“I really want to give them 3 stars....”

Best Western Plus New Englander
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Woburn
Norwich, Vermont
“I really want to give them 3 stars....”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was a quick, overnight stay on our way to a college visit in Boston. Overall, the hotel was clean, did not seem outdated and the staff professional and friendly. I gave this rating for the following reasons: 1) we had trouble with the door handle/lock getting into our room. Took us a while to get in. We didn't report it immediately, as it was late and we just wanted to get in and get to bed. We were leaving early the next morning. 2) Discovered later that evening our toilet did not flush. My husband tinkered with it to get it going (did not last) for again, it was late (2am) and did not want to deal with this at that late an hour. 3) Woke up at 5am to shower and leave, only to discover our bath towels had red paint/marker stains on them. I went to the front desk to report it and it was quickly resolved, until my son went to shower and noticed his new towel had blue stains. All of this was reported at checkout and the front desk attendant was professional and responsive. Aside from these minor, but multiple issues, I think this would be a good value. It's conveniently located off of I-93 and served my purpose well. I used travel points for this stay. If I had paid for this, I would have been really upset and made a bigger issue. I regularly stay at BW and this is my first encounter like this. I'd like to possibly give them another chance as I will need to return to Boston soon and I hope they can change my first impression.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Neen813
Adina P, General Manager at Best Western Plus New Englander, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Neen813,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review about your recent stay at our property.

Please accept my apologies for not being able to fully meet your expectations. Here at Best Western we take the feedback to heart and working on improving. I will personally follow up with my staff and address these issues. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it helps us make improvements so that this kind of issues will not happen again.

Feel free to contact me directly next time you are in the area and I will personally manage your reservation. We hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards.
Adina.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Newfoundland Canada
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

PROS: Staff are very good. Good location to Boston if you don't want to pay the downtown prices. MBTA close by. AC worked well during extremely hot days. Waxy O'Connors attached has great food, great service. Pool area very nice.
CONS: needs flat screen TVs in rooms, soap not replenished each day, mattress pad kept coming off until replaced on our last night, lobby furniture tired and stained, breakfast area too small, accessing outside phone lines very problematic, wifi didn't work well. We have stayed at many BWs and this one is a stretch as a PLUS.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Grapplegrommett,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review about your recent stay with our property.
Please accept my apologies for not being able to fully meet your expectations; I will personally follow up with the appropriate departments and take the necessary corrective actions. Just on a quick note, we have upgraded all of our guests rooms with flat screen televisions recently.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with excellent service.
Feel free to contact me directly should you need additional assistance.

Again, thank you for your time.

Sincerely.
Adina
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Our hotel room, of the above-mentioned hotel was UNUSABLE. The humidity level in the room was so high, that our clothes, as well as everything else in the room, were damp. It was so humid that the bathroom floor is slick with a film of water. This film of water has caused my fiancee to, in the middle of the night, fall twice. We were unable to sleep in this room. When we complained to the front desk, they showed us another room on another floor. This room was just as humid. Although there are air conditioners, the high water content in the air caused freezing temperatures. We have found that the reason that the rooms are so humid is that the bathroom fans do not work. IN THE WHOLE BUILDING!!! This is ridiculous and very possibly a health code violation. When we complained after our first night, we were told that there was nothing the (very nice and courteous) desk staff could do, as the manager had to be there to authorize all refunds. We waited for a call for 24 hours. The manager who was supposed to be in Saturday night did not show up. An offer of 59$ off that we were given was insulting at best. We would not even have stayed there if we could have cancelled our room reservation. BUT, the manager had to be here to do that. The fact that this is a major chain on a busy weekend and that there is NO MANAGER, as well as no one with any authority here is deplorable. I could walk into any store or restaurant at any time and find a manager, or at least someone who has authority. We were stuck here, in this awful hotel, until a manger bothered to show up. We left and went elsewhere, regardless. To their credit, we were refunded our stay in full. The on- site staff was excellent and the hotel was conveniently located. I suggest you go a bit out of your way, though, and stay somewhere that does not have the potential to ruin your trip!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan L
Adina P, General Manager at Best Western Plus New Englander, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Susan L.,

I am truly sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations and we are taking your feedback to heart. The humidity issue has been already addressed; we have installed brand new motors on our roof to insure proper ventilation in our guest bathrooms and all of our bathroom fans are now operational.

I have sent you a private e-mail as well. Again, I apologize for not being able to meet your needs and I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can provide you with excellent service.

Do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Adina.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I was unhappy with my stay. The cleanliness of the room did not meet previous stays at BW. The mattress was uncomfortable, the bathtub appeared unclean. Outside of the side entrance was covered in trash and cigarette butts. In addition, we went to get breakfast, and the dining area was 74 degrees and uncomfortable. I took my breakfast to my car, ate it there, and left.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Lori M
Adina P, General Manager at Best Western Plus New Englander, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Lori M.,

Thank you for submitting your review regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. Your concerns will be properly addressed with the appropriate departments.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Adina P.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We used 20,000 BW points to stay in this hotel. Our room on the 4th floor was clean and everything worked.
The complimentary hot breakfast was good.
The locatrion was conceninet for visiting freinds in Wenham and Reading. The close-by Burlington Mall is large.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Harmony, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Staff were very helpful, and appeared hard-working. The facility is very tired, old , and not at all attractive. The decor is worn, 1970's styled, burnt orange and kelly green. Strange columns make the lobby an obstacle course. Carpets in rooms were worn and old; bed mattresses appeared newer, but furniture was old. Several folks complained of non-functioning heat-A/C units. Out TV never worked. Luggage trolleys were filthy and stained with road grime. Free 'continental' breakfast...well, you get what you pay for. This place really requires a major face lift.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank zhenjiu
Madawaska, Maine
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed here for the first time. First impressions: staff are friendly, lobby is really nice, and breakfast was great. We stayed on the first floor and found the room in need of a little maintenance. Shower had a constant drip and could not be completely shut off, window frame was falling apart, and carpeting was due for a yearly steam cleaning. Beds overall were comfortable but pillows were laughably way too small. Keep in mind there is a pub next door and parking overflows into the hotel parking area in the roadway. If you want a good nights sleep on the weekend and don't want to be woken up by loud harleys and squeeling tires at 2AM, this may not be the place for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business