“fancy chinese”

Golden Ginger
Ranked #8 of 53 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Set back in the new Staples Plaza, Golden Ginger is still new to the town of Wilmington. Has a modern, sleek look and a sushi bar, which I hear is good- as I don't eat sushi. But I really love their food! my fav is spicy crispy shrimp or chicken!!!

We often make reservations for a crowd and love their Mai Tai's!

Reviewed November 18, 2011

Fabulous food, great presentation and decor, top notch wait staff all adds up to the very best restaurant around. They serve everything! American Chinese, Japanese, Sushi-all of it superb.

Reviewed August 8, 2011

Wilmington has never really had an outstanding restaurant, just a lot or run of the mill vanilla places.( 99, Mikes Place, Royal Dynasty, Sonic, etc.) This place is very good in all phases. The food is very good as are the portions and prices. The servers are always very friendly. Its always clean and the decor is nice. The tv at the bar always has the local sports on.. I' ve eaten there, including take out, about 15 times. Parking is easy.

Reviewed February 1, 2010

We ate here for the first time last Friday and we're living for the day when we go back again! My brother lives in Wilmington and he "discovered" this fairly-new restaurant very recently and had been raving about it. I am VERY picky when it comes to Chinese food and sushi, so I admit I was skeptical.

My brother and I split a sashimi appeitzer (pieces of raw fish, no rice) and a "Love Boat" of sushi (for 2) which came with TONS of sushi w/rice, Red Sox rolls (absolutely delicious!) eel, and California rolls. The second I ate my first piece of scrumptious sushimi, I got depressed thinking it would be over soon! HA HA HA! It was actually the freshest, most delcious sushi I have ever had (and believe me, I've been to "stuffy" gourmet sushi bars in Cambridge in the past). My girlfriend who "thought" she hated sushi is now a big fan! She ended up having a Chinese dish (I think it was Shrimp & Scallop Amazing) and LOVED her dish. We also had the best Peking Raviolis ever as well. This little restaurant in Wilmington is a RARE FIND. Everything looks and tastes extremely fresh.

We can't wait to go back! The Mai Tais and Scorpion Bowl were also great!

1  Thank SheElf
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We've been to Golden Ginger twice since it opened at the end of July. The sushi rolling is top notch here. It doesn't fall apart on you when you take a bite. We've had the Red Sox roll (yummy!!), the Romance roll, the spicy tuna and the sweet potato and avocado roll. All were fresh and tasted excellent.

For the Chinese side of the menu, we tried spicy peanut dumplings as an appetizer. They were spicy (which we like) and the dumplings were handmade and steamed perfectly. For dinner, the Peking duck was amazing! They do make it fresh so it takes a while (20 minutes maybe?). But it was worth the wait. The waitress assembles the duck for you tableside in the pancakes with hoison, julienned cucumber and scallions. Very nice touch having them do it for you with the chop sticks. We also tried the Golden Ginger duo, pork ribs and shrimp. Both had their own special sauces. The ribs were small riblets and we had to work around the bones but they were tender. The shrimp was excellent as well. I loved the sauces with each, light, sweet and savory. The presentations at GG are outstanding. They garnishes are absolutely beautiful!

Service is prompt and very friendly. Both waiters earned their 20% tips with ease. Drinks from the bar are very good as well. They offer the standard cocktails and you can also get wine by bottle or glass and sake.

This is definitely one of our new favorite places and apparently everyone else's. The last time we went in it was really busy and even saw a few people waiting for a table. I love to see a new restaurant do well. This is a great addition to the Wilmington area!