“Great Experience - Excellent Value”

Best Western Plus New Englander
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Woburn
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Great Experience - Excellent Value”
Reviewed October 13, 2007

Overall great experience at this hotel. Was a little worried initially with the reviews, but ended up being perfect for our 5-day, 4-night visit to Boston. Good value at $100/night compared to much more expensive hotels in the general area at $200+/night. Has everything you need at a reasonable rate.

-Staff was friendly and helpful
-Room and facillities were very clean and well maintained
-Continental breakfast was good - best part was the hot waffle maker
-Free hi-speed internet in rooms and in lobby
-Microwave, coffee maker, mini-fridge, blow-dryer, iron and safe in our room
-Free parking with lots of spaces

In terms of transportation and getting into the city of Boston. We drove about 15 minutes (20-25 in rush-hour traffic) each day to the Wellington T station and parked there. If you get there early enough there is $3.50 all-day parking. We usually arrived a little later than the commuters on weekdays and parked at another lot, right beside the MTBA parking for a $5.00 flat-rate.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ag01af

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
NYC
Reviewed September 17, 2007

Good: Absolutely nice experience. Very clean rooms, shiny bathrooms, snow - white towels. Staff is very responsive. We had a broken lock in our room. Immediately a janitor came, inspected our lock, and we were given another room in a matter of minutes. Even though it was freezing cold outside, our room was pleasantly warm. There was a built in A/C in the room, a cofeemaker, and a refrigirator. There was also a personal safe in both rooms for 1.50 a day. (and you can have that waived at checkout). Reasonably large safe. My 15" inch notebook fit in there. Bathroom looked brand new. There was an iron, ironing board, hair fan. All new.
Location is great. There is a Donkin Donuts, a McDonalds, a Grill Restaurant, and a Pub all around the intersection. There is also a Gas Station with a Deli right outside the hotel.
It took us 11 minutes to drive down to the Boston Aquarium, and 14 minutes to drive to the Harvard University. At $100 per night, you can't beat that. Also, the Oak Grove Train Station on the orange line, is 10 minutes away. Leave your car there for $3.50 per day, and continue on the subway to see Boston's downtown attractions. Train ride from Oak Grove to the Boston Downton is about 15 minutes or less.

Bad: The Spuds, is the name of the pub outside. It also serves the room service requests. My advice: Buy your food somewhere else. The bar there is filled with locals watching sport games. For a decent lounge experience head down to Boston, or Cambrige areas. Check out little streets surrounding Harvard University, Harvard Square, etc...

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank SergeyNYC
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed July 12, 2007

This was the worst hotel stay I have ever had. We found a wasp in our room the first night. After calling the front desk and alerting them to the problem we were informed that when the engineer got back from his break they would send him up. After 20 minutes I called again and since we had lost track of the wasp I was told that if it ended up being a nuisance, that they would send someone up but since we weren't sure where in the room it was they weren't sending anyone. We left for dinner and came back, still unable to find the wasp, the desk was unwilling to send someone. I went down and to the desk in person and told them about a family history of severe allergic reaction to bee stings and was told again they couldn't send someone so I requested a new room since I didn't want to risk my children if they weren't going to help us with that problem. We were given a new room and on the second night the bathroom door was accidentally locked by one of my children from the inside and then the door was closed when my child returned to bed with the door still being locked. I found I could not open the door to the bathroom when I got up at 11pm, so I went to the front desk and explained the situation. There were two people at the front desk at that time, one gentleman that had been working at the front desk the other times I had been down there and one that I was lead to believe was one of the engineers. The "engineer" handed me something that looked like an Allen wrench and claimed it would open the door and to just return it when I was done, he wasn't even willing to come up because it was the end of his shift and he was going home. It failed to get the door open, so I went down and got the two smaller sizes which also did nothing. I had been trying this for about 45 minutes at this point and actually had to use a bottle since I really had to go. I went back to the front desk and at this point the Front Desk person I had been dealing with was about to leave and I dealt with the overnight Front Desk person. He gave me the original Allen wrench back, which I tried once more and still couldn't get to work. When I went back down and said nothing was getting the door open, he told me that it wasn't a problem and to just wait until 7am and they would have someone from their staff that could open the door for me. I ended up paying a locksmith $125 to open a door that he then showed me that the lock had a feature that it was supposed to unlock automatically if locked from the inside and then closed. I gave a copy of the work order from the locksmith to the night Front Desk employee for the manager so I could get reimbursed for having to pay the locksmith myself. When I was finally able to talk to the manager on Thursday the 12th, two days before I was supposed to check out, he informed me that I was rude to his employees and that he would not reimburse me. I tried to explain to him everything that had happened and he refused to listen to me. I walked away because I was getting very upset at this point and went back to talk to him again later. He finally decided he would listen to me, and said he didn't realize I had spoken to three people about the problems. He said he would talk to all three of the people again and then talk to the hotel owner and maybe I would get reimbursed because he can't authorize it himself. I informed him I was checking out early because I had been having such a horrible stay there and he told me I needed to call Hotels.com because I had prepayed through them. When I talked to them, they said they called the manager of the hotel and he refused to refund the last two nights costs because we were leaving early, even though we were leaving because of the hotel. So pretty much, I lost about $300 because of this stay for two nights and a locksmith, plus cut my vacation two days short. I will never stay in another Best Western as long as I live because of this.

• Liked — When I left early
  • Disliked — See my review
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Number6Buffalo
cambridge
Reviewed June 10, 2007

stay away from this hotel at all costs. i booked a two night stay at this hotel and everything that could go wrong did.
1. we did not get the number of beds/the type of room we reserved.
2. our rooms were assigned to multiple people.
3. after one night of stay, we returned to find another family in our room. not only had all of our personal belongings been thrown out, but they apparently had placed us in the wrong initial room to begin with and had double booked.
4. and best of all, because i booked through another agent, they are not only not giving us damage fees, but are not even refunding the room.
5. the customer service is lacking and their manager amit is no where to be found if you try to contact him.
moral of the story: STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL AND TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank fliu
Taupo, New Zealand
Reviewed May 23, 2007

When we arrived, we were first a little bit surprised, because of the rebuilding of the Lobby and the noises. But it wasn't that bad, the staff was very friendly and gave us the choice, where to get our room. There was also the Internet-PC near the reception, free.The room on the 4th floor was very nice, everything clean and not too small. There was everything we expeted, perhaps a little bit more: TV (with many programs), a microwave and a little refridgerator (look at the photos), wire(less) LAN and the bathroom has got everything you needed. The rooms were cleaned every day (!), beds were also made and everything was cleaned up.
Next to the hotel was a nice restaurant, on the other side there was another restaurant and a McDonalds (24 hours open). Just 200 meters away there was a service station and a Dunkin' Donuts.
The noise of the street wasn't that bad and you could sleep very well (when the AC was turned off (very loud)).
The breakfast tasted also very good (and it was confidential) and you could go there as often as you want to go.
One contra point: You can't open the window.

I am very satisfied and would go there (it's also cheap) again!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Apfelhut
Ma
Reviewed May 15, 2007

After reading some of the reviews on this hotel I was nervous about staying there. We had a great time! The pool was clean and heated well. 3 pillows on each bed, upscale amenities in the room including free wired high speed internet access. The hotel is undergoing renovations but that did not trouble us at all, our room was quiet and I slept like a rock both nights. I will be staying with this hotel again, staff was wonderful too and gave me free passes to the zoo. You can use the pass at either stone zoo or franklin park zoo. Do the later, stone zoo is just so small.

• Liked — indoor pool
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank terrellsmomma
Texas
Reviewed October 21, 2006

I booked two rooms at this hotel and had problems with both rooms. My friends had a problem opening the door in the first room and were told to pull the handle up instead of down. That still didn't work. They were able to get in the room each time after numerous tries. When they returned to the room after dinner, the bathroom had a terrible smell like sewage. They called the front desk and eventually someone came up and opened the window to air out the room. What was scarey is that he had a difficult time opening the window because it was sealed. They had to sleep with the window cracked all night and it was mid-October!

The second room (next door) that I was in was better, but the furnace made noise all night long and it never really warmed up. I had a difficult time sleeping with the furnace banging all night and the neighbors next door listening to the tv very loudly. The walls are paper thin.

The location was excellent and not far from Logan Airport and a shopping mall and restaurants. The staff was nice enough, but the rooms left a lot to be desired. I booked the rooms through Hotels.com and they were excellent in working with me to cancel the second night I had already reserved.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The rooms - noise, smell, etc.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends