“Great options, dining in or outside”

Captain Kidd Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 14 Restaurants in Woods Hole
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Captain Kidd Restaurant and Bar has a menu the presents American Seafood and Grille as well as the freshest raw bar in town.
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Captain Kidd has a wide range of seating options - both inside and out. We ate out on the extended deck, on the water at dusk, enjoying the views and quiet atmosphere. There's also deck seating closer to the interior that looks comfortable. Inside, there are several different seating areas, and the interior design is spacious - maybe a little loud.

The food is very good - the menu has an interesting selection of appetizers that look great for sharing with a group, or as a small dish - including ribs and BBQ chicken. There are classic entrees such as fish and chips (my choice, done perfectly,with yummy fries). I'd also recommend the kale salad. I had a Collins cocktail with basil and lemon, great for a summer evening.

Finally, although I didn't have dessert, there appear to be good options: blueberry cobbler, strawberry-rhubarb shortcake & key lime pie, among others.

Overall, I'd definitely return to Captain Kidd - there's definitely a lot to enjoy both inside, and out, and on the menu.

1  Thank Desiree Z

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I stopped by for a drink with friends. My friends were already seated with drinks so I went to the bar to order. The bartender looked me in the eye at least 3 times before he finally asked me what I wanted (he served 2 people who came in after me). I finally walked to the other side of the bar to get served by a friendlier person.

I stopped by the next day, again to meet friends. We were given menus and then 10 minutes later a waiter came by to let us know that a few items on the menu were not available. We waited for about 30 minutes for them to return for our order. When we finally got their attention (literally walking up to the waitstaff) we were told the kitchen had closed 5 minutes ago. Woods Hole is a small place with few options so you may find yourself here but be prepared for spotty if not rude service.

4  Thank Cristina B
Judy L, Public Relations Manager at Captain Kidd Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Hello Cristina,

I am sorry your recent experience at the Captain Kidd was not satisfactory. I do hope you will come back and give us another try. Please contact Rob, the manager, (508) 548-8563, in advance of your next visit to make sure your next experience is a good one.

Thank you.

Judy L.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Service was very slow. Calamari was mostly fried peppers...not much calamari. Quahog fritters were not that tasty and very greasy. Onion rings looked good at first when brought out in a big bucket, but in there was a lot of batter, not much onion. Worst of all, everything we ordered came out cold.

1  Thank Aliandnima
Judy L, Public Relations Manager at Captain Kidd Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

We are sorry that you did not have a good experience. We hope you will come back and try again and if you do, please be sure to ask for Rob - the manager. He will make sure your next dining experience is a good one.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

If you’re looking for a fun place to enjoy a great meal and cocktail when you are in Falmouth/Woods Hole, make sure you stop at the Captain Kidd. The atmosphere is great for intimate dinners or small parties and features multiple indoor/outdoor dining areas overlooking Eel Pond Harbor.
The staff was warm and friendly and the menu offers an array of Cape Cod favorites with a twist.
I had the blackberry margarita, garlic shrimp with country bread (a must to dip in the delicious garlic sauce), and oysters from the raw bar (that came with 3 different sauces). All in all, this was a truly unique Cape Cod dining experience, and I can’t wait to go back.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I had been to this restaurant before but hadn't thought to write up a review until my most recent trip. They have undergone a complete renovation and the place looks fantastic - light, bright and fresh. We sat out on the finger pier over the water, this is such a unique place to sit. The night we visited there was a live band, I think they list live entertainment nights on the Captain Kidd website, but it was fun to watch while we waited for our meals. I had the lobster salad for dinner, and expected lobster on top of some lettuce, but much to my surprise it was more similar to a tomato and mozzarella salad with huge chunks of lobster and croutons. It was fantastic. We had a few appetizers at the table and mixed drinks that were all great - the server was very friendly and knew just when to follow up with our meal. I would definitely recommend checking out this restaurant if you're in the area - even if just for a cocktail in the bar area next to the restaurant.

2  Thank 27coolbeans