“Nice Bargain with a few bumps in the road”

Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Woburn
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Woburn
Marietta, Georgia
“Nice Bargain with a few bumps in the road”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2007

Just stayed at the Red Roof in Woburn over the weekend (checked out this AM). Chose to stay here due to the hotel being the ONLY one in the area that had both good reviews and was affordable for the 4 night holiday weekend (final price was under $500). The location is excellent as well. Its right next to the Interstate 95 (Rte. 128)/Interstate 93 intersection, and a 1 minute drive down the road from Logan Express/Commuter Rail into Boston. Can't get much more convenient than that.

The hotel itself was nice for its level. Its evident that it has been renovated recently, but its surprising to know it has been over a year since, as the hotel has been kept in great condition. In other words, you'd think it has been a few months since the renovation.

Check-in and check-out were both quick and painless. No problems at all.

The rooms were decent. The bed was a little lower to the floor than some would like, but it was comfortable enough. Our room had a mini-fridge and a microwave, so those were unexpected perks. The TV offered basic channels (Discovery, Weather, local stations, CNN, etc), plus HBO. I must say that the room was extremely clean, as was the entire hotel! No complaints about that, at all.
The room has the web-tv that a lot of hotels have these days, but they do charge per day for use. They also charge for wireless, but we decided not to get it and just went to the Panera across the street when we needed internet access. There was an adequate desk area in the room though, so its obvious the hotel caters to more of a business traveler.

The hotel also offers a few perks here and there: free weekday newspaper (USA Today), free coffee/coffe drinks/juice available 24/7 in the lobby, plenty of free parking, and free 'breakfast bags' (honestly not sure what these are, as we never got one). The hotel also offers free fresh-baked cookies, but their availability was spotty (we only saw them once during our stay). We didn't use the pool at all, but did take a look. Its a typical hotel pool with enough chlorine in it to promptly kill a small animal. The area around the pool seemed to be well kept with numerous chairs available.

There's no eatery (or even a snack machine to be seen) in the hotel, but there's an On The Boarder (Tex-Mex fare, also good for a late-night drink as the bar always has a good crowd) and Bertucci's (italian/pizza) right next store (share a parking lot with the hotel). The aformentioned Panera is in a small mall across the street, along with an Uno's Grill and a McDonald's. A quick walk/drive down the steet will bring you to a Joe's American Pub, 99 Restaurant, and a T.G.I. Friday's is further up the road. There's also a few sub shops and a Starbucks within driving distance as well. So, needless to say, options are plentiful.

Now, for the bad. There aren't many items, but some are kind of important:
- Friendliness of service was spotty. Sometimes we were greeted with a smile (all we really ask for) and other times we were barely acknowledged.
- Only 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels, and once facecloth in the room. A call down to the front desk one evening for extra towels was met with the answer, "We don't have any clean towels available right now." I'd say this is probably the #1 request hotel guests have, so to not be able to fulfill it is quite surprising.
- There's no hairdryer in the bathroom. They do have a limited number down at the desk, but if you call and ask, they will tell you to go down and get it.
- Our microwave stopped working at one point. In their defense, this was remedied promptly.
- Pillows on the bed were alright, but they have nothing firm, only soft pillows.
- Keys are a fob-like, key shaped device instead of the more modern keycards. Nothing wrong with that, but they get to be a pain to carry around.
- The location, while convenient, isn't very scenic. Large windows just reveal more buildings, parking lots, or trees.
- I almost slipped on a newly mopped, yet unmarked, floor in the lobby. Another guest had the same experience. The woman mopping the floor saw both of us almost take a spill, yet did nothing to mark off the area.

I went back-and-forth between neutral and above average for this hotel. I decided on above average, mainly because there was nothing wrong with the hotel. There were just a few things that could have been better. But for the value and cleanliness (two of my most important differentiators), I think this hotel is a great choice.

