“Worst Mother's Day Brunch”

Maxwell-Silverman's Toolhouse
Ranked #345 of 593 Restaurants in Worcester
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 19, 2009

My family and I attented Maxwell-Silverman's Mother's Day Brunch last year and it was the worst restaurant experience I have ever had. The brunch was SO unorganized and there were crowds of people waiting to be seated. Even though we had a reservation, we waited about a half hour to be seated. The service was AWFUL and the food was not worth waiting for. I would never recommend this restaurant for any meal of any kind. I even emailed the restaurant to complain of the experience and I never heard back from them.

15  Thank MassReviewer9

Reviewed May 12, 2008

My wife had been there several times, and loved the food. So we made reservations for Mother's Day brunch. We booked their first seating at 10:00. The restaurant didn't open their doors until 10:00 sharp, so at that time there were several hundred people lined up in the parking lot. After about a half-hour of waiting in line, we got inside, and were able to check in. (Why couldn't they have sent someone outside to the line to speed that process up?) At that point we were told we'd be sitting on the first floor. Good thing - there was only one elevator that went up to the 4th floor, and if we were unlucky enough to be sitting up there it would have meant another half-hour wait for the elevator, or a 4-flight walkup for our party of 6 adults and 2 children. Once we sat down, had to ask 4 times for a high chair. Then the waitress came by and offered to take our drink orders. We ordered coffee, and asked if there was juice at the buffet or if we should order it through her. She said 'You could get it from the bartender, or I suppose you could order it from me'. She seemed confused about how to handle juice orders. We've been to brunches where you get your glass of cuice at the buffet, so it seemed like a valid question. We certainly didn't plan to go to the bar just to get our juice orders. Then we went to get our food. The buffet was split into 2 sections - one line for the lunch-type food / carving station, one (LONG) line for the breakfast food. We stood in the breakfast line for 15, 20, 30 minutes. Fortunately our line snaked by the dessert table, so we were at least able to eat some cookies while we waited, while our coffee went cold on our tables. When we finally got to the food stations, there were about 5 things to choose from - eggs benedict, apple blintzes, a total of 2 pieces of french toast, some bacon and sausage, and ONE person making omelets to order. At this point, the line behind us was even LONGER than we had first started. None of the food my wife remembered from previous visits was offered - no bagels, no pastries, no pancakes, no fruit salad, etc etc etc. And we couldn't even fill up our plates with what little food they did have (thereby possibly avoiding another half-hour wait for seconds) -- the only plates that were stacked up were the size of salad plates. That's when we left - we had seen probably half-dozen other parties leave angrily ahead of us, and we couldn't blame them. It was truly AWFUL. Management didn't seem particularly apologetic. It was 11:00 by the time we left - having been there for an hour. My wife tells me they raised their prices for Mother's Day, and the selection was much smaller than normal. What a disappointment. Opinion - they jacked up the prices, cut the selection, booked their entire capacity to show up at exactly 10:00, and didn't give ANY thought to the logistics of how people would move. We don't plan to ever go back.

13  Thank dn1967
Reviewed April 7, 2008

My Husband and I dined at Maxwell-Silverman's this past Saturday. We had been there several years ago for a Mothers Day brunch and remembered the food as being very good. The attraction to going there recently was to try their menu and they also had music and dancing. I had made a reservation for 7:00pm. We arrived on time and were greeted by the Maitre D. He stated to me and I quote"What can I do for you" I told him we had reservations for dinner and gave him the name. He appeared as though seating us was an interruption to replacing the lightbulb he had in his hand and he made us wait while he did just that. When we were seated it was about 20 minutes before the waitress came over to take a drink order and just as long to get the drinks. We finally ordered our appetizer and dinner at the same time as we certainly had enough time to review the menu at least a dozen times. Our meal was excellent, I had the Lobster stuffed ravioli and my husband had the sesame encrusted salmon. We both had dinner salads which were fresh and almost to large to be a side salad. The service did not get any better as the evening dragged on. They apparently do not have any bus service or at least not on this night. the waitress had to serve, clear and fetch drinks for what I counted was about 6 tables including ours. Some of the tables were large parties. We did observe the same held true for the other wait staff as well but as we counted there was only about 5 total in the dining room serving and the place was about full. After almost three hours we dare not order dessert. So we just asked for the bill and departed. We travel in Italy frequently and actually enjoy a meal which is not rushed, but this is not the case. In Italy they are every attentive to your needs and even though meals are slower paced the service is and has been impeccable. At Maxwell's we left feeling very neglected and not getting the service we believed should have accompanied the $102.00 bill we paid.

13  Thank LMA942
Reviewed February 12, 2008

Went for brunch. The service was terrible. The food was overpriced. Nothing original and the food not all that great for standard brunch fare. Management was rude to their staff and at times to the customers. Will not return.

15  Thank tobizzm
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Lakewood, Colorado, USA
Reviewed December 24, 2007

Been here for multiple receptions, always a good time, the waitstaff is very courteous and food is well prepared. Small dance floor is available

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook