad that I got to see how callously she handles a prospective client as I now know that I would never want to get involved with her in a business transaction.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Cecile117
Holden, Massachusetts
“September ethnic Polish meal”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

A friend and I came to try the ethnic Polish meal that they advertised for September. We are both of Lithuanian heritage but since some of the foods are similar we thought we would try it. Let me just say it was not good. We ordered the combination plate. The food was tepid. I had never seen a potato pancake that was like a roll that had been baked and the crust was hard. It could have been used as a hockey puck. The stuffed cabbage filling was mushy and the sauce covering it was terrible. They advertised fresh kielbasa , but it was smoked and not fresh but tasted OK. The cabbage was tasty. The beets were just sliced with nothing on them. The pierogis were nothing like homemade and were actually not as good as the ones that I sometimes buy that are frozen. The thin slice of ham was OK. I did not like the taste of the carrots but am not sure what the seasoning was on them. Our waitress did not even know anything about the Polish special and had to check into it.. I will give her the benefit of the doubt in that we were there at 4:30 and she perhaps thought we still wanted to order from the lunch menu. We had to ask for more water, I also do not like it when asked if we want rolls rather than just serving them. It does seem to cater to the elderly. A very elderly gentleman with his caregiver across from us ordered sandwiches that came with fries and they looked good. Based on this meal I would not return. I would be too afraid that the other selections would be poor too.

• Visited September 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not the restaurant it once was”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Although the service has remained good since the change in ownership, the food quality had diminished on our most recent visit which was disppointing. Also, there is little attempt to create plates that are pleasing to the eye.

Visited March 2012