“What's with all of the bad reviews?!”

Shuckers World Famous Raw Bar
Ranked #11 of 14 Restaurants in Woods Hole
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: The Woosh Trolley from Falmouth.
Reviewed August 18, 2011

My family and I were so skeptical to visit Shuckers for dinner on our visit to the Falmouth area. The reviews are awful...we were so glad that we ended up going though to see for ourselves how good it actually is. Maybe our expectations were set low so it was easy to please? I don't know. I was actually feeling sick on arriving to Woods Hole and didn't think I was going to be able to stay for dinner. We were seated on the deck out back, which was nothing fancy, but it was the typical casual Cape scene with picnic tables and a view of the water. I told our waitress that I wasn't feeling well and we would need to order my husband's food to-go while the rest of our party would stay. Within 5-10 minutes his food was delivered (with a smile). The waitress was very accomodating. Fortunately, I began feeling better and stayed for the remainder of the meal. Some in our party ordered the lobster dinner, which included mussels, clams, coleslaw, and corn on the cob. My husband ordered the lobster roll. Everyone RAVED about their meals. Near the end of the meal, I was feeling a bit better and ordered the lobster bisque. It was "okay", definitely not the best I've ever had, but certainly good. As we were leaving there was a very talented guitar player beginning and the bar area was filling up. It seemed like a great place to "chill."

The next day, a member of our family returned for lunch with her family and said the service was, unbelievably, even better than the night before. She raved about her friendly waitress.

All in all, it was a delightful experience and if we should find ourselves in Woods Hole again, we would not hesitate to head there for a reasonably priced, very casual, meal.

1  Thank QueenieLR

Reviewed August 18, 2011

I went with friends and family and I had a very good experience dining by the water. The food was really good especially for the price. Most other places in the area are much more expensive for seafood. It has a very low key, enjoyable atmosphere right on the water.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We dined here several days ago. The marina views at sunset are great and the New England casmbake special on Fridays, 19.95, was a good deal and a good meal-tho not quite as good as the one we had in Truro at Moby Dick's. (Lobster roll special on Thursdays) If you can park in the small municiapl parking lot near the ferry after 6pm when parking is free.

Reviewed August 9, 2011

Only ate there because we were walking around Woods Hole waiting for Ferry. Normally check TripAdvisor reviews before we try a place. Too bad we didn't do that this time. We ordered cocktails and appetizers. Ben, the server, was a college kid and very nice and friendly. When he brought us water, it was in a 4 ounce plastic glass. We normally drink a lot of water during our meals and asked for a larger glass like they were serving for soft drinks. Ben said he would get into trouble with the boss if he did and offered to refill our glasses as often as we requested. That was nice of Ben, but we were having to ask every couple of minutes, which was a nuisance, so finally we requested to speak to the manager. Kevin, the owner / manager, came over.

We explained we would like to have larger water glasses and why. We pointed out that it wasn't from a cheap standpoint. That we had already spent $60.00 on cocktails, appetizers and a bottle of wine and was ready to order dinner. He outright flat refused and said he does not even do that for his regular customers. When we said we would leave the restaurant and have our main meal elsewhere, his attitude was...so do it.

We find it hard to believe that he has regular customers considering our appetizers were not the best and because of his anti-customer attitude. We will never patronize a business that does not show that they appreciate our business or refuses to comply with a simple request that would make our experience more enjoyable.

So we asked Ben for the check, paid it, even left an almost full bottle of wine. Then found Quicks Hole; only a short walk away and had a FANTASTIC rest of our meal with a pitcher of beer and LARGE GLASSES OF WATER.

It may sound picky, but when you spend this type of money, the customer should be able to get what they want. Kevin, I hope that everyone reads this and boycotts your restaurant. Customers should be appreciated and start at the top, that means YOU.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

Like most, my husband and I chose this restaurant for the great views and the opportunity to sit right on the water. But don't let the views deceive you; without question, this was the worst dining experience I have ever had.

Despite being one of only three tables in the restaurant and five teenage staff members hanging out gossiping at the front door, it took 25 minutes -- and a request for a server -- for someone to take a drink order. While the server was friendly, she was not great. I ordered the lobster boil -- what they consider themselves to be experts in. My dinner arrived without a lobster cracker because the waitress didn't seem to know that I needed one. When she came back with it, I asked for a lesson on how to eat lobster and she shrugged her shoulders and said she didn't know either. The food was ok, but nothing special, and certainly not worth the $75 bill for the two of us.

As we were finishing our meal, the server asked if she could cash us out because her shift was over. When I asked for more wetnaps, she forgot them and only brought the bill.

Overall, the worst dining experience I have ever had and certainly a tarnish on our trip to the Cape.