• Liked — Cleanliness, value
  • Disliked — Middle-of-the-road service/perks
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BoSox0407

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2007

Booked a 3-night stay. Got there in the middle of the night with a crying child. Got sent to a room which was not made up, but then got another one which was. The next day, someone was sent up to our room with a key! Then the room wasn't made up again.
But, when I told the manager all this, she immediately said they wouldn't charge us for those two nights!
Breakfast is a bit slim, but overall the room was OK and the hotel was pretty clean.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank ranstern
Ft. Lauderdale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2006

This hotel is nothing fancy, but it is clean and well run. We stayed for four nights. We had adjoining rooms which was very nice for our family. It was quiet compared to higher priced hotels we've stayed.
My favorite part of this hotel was the location. One block away was route I95. About a half mile in the other direction was route I93. These are the two main highways. It was very easy driving into Boston or around the burbs. There is also a comuter rail station a half mile away which takes you right into Boston in about 24 minutes. It even runs at night, late enough to see the ninth inning at Fenway!!!

It was a very good value for the price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No frills.... beds, towels very basic.
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you check at front desk for delicious cookies in the afternoon and evening.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank pamelli98
New England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2006

Boston was FULL this week from all the conferences going on. Woburn was the closest town to Boston in which I could find a hotel room.
Making the res by phone was pleasant, though the woman didn't know a lot about the hotel. The staff didn't know a lot about the hotel either - what time the breakfast was over, whether or not I would be charged for my calling card call, etc.
The room was nice, had a king bed. Very quiet. The redecoration was pleasant, made it seem less like a hotel room.
You know, when they said internet availability, I assumed free Wi-Fi, but it was $10 a day to use their webTV. If I wanted wireless, I was invited to go to the Panera Bread across the street.
The room was nice and cool during the beastly heat wave, though the lobby was not.
Overall, very serviceable, though I like a little more warmth from the staff, so, yes, I'd stay there again, but only if I couldn't find something better.

• Liked — The Mexican restaurant next door.
  • Disliked — The jerky elevator.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank PowerPhoebe
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2006

We just arrived home after a trip to Boston/Cape Cod.
Stayed at Red Roof Inn in Woburn. Initially I was not too thrilled
with the location...across from large strip mall, BUT
the mall is walkable for last minute forgotten items and
the hotel is next to an Italian and a Mexican restaurant that
you can walk thru parking lot to get to.
The pool is great as were the friendly people working at the hotel.
All of the above are necessary when tired or traveling with kids, so have re-evaluated my initial impression.
The hotel is your basic hotel and I would go back.
We did not want to stay in the city due to parking congestion and price. The train, $14 round-trip for a family up to 5, is about 3 minutes away..make a right out of hotel driveway and turn left
at second light. Parking was $2, plus you can get a cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts/doughnut right there at train station.
Boston was about a 20 minute ride away and kids enjoyed the ride.

Stayed June 2006
4 Thank bringtoothbrush
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2006

I had a newly renovated room. It was great. Big, clean, new. The staff was great. A couple of days I didn't want cleaning service since I was working in the room, and I left the "privacy please" sign on the door. They did not disturb me, and left plastic bags full of fresh towels outside my door. (I'm used to having to ask . . ) Both restaurants directly beside the hotel are great! I especially liked the mexican one. Very close proximity to the highway. Unrelated to the hotel - a word of advice - if you are going to be driving in and around Boston, save yourself from a lot of pain/frustration by getting a GPS system. (I don't know if u can get a rental car with it, or perhaps buy a portable one . . . just trust me. It's an old city ... . .I've never been so lost in my life)

Hotel workeed out great!!!

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Rafael de Escazu, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2006

I have no problem giving this hotel an excellent rating for its cleanliness and great staff.

Check in was easy, the staff was friendly and able to answer all our questions and help us get to and from the downtown area.

The train station to downtown Boston is only about a mile away and easy to get to.

There are lots of great restaurants, a convenience/drug store and a few shops within walking distance.

Part of the hotel was still under renovation while we were there and we were lucky to get a newly renovated room. It was great.

• Stayed October 2005