“Always a Treat”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had two great meals this summer. Our first visit was at the beginning of the season and the next in July. Both meals were well prepared, artistically presented and the service was attentive and friendly. The seafood is always fesh and the sauces interesting. In July I had the Kahana Black ribs. They were very tender and flavorful. We have been dining at Phusion every summer since it opened.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This place seems to attract a lot of 5 star and 1 star reviews, so it's probably not for everyone, but it worked pretty well for us. Only table left outside was on the end near the noisy exhaust fan, which was annoying enough to downgrade this to a 4 star for us. Otherwise service was enthusiastic and caring. We probably shouldn't have followed the waitress's wine suggestions though: the Riesling was too sweet and another didn't do much for us either--we had better luck with our own picks. But probably a matter of taste.

We were very happy with our two entrees, the Red Snapper Rundown simmered in Lemongrass-Thai Curry Rundown Sauce, Pancetta and caramelized onion plantain mash, and the Mango-Pimento Butter Poached Lobster Tails with coconut-rice and peas. For some reason we ended up eating the plantain mash with the lobster and the rice with the snapper, but everything was well-cooked and tasty. The rundown sauce (which is a spicy Jamaican reduced- coconut base sauce for those who haven't encountered it before, as I hadn't) is pretty spicy, and there were a few chilis in there that knocked the wind out of me, so those with sensitive palates should consider milder options. The twin lobster tails were enormous and not overcooked. Though Phusion is often described as the priciest option in Woods Hole we found the prices to be about the same as the other three or four high end restaurants in town.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

It has taken me several days to sit down to write this because I am still so upset about the service we received at this restaurant. The hostess (who also as we fond out later is the manager) was rude when we first came in but we overlooked it because the menu looked interesting and the server was very nice. It was busy initially but we seemed to come in after it was dying down. There were 4 of us and it took 1 1/2 hours to get our food. We could see our waitress constantly checking the kitchen so we felt bad complaining. We did ask once if our food was on the way and was told it would be right out. 15 minutes later, we finally got our food but mine wa raw. By this point, I was just done and couldn't imagine waiting for it to be recooked. After the rest of the group finished their meals, one of the people in our party overheard the server asking the manager if she could do anything to compensate for the slow service and he heard her say no. So when the check was dropped at the table and nothing except the raw dinner was removed, he asked if he could speak to the manager. She did not apologize or seem empathetic at all. He was very nice and asked if there was anything she could do. She responded that they didnt charge us for my meal to which I replied, because it was raw and I sent it back. To that, she said, well we could have recooked it. He asked again if there was anything that she could do. She took the bill in a huff and went over to the register. One of my friends laughed at that point because I was just so upset. She shouted from the register "what is so funny." At this point, a fellow patron, who came in 1/2 hour later than us and received his party's food about 15 minutes before us, decided to loudly say how much he appreciated his meal and how he hopes that people understand that the restaurant was very busy and doing the best they could. It was just a complete joke at this point, we were having one of the worst dining experiences that we had ever had and we were meant to feel like the villains by other patrons. I don't know if we were treated this way because we were not from the area or if this is how everyone else is treated. Either way, I would almost take time off from my job to come down and stand outside this restaurant and tell everyone how bad it is.

3  Thank breen21
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We sort of fell backwards into the Phusion simply looking for a place to eat. They offer indoor and outdoor dining, which abuts the canal into Buzzards Bay. Actually, you can watch the tourists back up traffic when the drawbridge is operating.
The menu really wants to be good, yet in our opinion, there needs to be a few staple, ocean classics. Mainly it was a great meal, it just will seem like a lot when you're looking for a shrimp scampi or a fish taco. The lobster bisque was awesome without being too creamy. My wife's tofu was well prepared, and the accompanying vegetables and sauce really made the dish. They had some type of beer on tap that was really, really good. The waiter was not that informed, but said it was made by "a bunch of guys starting out". Regardless, it was a really decent IPA.
Anyway, we'd be back - the staff was nice and attentive. The bar, while small would seem like a great place for a pint or a pinot while your better half is out shopping. Plus, I like open kitchens.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The location of this restaurant is awesome but it ends there. The food was so overpriced! For about $30, I received 3 shrimps and 4 scallops! The service was also shoddy. The wine was simply placed in a bucket, without ice. They also charged us $10 for a plate of Kraft Dinner for my niece! Please avoid, there are better places nearby.

2  Thank e j