“Vegetarians, Beware Indira O'Brien!”

O'Connor's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #3 of 575 Restaurants in Worcester
Cuisines: American, Irish, Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
central Massachusetts
“Vegetarians, Beware Indira O'Brien!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

First of all, I love O'Connor's and it remains, in my opinion, Worcester's very best restaurant overall. Up until last Thursday night I had never had anything but a delicious meal there. Well, there's a first time for everything.

So vegetarians, consider yourself warned. If you are curious, as I was, to find out if the best restaurant can stretch beyond its already colossal menu and offer an authentic & tasty Indian dish - well you should think twice. I ordered "Indira O'Brien's Vegetable Curry" and it was, in a word, horrible.

Yes, I know, I had no business ordering Indian food in an Irish pub, but I just wanted to know if they could pull it off. Uh, no. It was generously plump with assorted vegetables and the jasmine rice was just fine. However, what they describe as a "sweet and spicy curry" was more like Italian pasta sauce with too much sugar and a heavy dose of curry thrown in. Waaay too much tomato and waaaay too much sugar. I tried to eat some but I kid you not, I couldn't eat it. They packed up the leftovers (i.e., nearly the entire plate) and I did bring it home but it is going to hit the garbage disposal.

I did tell my waitress that I was dissatisfied, but this was a long while into the meal. The waitress had asked us if everything was already shortly after we were served, but I hadn't yet tried the dish. Then she didn't come back again until my husband was done with his dinner. She asked me specifically what I did not like about it and I told her, hoping it will help the chef make an adjustment. What did they do about it? I wish they had offered me a replacement entree, but they didn't; so much for having dinner. To their credit, they did offer me a free dessert of my choice. We got the Chocolate on Chocolate Big Baby Bundt Cake to go and shared it when we got home. Nothing like chocolate to put an end to feeling sorry for yourself that you ordered the wrong thing.

Of course I will go back to O'Connor's, with luck many more times in my life. But you'd have to pay me a LOT of money to eat good ol' Indira O'Brien's nasty vegetable curry.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank mxchana

M.A.
“Always Very Busy”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

... from previous reviews, this restaurant appears to be constantly busy. It was very busy when we ate here around 5 on Saturday evening. We asked for a table for 7 and were seated immediately.This is a high volume restaurant which may explain the wait for our food... just a bit too long but not excruciating. Drinks were served immediately and appetizers were quick. Server was friendly and always checked back for anything we needed. Food is good, choices extensive, ample beer and wine list , fair prices. If you plan on eating here give yourself some extra time. Very busy... not a place for a romantic dinner.

1 Thank sdemo66
New Bern, North Carolina, USA
“Excellent value”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Good food. Easy access and good parking. Interestingly smaller dining areas within the restaurant. Comfort food mainly, with an Irish flair.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank rfdorse
Hartford, Connecticut
“Wide menu, good food”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This place is busy early. Already crowded at 5pm on a Saturday. Great for meeting a group of people. They food is good, portions large and service friendly. It is not just your Irish pub food they have a wide variety. Our table of 5 had the salmon and others had the Steak salad. The salmon was good and plates were cleaned. The Steak salad was more than I could eat. I would go again.

1 Thank lreid46
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Restaurant in Worcester”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Every meal I have ever at O' Connor's has been outstanding. Great food and atmosphere. Highly recommended.

1 Thank jdsports23