“Needs a good cleaning”

Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Woburn
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Woburn
Reviewed July 23, 2009

The renovation of this motel was nice. The bathroom was spectacular, and the paint on the wall and wall hangings were attractive.

The location was excellent, between I-93 and I-95 and about a mile from the Boston commuter train station (which I took advantage of.)

Unfortunately, the renovation did not go far enough, and the room itself was dirty. When I pulled back the sheets I found hairs, dead bugs, and debris. I pulled them off and shook them out. Nothing seemed alive, so I braved the night and had no problems. The mattresses themselves were worn and stained. I also found pet food, a wheel from a toy truck, and other crumbs on the floor between the beds, indicating a bad vacuuming and cleaning job in general.

My room faced the road, and I awoke at 5 AM one rainy morning to what sounded like jet airplanes flying past. I looked out the window and realized it was just cars and trucks on the road - talk about bad soundproofing! The air conditioner was also old and noisy.

I've stayed at cleaner, nicer Red Roof Inns, and I'd suggest finding somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank LovePgh

Reviewed June 28, 2009

Decent priced, within 15 minutes from Boston, within 20 minutes of Logan Airport, indoor pool but best of all...No Pet Fee! The room smelled nasty and one of the "secure" doors didn't even close all the way so that it could latch. They rent the indoor pool out to locals so forget using the pool. We heard people ALL night slamming doors and being loud...didn't help that I had to be up at 3 am to catch flight!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2008

This past summer, a friend and I visited Massachusetts together, and we had reserved a standard room for two nights at this particular Red Roof Inn in Woburn (pronounce Woobin!). All in all, it was a satisfactory experience.

Our main reason for the trip was to visit Boston for a day. Being in Maine, we decided to take the Downeaster train to one of its stops that was relatively close to Boston. We settled on Woburn, since there is also commuter rail service into Boston (super easy). Once we hit this small town, we were on foot the rest of the way. After speaking with a man in one of the toll booths upon arriving in Woburn, we were pointed in the direction of the hotel. The hotel was about a 15-minute walk from where we were, but it was literally a straight shot. If you don't drive or are without a car, I would totally recommend doing this, in the summer of course. It was a bit of a walk, but it was easy to find. Look for a red roof!

We were tired by the time we actually got to the hotel, so waiting in the long line to check in at the front desk wasn't fun, but you really can't blame Red Roof for that. The room, with two double beds, was clean. I was also impressed at how updated it looked. Vibrant colors, and decent furniture. There was ample space in the bathroom, and the shower was nice.

Our room was equipped with a color TV and a desk and chair next to it, which is ideal for people who may want to work on their laptops. I am not sure if this hotel provides complimentary Wi-Fi.

The pool area was decent. My friend and I went for a swim both nights we were there, and were lucky enough to have the place to ourselves for the most part. I must say though, going at the end of the day like that, the men's bathroom was disgusting. Warm, dirty water everywhere, and the toilets were practically clogged with used toilet paper.

Another beef I had with the hotel was that they don't provide complimentary breakfast. The most they have is a coffee and juice machine in the lobby. I wasn't impressed at all. Thankfully, there is a supermarket across the street, which is just a short walk away.

My complaints with this hotel didn't make or break it for me, of course. I was overall satisfied with our room and would most likely recommend staying here to a friend. Happy travels!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2008

Stayed here for two days in October 2008 between a move. The hotel is in a great location right off Route 128/I-95 and very close to the I-95/I-93 Interchange. We had a friendly greeting from the front desk staffer and check-in went quickly. The key was a bulkier fob and not the normal key card.

My husband and I stayed in a king size room. We were on the back side of the hotel facing away from the street-side, overlooking grass, trees, and parking. The room was clean and neat. Hallways were quiet during our stay.

The room contained a mini-fridge and a microwave. A grocery store is located across the street and several restaurants from take-out to sit-down fare (Tex-Mex, Sandwiches, Pizza, Chinese, Burgers, etc.) are also located within walking distance.

The fan in the bathroom was always on. We called down to the front desk thinking we were missing a switch to turn it off, but were told the fans are always on. It was loud and definitely annoying. Water pressure in the shower was very good, but I wasn’t a fan of shampoo packets over a bottle.

WiFi was available, but only for a fee. Hotel has cable, including HBO. Nothing much of interest to us was on television the nights we were there, so we decided to rent a movie. It was $13. Maybe that's the going rate, but seemed steep to me. While the rooms looked like they’d had some relatively recent updating, the televisions were still standard tube televisions and not flat screens.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I am not a picky person when it comes to hotels. All I ask for is for a clean room and amenities that work. Neither was the case in this hotel. Upon arrival to our room, we discovered that it had been given a quick "once over," not a thorough cleaning. This was evidenced by the over-abundance of hairs on the tub, toilet and sink in the bathroom, and the stains on the sheets. Our first morning, we were awakened by knocking at our door at 8am (despite the "do not disturb" sign) by the chamber maids. Wanting to get to Salem, we hurriedly showered and left by 9am. Upon arrival back around 9pm, we found that our room was just as we'd left it, with no new towels or sheets and the bed not made. When I called down to the front desk, I let it ring at least 20 times before the manager finally answered. After explaining why I was calling and asking for some clean towels, my request was met with rudeness and attitude. Needless to say, the next morning, the chamber maids once again woke us up at 8am (again despite the sign). We were so mad we packed and left. For the duration of our stay, neither elevator was in operation, which meant lugging all of our suitcases and coolers up two flights of stairs from the parking lot. I travel quite a bit and I have never encountered such a negative situation before or since. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2008

Stayed here for 5 nights in May 2008 and for the price it was very good value. It is about a mile from the train station which is a brisk 20 mins walk on the flat.

The Red Roof Inn was very clean and staff were friendly so couldn't fault it. Wish we had hired a car so we could have explored the local area.

The Mall opposite has restaurants & supermarket so it's never very far to buy some breakfast or dinner!

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Just returned from 10 days staying at the Red Roof Woburn and all in all it's well worth the money,comfortable large room with fridge and microwave even an ironing board and iron which was not used because although they advertise a coin laundry on the premises they don't have one and according to the manager haven't had one for over a year,but fair play to him he knocked $40 off the bill for the inconvience of having to bring back our dirty undies!
Getting into central Boston is easy it's about a 20 minute walk to the train station and the trip into town takes about 25 minutes,the trains run frequently and on time,clean carriages,polite staff and only $9.50 return
If you're staying at the hotel without transport your dining options are a little limited but both the Ninety-Nine and TGI Fridays are only a short stroll across the Mall car park.The Woburn Mall across the street has the usual suspects in it CVS,McDonalds,Papa Ginos Pizza and for the midnight munchies Market Basket food store( they sell very lucky lottery scratch cards).
All in all a good place to stay great value for money and great free hot chocolate,coffee,orange juice and sometimes even cookies in the reception.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple