“Poor Service During Renovations”

Courtyard Boston Woburn/Burlington
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Woburn
Saratoga County, NY
“Poor Service During Renovations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I'm a Courtyard fan, and have stayed at this Courtyard two times before. However, this trip will be my last. The main problem is that this property is renovating their lobby and restaurant, and they decided to "hide" that fact from their customers. Knowing that reservations in this area can be hard to get at the last minute, especially at reasonable rates, I made my reservation here about two weeks ago. Then three days before my arrival, I get an e-mail announcing that their breakfast restaurant is closed due to the renovations.

When I complained about the short notice I was informed by the manager that there is an announcement on their web site. After some searching I did find the notice, right under the big photos of the lobby and restaurant that no longer exits, and just above the part of the web page that tells potential customers about their wonderful breakfast, including custom eggs, a service they do not provide during the renovation.

The hotel does have a "free" continental breakfast in a dingy room on the second floor, but there are few selections and some items are not properly refrigerated. Who thought this would be a reasonable substitute for the normal restaurant? Who decided to leave the old photos and descriptions on their web site so their customers would probably not find the notice about the renovations and lack of those pictured services until they had not other reasonable options? It's hard to believe these people are in the "hospitality" business. Next time I will choose another hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms have very noisy heating/AC units, so check the one in your room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Craig R, General Manager at Courtyard Boston Woburn/Burlington, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor communication you received regarding the renovations taking place and the changes taking place surrounding our breakfast at the time of your visit. Also, please pardon my delayed response to your review. While I am new to the property, it does not excuse the poor communication you experienced. Admittedly, changes to our website were not as timely as they should have been and misrepresented our offerings at the time. For this, I completely understand your frustration and I do apologize. Now that our renovation is complete and our website has been updated, I hope that you will give us another chance to provide the service you expect from Marriott. Please feel free to contact me directly to assist you with your reservation so that I can personally take care of you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Hebrew first
San Angelo, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We had to stay there for more than a week. During the hurricane sandy we informed from the manager that we might evacuate the place due to the lack of generators . The linens need some update especially the towels and the comforters . They did not have a VCR player and they give you a device to plug in when you ask them and a collection of old video movies. Personnel polite .it was a good choice because it is close to winchester hospital where I had a surgery, otherwise there are not so much to do in the hotel or around.

• Stayed October 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

our sixth stay in this Marriott . as always easy parking, fast checkin and out, spacious rooms, excellent beds and linen, fine bathroom, and a great breakfast, simple , but lots of choice and super friendly cook making great omelets , eggs any style.
the ladies behind the reception are welcoming, service minded and genuine.
price for Boston standards is unbeatable.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Its a Courtyard, if you are staying here its not because of the excellent restaurant (it doesn't have one), massive gym (its tiny and basic) its because its cheap and clean and the WiFi is free. The Pub next door is the evening option for food if you don't want to go out and they are well set up to take an order and have it ready in 15 minutes so its a minor walk.

Best about this place though is the staff. Every time I've stayed they've been friendly and welcoming and more than happy to help.

Its a good Courtyard and if you are working in Woburn its a straight forward choice.

Room Tip: There aren't really any 'rooms with a view' in the hotel but I'd recommend asking fo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lewiston, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is not a large hotel, no indoor pool. So if you are looking for large hotel with in-house restaurant and pool this is not for you. Very quaint, friendly staff, and easy to get to. On more than one occasion I observed staff walking patrons to locations when they were lost. Customer service goes a long way! The rooms were decent size but VERY clean (I always look for a clean hotel). The front desk staff was very helpful in suggesting places to eat. Only downfall is no free continental breakfast, but you can get a hot breakfast for about $11 per person. There is not a restaurant on-site, but a good beer pub/restaurant next door. Very close to the highway, easy to get to. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GolfersDS
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We needed a room for one night,as we were attending a concert in Boston.We decided to try Woburn this time. What a treat! The hotel had a New England charm,the rooms were good- sized and super clean. The bathroom was absolutely spotless.The front desk people were very nice. The hotel itself is set apart from the other areas of town,surrounded by large pine trees,and had gaslight type street lamps. Very quiet.
Great stay!

Room Tip: great location ambience
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
york, me
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were seeing the sights in Boston and decided to stay outside of the city. We got to the hotel before 12 noon. I did not know the check in time but our room was ready so we were able to get into our room. The room looks like the picture on the website. We asked for a fridge in the room. There is also a microwave in the room which we did use for leftovers from dinner. The sheets were soft, the pillows mushy (like all hotels). The room was clean except for one thing. After being in the room for about an hour I used the bathroom. I noticed on the floor under the shower curtain a few hairs. My family used the bathroom before me and they did not notice it. You had to move the shower curtain to see it. I don't think it was my family's hair. I can understand how this was missed since it was under the shower curtain. There was also one hair in the shower. The days following the room was cleaned to my satisfaction. This hotel has mostly business travelers. It was absolutely quiet during the day and the overnight hours. We heard a couple of doors close and a couple of people talking in the hallway and that was it. There was a nice living room with a computer and games. In the lobby by the front desk was a cooler of ice water with lemon/oranges slices, lemon-aid packets, and a bowl of apples. The ice water was very refreshing after walking the warm streets of Boston. The cooler was there all the time. The pool was nice and refreshing also. The had a small restaurant but chose not to eat there. They had a continental breakfast but at a $9 charge. Overall it was a good stay.

Room Tip: My room was on the second floor over the restaurant looking out onto the pool/patio area. This was v...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family