“Welcome Home”

Winthrop Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Winthrop
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I traveled to Mass. this past weekend with a group of high school debaters to attend a large debate tournament hosted by a certain college in the northeast, located on the Charles River. Because this trip was organized late in the cycle, the hotels close to Harvard Square were solidly booked or beastly expensive. Or both.

I found the Winthrop Arms via google, and after several conversations with David Goll, the owner, we booked five rooms for four nights--me and 12 smart teenagers.

Our welcome at the Arms could not have been warmer. David made sure that everyone was taken care of, and was instantly responsive to concerns. Twelve debaters poses a challenge to a small hotel's internet, but David worked both on Friday and Saturday to make sure we had what we needed. We were able to make a room change for two of our guys without a problem.

The rooms are clean and well-made. The hotel is older but far from decrepit; the rough spots were minor and did not interfere at all with comfort.

The food in the restaurant is terrific--the Seafood Cakes are mostly seafood, with little breading, and they have yummy fried clams.

I would return to this hotel personally at the drop of a hat. The only hesitation I'd have with a group is the small size of the hotel and, for our debate team, the distance to Harvard. But the Winthrop Arms is my go-to place for affordable and convenient places near Boston.

Room Tip: 217 and 218 don't have ocean views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed December 25, 2013

My Son and I were stuck in Providence RI in May 2013 when we went for her graduation. We tried to get out of Providence, Hartford and Boston to no avail. Since our best option in the AM was Boston we headed there and started looking for a hotel. Everything in Boston was $250+ and ratings were poor at best for anything less than that. My son stumbled on a blog that mentioned how good the Winthrop Arms Hotel was, so we called and they had one room left (they only have about 16 rooms). We ate in the resturant when we arrived and were ecstatic. The food was phenominal and the room rate was less than $150. The room had two double beds, a small "living room" area with a TV, refrigerator and coffee maker. The room and bathroom were super clean and the beds comfortable enough. I enjoyed the food and the hotel so much I had to return with my Fiance December 2013 when we went back to visit family in CT for the holidays. We could have flown into Hartford / Springfield out of convenience, but we flew into Boston just to stay at the Winthrop Arms hotel and eat at the resturant. There was a snow storm when we arrived, traffic was at a standstill for almost two hours, and we werent going to make it in time to eat. I had been looking forward to the stuffed scallop and shrimp casserole all week so I called and explained the situation and asked when the resturant was going to close. Although we were not going to make it, Connie (one of the owners) said they would wait for us! Who does that these days ? NOBODY! (almost nobody, becasue The Winthrop Arms Hotel DID!) We were the only two in the resturant and ordered baked stuffed scrod and shrimp & scallops casserole. We also ordered a filet to split since we had not eaten all day on our flight from Phoenix and wanted surf & turf. It was all excellent and we were super pleased with the awesome service and hospitality. This place is an awesome alternative to the overpriced hotels in Boston and at 1/2 the price, is only 10 minutes from Boston Logan Airport. On our way back to the airport we decided to forego Quincy Market and go back to The Wintrop Arms Hotel for luch before our return trip to Phoenix. We were disappointed that we did not see Connie, but we met her husband Dave (the other owner) who was very appreciative of our feedback and also a super nice guy. Will not stay anywhere but The Wintrop Arms Hotel when we are anywhere near Boston! We can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Edward L
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Winthrop arms hotel
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Winthrop Arms Hotel. It was very quick to get to from the airport and provided charming accommodations at a fraction of the price of a hotel at the airport or in Boston.

Exiting Logan Airport from the new rental car garage is tricky. To get to 1A, you have to keep merging and changing lanes, seemingly driving in circles; eventually you get on 1A and then get off very quickly.

Winthrop Arms Hotel is not for everyone! It’s for people who enjoy getting off the beaten path and venturing into non-franchised non-luxury lodgings. It has an old time resort inn sort of feel. It appears that they rent out quite a few rooms longterm but it did not seem to present any problems. When I walked into the lobby I just thought “Yes!” A trip back in time, to a more gracious era.

Parking is definitely different. I couldn’t figure out where to park and there’s nowhere to pull in for check-in, so I had to drive a bit in order to pull over and call for advice. It turns out there was a very close parking space available which the guest clerk directed me to. Then he provided me with a dashboard placard which served as an on-street parking permit.

