“Slightly disappointed”

The Inn at Crystal Cove
Ranked #1 of 4 Winthrop B&B and Inns
“Slightly disappointed”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Boston was a transit stop for us and after searching the internet from home in Australia we selected this Inn because it had good reviews and the view looked amazing on their website. Upon arrival the staff were excellent with our check in but we were disappointed to find no lift to our 3rd floor room and the stairs were very steep and quite narrow. The room was minuscule with just enough room to walk around the bed. There was no in room fridge or tea and coffee making facilities but there was a communal kitchen on the ground floor where these were offered. As we were only staying overnight we didn't use the fridge. Would be doubtful in case our food was used by someone else as it was just one fridge for everyone. Our balcony was also very tiny but the view truly was magnificent with views over the bay to the CBD. It was very noisy with the hotel being under the flight path of a very busy airport. Overall I could only rate this as an upmarket back packer hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I came here hesitantly, after searching relentlessly for a hotel that wouldn't eat my paycheck for a getaway when my partner came to visit all the way from Texas. I wanted to give him a true "New England" experience, and to see as much as possible of Boston, but the prices of staying in the city for 2 people are ludicrous. I honestly checked everywhere--hostels, hotels, B&B's, inns, vacation rentals, Craigslist, etc.--and I couldn't find anything that fit our budget and offered the kind of stay we wanted. I stumbled on The Inn at Crystal Cove, and was originally hesitant because I didn't know much about Winthrop, and the price for the description of the place seemed "too good to be true." However, after arriving, I was beyond thrilled and so happy I chose to book this place!

The staff is incredible. The people who own the place also run it, and they genuinely want their guests to have a wonderful stay. They know Boston and the surrounding area very well, and were able to give us some great local tips (and I'm from the Boston area myself, so this impressed me).

The room was clean, had plenty of outlets and table space, and the bathroom was well-stocked and very clean. Nice refurb going on in all the rooms, so expect to see even nicer amenities in the future. There's a pool and green lawn for kids to play on, and plenty of free parking. Orient Heights train is nearby, but driving is do-able as well with Logan being less than 10 minutes away and downtown Boston an easy drive with little traffic (you're going the opposite direction from most commuters). We had a beautiful view of the city and the harbor, and a cute little deck off our room. The only con is that the rooms were a little small, and they could use an update in design. There was no elevator.

There was a community room and guests could use the kitchen area. Free coffee was available.

I would definitely stay here again! This was the perfect way to represent New England, and I'm glad to give a local place that works hard a great review.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room with a balcony, so you get a great view!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LynnJD
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Finding the Inn at the end of a long day's travel was such a treat. We got a warm welcome and a quick check-in. At first we were dubious about being on the third floor without an elevator, but after the first suitcase lug, we never gave it another thought. The bus stops right out front and it's an easy ride to the MBTA Blue Line which gets you to an amazing beach called Revere Beach or the other direction to the airport, the aquarium, and downtown. The Inn was quiet and relaxing after a day of sightseeing. Perfect tiny kitchen with full size fridge and stove with oven. Plus toaster, coffee maker and microwave. Really comfortable bed. Bathroom in our unit was pretty small but we got used to it and it certainly wasn't a deal breaker. Sunsets across the harbor were spectacular. The airplanes do make noise, so keep that in mind, but it didn't bother us at night. We wished we had our own balcony so we could sit out and enjoy the sunset with a glass of wine without going downstairs to the deck, so be sure to spend the little extra if one is available. Right down the street the Twist and Shake has huge ice cream cones. We didn't use the pool, but noticed it was well used by families. If you walk a couple of blocks the other direction you are right on the coast for the sunrise.

Room Tip: Get a harbor view with a balcony.
1 Thank Chicago-BB
Lynchburg
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Love the location. After passing through some areas that were very questionable we wondered what we had gotten ourselves into, but not to fear. The Inn, met most of my must have list. The pool is right next to the harbor offered beautiful views over Boston Harbor, with a beautiful sunset in the evening and then the lights of Boston later in the evening. The airport runways appear tp be right in front of the city, so sometimes you can see the planes take off and land as the lights of the city turn on. Most days the planes land and take off away from the Inn. We did not find them intrusive when we were trying to sleep.

Within a couple of blocks are a few restaurants that get good reviews although we just tried one at beakfast, Hi Tide Restauant. We had the stuffed french toast with strawberries and cream cheese-very good as a take-away back to the inn.

The Inn offers a very nice kitchen for guests that includes a Viking four burner gas stove, double door refrigerator and a full separate icemaker that came in handy when we were trying to pack some items we were trying to keep refrigerated on our way home. We stored some food products in the communal refrigeratio and never had a problem. We stayed 3 nights.

