“Something good has happened at the Phusion”
Review of Phusion Grille - CLOSED

Phusion Grille
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 3, 2008

Dinner July 3, 2008 was terrific for four of us. The muscles were the best we have had. The tuna tartar perfectly blended with herbs, the portabella mushroom just the right sweetness on a pastry. The service attentive unhurried. A great dinner out with the new executive chef Stewart Hirsch. At first we were wary but decided to give it a try after watching the Phusion's ups and downs. All 4 of us concluded that something good has happened here. This is our 23rd summer in Woods Hole but first try at the Phusion since it took over the Black Duck.

There are newer reviews for Phusion Grille

Reviewed July 2, 2008

We went into Woods Hole for my birthday to see the Pete and Mike Band at the Landfall Restaurant, and my wife was buying me dinner. We were five minutes too late to be served at the Landfall, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise as we were forced to look for another dining option. We wandered into Phusion, which I remembered from my years ago as a student in Woods Hole as far from fine dining, and asked if they were still serving. After thinking about it for a half a second (it was near 10pm), the bartender said "sure."

I won't embellish much as previous reviewers have already used enough adjectives, all appropriate, to describe the quality of the "Phine dining on the waterphront..." experience. I had one of the specials, a blackened swordfish, which was among the best tasting swordfish servings I've ever had. I started with lobster bisque, which was every bit as tasty, with perfect texture and CHUNKS of lobster. I had lobster bisque at a restaurants to remain nameless on Martha's Vineyard and another on the cape that, while tasty, were very thin and not worthy of a "bisque" title, and not containing chunks of lobster such as Phusions.

My wife dislikes seafood, so instead opted for a pear and gorgonzola cheese salad and a chicken dish that was also outstanding.

Both the fish and chicken were presented in an artsy fashion, with tasty substrates accompanying them. I forget exactly what they called mine, but it tasted and had the texture of good couscous. My wifes had a sweet potato taste, but not quite, and was described as a type of yam by the waitress.

Regardless of what they call it, the Phusion Grille is among the best restaurants anywhere on the cape, and should, I hope, be in business a long time so we can return on our yearly vacations.

Reviewed May 21, 2007

When my wife, Denise, and I are in the mood for a amazing meal we always head off to Phusion in Woods Hole. This place is the entire package, great and inventive food, creative wine list, amazingly friendly owner, knowledgable and professional wait staff, a supersonic Chief and the most beautiful, zen setting for a restaurant ever. It's right over the water ( I mean literally right over the water) on Woods Hole inner harbor next to a small drawbridge so you can watch the boats slip by and the houseboats bobbing at their moorings as you enjoy your fantastic meal. We stopped in last Saturday night. I had the Scallops dish and my wife had the Bouillabaisse. These are not your average Scallop and Bouillabaisse preparations, they were psychedelicly amazing. Do you get the feeling we kinda like this place.
John and Denise
Boston, Mass

Reviewed August 17, 2006

We spent a week on Cape Cod and three nights in Woods Hole and decided to try the menu at Phusion because it looked 'different'. Not your usual fried clams and fish and chips. We were very happy with our choice--one of the best meals I've ever had on the Cape. Of couse ambiance may have had something to do with it. We got a romantic table for two out on the deck on a perfect August evening--slight breeze, warm but not hot. The wait staff is very helpful and more than willing to make suggestions. If you get sick of beach fare and need something a little more grown up--definitely try Phusion.

Reviewed May 8, 2006

Not sure why this is listed as the #3 choice in Woods Hole... Unless Pie in the Sky is up there, it makes no sense at 3rd.

Phusion has the most impressive display of skill in their food. It's not cheap on first glance, but good bargains can be had. Excellent wine selection and apps. All worth the price. I will kind of scrunch up the nose at some of the entrees, but at least they are something new and not the regular ferryboat fare.

Good choice for a date, a dinner with the fam, or a dinner alone after spending too much time at one of the courses at the nearby MBL. Carol will treat you well, and you'll no doubt leave happy and well fed. Look for special nights and events. This is where the kitchen really gets to shine and show off.

Bottom line? Consistently excellent- not cheap eats, but with a little restraint and effort in perusing the menu, bargains are there.

-e.ting (eieo dot blogspot dot com)