Here’s the good, the bad, and the indifferent:
GOOD:
• bright spacious cheery room
• heard the sound of the surf when I got out of car
• bathroom very modern & up to date
• hop skip and a jump from the airport
• free wifi
• lighted alcove with full length mirror and roomy closet
• mini fridge & coffee maker
• in-room safe

BAD:
• When you trudge upstairs with your luggage you will find a locked door at the top of the stairs (you have a key to it, but it’s a nuisance at that point to put down all your luggage to unlock the door)
• The hotel layout is confusing because the building is an odd shape and you enter through a corner door. Then the stairs go up at an angle from the middle of the lobby and make a turn. It took me a couple of tries, trudging back down to the desk for help (and back through the locked door at the top of the stairs), before I found my room. It would have helped if the clerk had showed me a map of the floor plan.
• There were holes in the sheets and bath mat.
• I heard a phone from another room, but that was it for noise.
• There is no one on duty after 10:30 pm, but if you need to check in later than that you can make arrangements ahead of time.
• Overall my room was clean but when I went to take a shower I found hairs in several places. Since there was no one on duty at the desk, there wasn’t much I could do about it. I just reminded myself that I have on numerous occasions taken a shower at a gym or hostel immediately after any number of people, so I sucked it up and hopped in the shower.

INDIFFERENT:
• As you can see from the traveler photos, your ocean view looks out on houses that are oceanfront. I’m not complaining, for a $100 room, just letting you know.
• You will find the wifi password in your paperwork. The clerk did not tell me they had free wifi when I checked in and when I tried to get online, the front desk was closed for the night. It took me a while to locate the password.
• Winthrop is on the flight path of planes in and out of Logan. I don’t think I heard them from my room, but if you walk on the beach there will be lots of overflights.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank alooknac
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Nicest folks you'd ever want to meet. Super convenient to the T Train (5 minute drive & $5 parking). VERY clean rooms but check the website or you may have a view of the roof fans which I would not consider a deal breaker. Great restaurant and great neighborhood. Owners remember your name and look to help you with anything you need.

Room Tip: Check the website to select a room that is right for you.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DougF1313
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I always stay at the Arms when visiting Winthrop. Having grown up in the town, I love to visit old haunts and especially enjoy walking along Shore Drive. The Arms is convenient to everything and if you like to walk, it's a great location. It's an easy taxi ride to the Beachmont T-Station. A bus stop is five minutes away.

Room Tip: I stay in Room 218, which is a two room suite. Often my sister will join me and it's ideal. Th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed for our first night after arriving from the UK. The hotel is pretty easy to find from Boston airport and doesnt take very long. When you arrive there may be a group of men outside, dont worry they arent loitering, they are there to valet park your car. There isnt anywhere to self park as is residential but they will unload your bags outside the hotel and go off to park for you. We arrived in the dark and so missed the sign outside, we then spent 10 minutes driving round and round!! The hotel itself is lovely as are the rooms. We went down to the restaurant for dinner, which I thoroughly recommend and then had a lovely restful sleep. I would definately stay there again as it a nice quiet way to start your holiday after the hustle & bustle of the flight

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The Winthrop Arms is an inexpensive hotel to stay in if you are looking for some place that is clean, comfortable and close to Boston and the airport. The train to Boston is a good walk from the hotel, but very doable. You can catch the Blue Line from Beachmont Station and it will take you straight into town. A short, one stop ride on the Green Line takes you right to Boston Common. The hotel is older, but well kept up. It seems to be a family run business and every person I met was friendly and helpful. The parking on the street is bothersome, as there are many signs posted about not parking here or there at certain hours. I stayed during October, but I imagine this place is a great place to stay during the summer. It is right by the ocean and easy walk to local beaches. I did not get an ocean view and my room was comfortable, but very basic. I got a peek into one of the ocean view rooms and it looked bigger, plus it even had a kitchenette. My trip to the airport was easy and quick. I would definitely return to Winthrop Arms when visiting the Boston area.

Room Tip: Pick an ocean view room if possible.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Vivian M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winthrop
East Boston / Logan Airport
Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor
East Boston / Logan Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Boston Logan Airport

Been to Winthrop Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!