“Good casual Indian food”
Review of Spice Root

Spice Root
Ranked #6 of 48 Restaurants in Williamstown
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Ate here on a Friday night and overall liked it. The food was good and the restaurant itself was nicely decorated. It was quite affordable (about $30 for an appetizer, lassi, and two entrees) and the portions were generous. The service was friendly but rather inexperienced. It's not a special occasion sort of place, but I could easily see this being a regular spot if I lived in the area. New England is not really the place to get good Indian food, so this is definitely one of the better Indian places I've eaten at in the region.

There are newer reviews for Spice Root

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Although this restaurant was highly recommended, we were very disappointed. The service was
lackadaisical and the food very ordinary. Prices were not low and there was a $2.95 charge for each 3 pieces of papadam. I have never been to an Indian restaurant that did not serve papadam as an "apertif" and kept refilling the basket until dinner was ready.
We won't be going back.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We visited the restaurant a couple of weeks ago. There were other people in the restaurant but I wouldn't say that they were busy. The pro was that the food was pretty good. My husband is Indian so we are pretty familiar with Indian food. The cons: they wouldn't substitute brown rice for white rice, and charged extra for that. That substitution is becoming fairly common in other restaurants. We were supposed to get a discount based on the hotel in which we were staying. It took us three times and three different people to get the discount. That felt uncomfortable and unnecessary. Finally, at the end of the meal we ordered something for take out. It took them quite a while to bring it out. Thus, I gave them three starts due to the lack of quality service.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were in Williamstown for the free outdoor production of Dracula. We have so many Indian Restaurants at home that we frequently eat at or take out but we saw the tripadvisor ratings in the window were pretty good. Three of us decided to share our meals so I didn't ask for eight out of ten on the hot scale as I usually do. The staff was very Pleasant. They had Pilsner Urquell that was a good sign. The Samosas were perfect. We all had vegetarian entrees The meal was relaxing we did not feel rushed. I will be going back.

1  Thank Tedravelstheworld
Reviewed July 8, 2013

In Williamstown for the first time and looking for a place within walking distance of the theatre festival - we'd seen a number of ethnic (Indian, Thai, Vietnamese) restaurants on the street, and decided to try Spice Root. Good choice! Pleasant, attentive, efficient service - staff easy to talk to and helpful with decisions (we enjoy Indian cuisine, but are in no way experts in its subtlties). Attractive restaurant - not fancy or elegant, but nicely decorated in bright colors, nice tableware. Food was very good - an enjoyable meal overall, and we'd certainly return for another visit if we're back in the area. Would give it 4.5 stars, if I could figure out how to do that ....