“Come and judge for yourself.” 4 of 5 bubbles

swan inn
Ranked #196 of 566 Restaurants in Worcester
Cuisines: British
Droitwich, United Kingdom
“Come and judge for yourself.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I drive past this pub at least twice a week but do not go in. Several years ago I had an acceptable but not memorable lunch there. The Swan has recently been closed for refurbishment and it reopened on 3rd December. I had planned to visit it sometime in the near future to see what it was like now. However, a friend went there on the night it opened and was full of praises. I went to see the place for myself last Sunday at lunchtime.

The Swan was decorated for Christmas and was jolly, warm and cosy. We arrived at 12.30 and the pub filled up rapidly and the atmosphere was cheerful. I do not eat meat but found enough non meat options to manage. My partner ate salmon and said it was cooked to his liking. The service was fine and the young staff were enthusiastic.

There was a mix of families and couples for Sunday lunch which was lovely. On this occasion the small people were very well behaved and caused no problems. No complaints there.

I liked :-

The free nachos and dip which arrived with the drinks

The corner which displayed and sold gifts such as mugs, trays, beer and glasses. This may not make much money but looked good and gave added value.

The fact there were healthy options clearly marked on the menu.

When I asked for a starter as a main course they gave me extra salad at no extra cost. Very thoughtful

The blueberry ice cream

What I did not like:-

The plant pot filled with sand and cigarette butts on the path by the entrance. Disgusting.

Where we sat the lighting was so bad I could not read the menu. There is very little natural daylight in this pub. Lighting is provided by overhead spotlights. There was no overhead spotlight near our table and no window nearby. I have never been in a situation where I could not read the menu before.

The rotisserie in full view. As a vegetarian I do not want to see dead birds on a skewer. I realise I am in the minority and most people would not find it offensive. Fortunately there was no smell coming from the rotisserie and I was able to sit with my back to it and could ignore it for the most part.

I would not go out of my way to come here again because there are other places I prefer. However, this pub is well run. The management are trying hard. If you eat meat and want to eat in a well run pub I would certainly suggest you give The Swan a go. The pub deserves to succeed

• Visited December 2012