The inn has one coin operated wasker/dryer which I didn't see, but asked about. If you need more than that, there is a laudrymat about 300 ft. down the street.

The neighborhhod appears to be undergoing a renovation. It looks like it has been run down in the past, but many of the homes are being renovated and we felt very safe walking in the evening. It appears to be a working class neighborhood.

There are two liqour stores close buy. We brought wine back to the inn and had drinks either by the pool or on the upper decks looking over the harbor in the evening. It was HOT when we were there and the slight breeze off the water was welcome.

The units had air and seemed to work well.

The unit we stayed in 305 was in new condition and although was considered a side unit had a front facing harbor table and chairs available to sit over the harbor at the end of the hall. We preferred to use the harbor fron th table and chairs in front of our unit table tand chairs, so used the table and chairs at the end of the hall right by our unit. We kept the door open using the phone book. No one else was up there. Either the second or third floors offer good views.

We didn't use public transportation, but heard from one of the guests that it cost him $50 to go the 2 1/2 miles to the train station in a taxi. I think he probably got scammed. I think calling ahead fro transportation by taxi would have resulted in a much lower fare but i could be wrong. You might ask. There is a bus that stops right in front of the unit, but may not be convenient for your schedule. Again ask. It looks like it can take over an hour to get into Boston using the bus and train. Again ask if this is a concern. We had a car so it was not an issue.

For handicap, there are rooms on the first floor and there is a ramp to the first floor, but it looks like there may only be two rooms that have no steps. Again ask.

There are steps to use both living area and the kitchen, two down to the living and I think four to the kitchen with no handrail.

The kitchen is gorgeoud and I wish I could have taken it with me to my own home, tile floors, granite counters, dishes, silverware, most everything you might need to cook although no one was cooking while we were there. The kitchen needs some lobster tools. The kitchen cames with tea, coffee, filters and sugar.

Within walking distance to a beach.

We had a nice walk one morning along the water to the Harbor Master's qtrs and had a nice discussion with the harbor police using their nice Adirondack chairs on their fron tporch and they gave us some history of the area.

The nieghborhhod is undergoing a transition. Many of the neighbors are long time residents. There used to be a ferry that went across the harbor directly to Boston but it was discontinued several years ago. The town is trying to arrange their own ferry, perhaps in the next year. Ask if one is available when you visit.

All in all I loved the location and the units but would have chosen a larger bed. The beds are OK, not great, certainly nothing like a Marriott or Hyatt bed. They creak when you trynto stand up and not wake your partner. Side view apartments are fine. I think paying for front views are a waste of money with the extra tables and chairs available.

Two issues need correcting. The bed quality is not great and the wifi is terrible. In this day and age every room and the pool area needs fast good quality wifi. We ended up using our cell phone hot spot to connect our pads to the wifi which shouldn't have been necessary. There were several foreign customers there and they don't always have the option of using their phones here cheaply. I know because we travel in the other direction to visti our daughter in Europe. WIfi needs an upgrade right now.

If I was looking to visit Boston, this place is fine especially if you have a car or can arrange for cheaper cab rates and have another option for Wifi..

Room Tip: 305 had double bed with good views especially from end of hall.
2 Thank brandsberg
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I love the Inn at Crystal Cove. The feel of being in a charming seaside town is topped only by the gorgeous view of Boston against the harbor. The prices are great. The people are great. The pool is great. I stayed for 4 nights and loved every minute. I can't wait to come back! Thanks!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed here at the end of our visit to Boston. Next time, I might consider staying at this hotel and traveling in to the city each day; my teenager actually preferred this hotel to our luxury hotel downtown and she wished for more time here and in the charming little town of Winthrop. The staff was extremely friendly and helped us transfer the rest of our group to this location from their sister property in Brookline. The Inn is quaint, with beautiful views, extremely clean, spacious updated bathrooms and lovely common areas and a refreshing pool, with free wifi. All of this, plus near the airport and reasonable prices. We will return!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking trees in the back; lovely, but some may want to ask for a view of the Bost...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Holden, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The staff was excellent. The room was terrific. We stayed in room 172, which is the 2nd floor - two bedroom apartment. View of the harbor from our outside balcony was great!

Room was very clean, brand new appliances. Full size refrigerator etc. Even had heated floor, not that we needed that in June. Beds were very comfortable. My room had a queen size and the 2nd one had bunk beds for the kids. It was so quiet we never heard the planes at Logan.

You can walk to the beach and a couple of restaurants.

Room Tip: 172, top floor 2 bedroom apartment was great.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winthrop
Winthrop Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Winthrop
Hilton Garden Inn Boston Logan Airport
Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor
Hilton Boston Logan Airport

Been to The Inn at Crystal Cove? Share your experiences!